• ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Just curious on the sentiment here...

This is regarding home security. How secure is secure enough? I know things have been getting worse with an uptick in violence lately and was just re-evaluating my own home security which is already far above average.

My biggest concerns right now are windows / sliding glass door.

Already have fence, security system, cameras, dogs, reinforced doors, and of course myself inside, but I'm mostly concerned about the glass.

Do any of you worry about your windows / sliding glass doors being a vulnerable spot? Have any of you tried the security film or interior window bars? I was looking at "Mr Goodbar" a Canadian company that makes window bars you mount on the inside and can be opened from the inside via a swinging mechanism as well.

For the sliding glass door I'm at a loss of what to do without making it look too gaudy. I considered one of those accordion style security gates to mount on the inside and install a U channel at the top to give it more stability. I didn't really want ot replace the whole door and even if I did I would likely need some sort of heavy duty iron / hardened steel sliding doors and they are likely $$$$

Thoughts? Options? Too worried?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Short of living in a vault you're going to make some compromises. . I made several "improvements" before I finally decided I was going overboard. I have enough passive and active securities in place to where it would be almost impossible to get to me before I saw you coming.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Depends on your risk tolerance. If your place is a harder target than your neighbors', often that's enough.

I do have a powder coated grill (i.e. thin bars) on the inside of the glass on a couple of exterior doors. [1]

[1] - https://www.goodbarsecurity.com/product/bd26-door-security-grille-36-high/

Oh it definitely is the hardest target of any home near mine, but I'm not really worried in regards to that...it's more in the case of unexpected violence and needing to have a secure place for x amount of time. My home isn't really built to withstand an apocalypse, but I could equip it to withstand an angry mob.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Short of living in a vault you're going to make some compromises. . I made several "improvements" before I finally decided I was going overboard. I have enough passive and active securities in place to where it would be almost impossible to get to me before I saw you coming.

That's fair. I know one can definitely get carried away with home security..lol...looks in mirror.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How secure is secure enough?

Enough to get the average mope to mope on over to someone else's house.

Do enough, visibly, to de-select your house from the way most common type of problem - residential burglary when you're not home.

Do enough, visibly, to de-select your home from a night-time home-invasion, which are probably the 2nd most common.

Then come to the realization that if your home is specifically targeted - what you've done probably won't work 100%.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I am also curious about the window film. That is my biggest concern.

the sliding glass door has a wooden piece that keeps it from sliding open. Hard door to break.

So from what I have found it can slow down someone from getting it but it isn't going to stop them obviously. The biggest step that people forget which causes window film to become ineffective is caulking the film to the window frame with an industrial strength adhesive sealant. I've seen lots of people leave bad reviews for security film saying it didn't work like it should, but they just slapped the film on the window and called it a day. The adhesive sealant will bond the film to the door frame and create an elastic bond which will hold it all together until it is physically torn through.

It should give you an extra 30-60 seconds assuming the person is hell bend on getting in and doesn't give up after the window doesn't give.

Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfxRCvuYog&t=233s

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    With respect to unexpected violence/angry mob scenario, what about having precut plywood to screw over the windows if things started to escalate?
    Could be installed relatively quickly with a cordless drill. Cheap.
    Or to let the light in, perhaps heavy wire mesh on pre-made frames for the same purpose.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    With respect to unexpected violence/angry mob scenario, what about having precut plywood to screw over the windows if things started to escalate?
    Could be installed relatively quickly with a cordless drill. Cheap.
    Or to let the light in, perhaps heavy wire mesh on pre-made frames for the same purpose.

Thought about the plywood, not so much about the heavy wire mesh. Not sure if I'd find something heavy enough and cheap enough for my liking but I can give it a look, also would have to build some sort of frame for the, let's say, welded wire type of fencing material.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thought about the plywood, not so much about the heavy wire mesh. Not sure if I'd find something heavy enough and cheap enough for my liking but I can give it a look, also would have to build some sort of frame for the, let's say, welded wire type of fencing material.

I have plenty of plywood in the barn for the 3-6 of the vulnerable points, depending on how concerned I am.

If you want something more pleasant looking, look at having the glass laminated. But understand for it to be effective you need to laminate all the way to the edge UNDER the glazing bead/frame. If you dont, the broken glass will just fall out in one big piece. If properly anchored under the mounting frame, the laminate will hold the glass in place and make it very hard to get through, even with a knife.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I have plenty of plywood in the barn for the 3-6 of the vulnerable points, depending on how concerned I am.

If you want something more pleasant looking, look at having the glass laminated. But understand for it to be effective you need to laminate all the way to the edge UNDER the glazing bead/frame. If you dont, the broken glass will just fall out in one big piece. If properly anchored under the mounting frame, the laminate will hold the glass in place and make it very hard to get through, even with a knife.

Sounds similar to the security film setup. Plywood seems inexpensive. Could pre-drill/plug the holes and just have those ready I guess.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds similar to the security film setup. Plywood seems inexpensive. Could pre-drill/plug the holes and just have those ready I guess.

Except if you have the film installed today, Tomorrow when somebody tries to break in while you are at work, they dont get in. The plywood idea is great if you know "the storm"(figuratively or literally) is coming, but gets in the way and is ugly if you want protection all the time.

Personally, I think both is a good idea. Even if I had laminate, I'd still plywood up the openings if I knew trouble was eminent because if they damage the plywood, they may not hurt the glass and after it all cools down and I take down the wood, its good as new. replacing plywood is cheaper than glass.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Except if you have the film installed today, Tomorrow when somebody tries to break in while you are at work, they dont get in. The plywood idea is great if you know "the storm"(figuratively or literally) is coming, but gets in the way and is ugly if you want protection all the time.

Personally, I think both is a good idea. Even if I had laminate, I'd still plywood up the openings if I knew trouble was eminent because if they damage the plywood, they may not hurt the glass and after it all cools down and I take down the wood, its good as new. replacing plywood is cheaper than glass.

Agreed. The film is a pain to install. Definitely doing it on my sliding glass door but don't think I'll do it on the windows. I think the sliding glass door would be the prime entry point vs a window which I don't have many of anyway. I'm guessing if I had the glass laminated it would cost me much more than installing the security film on my own.

I didn't even consider polycarbonate sheets. I'm pretty sure that would be extremely impact resistant and not look too bad if I could install them over the exterior of the windows.

Edit: Just looked up the price of Polycarbonate sheetings...pass lol. Would cost nearly $300 per window and at that price I would just replace the windows.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Not worried about the house. If they get up the half mile long driveway, past the perimeter alarms, and the tripwires set when I am not home, they're going to have a challenge finding valuables. If we're home when the mob comes then we have a clear field of fire for a hundred yards or more from the roof. We'll drop them before they get to the house. If the house is compromised, the safe room will hold from anything civilians can bring.

Of course, by then the neighbors will have thinned the mob numbers quite a bit.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I agree that most homes can use an upgrade over the basic locks and lights approach.
    Pre cut and numbered plywood is cost effective, and simple. if you want fancy, paint them to match your siding or trim. Brother in Law has those on hurricane standby in Fort Meyers, Fl.

The Security film is good also by following good installation guide lines. I personally don't like the barred jail door look on my house, but if the hood goes south... i guess they are ok.

Lately i'm seeing a lot of doorbell cams, that go to showing on your cellphone. it could be recorded, so after the fact might yield an ID or description. Window stickers and even a few fake spare cameras might move the mope away.

Basically, if you leave your castle, raise the bridge, feed the gators, and hope the cameras are running. Insurance might give you peace of mind, but, Smith & Wesson lets me sleep all night.
    Good Luck.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Not worried about the house. If they get up the half mile long driveway, past the perimeter alarms, and the tripwires set when I am not home, they're going to have a challenge finding valuables. If we're home when the mob comes then we have a clear field of fire for a hundred yards or more from the roof. We'll drop them before they get to the house. If the house is compromised, the safe room will hold from anything civilians can bring.

Of course, by then the neighbors will have thinned the mob numbers quite a bit.

The problem there is, assuming we're not in an apocalypse and there is still some form of law, you would be liable there...you can't shoot someone for being on your yard. If they're firing at you, I believe you'd be good. All hypothetical and I get where you're coming from.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The problem there is, assuming we're not in an apocalypse and there is still some form of law, you would be liable there...you can't shoot someone for being on your yard. If they're firing at you, I believe you'd be good. All hypothetical and I get where you're coming from.

If a mob is coming up the driveway of a remote rural residence the assumption is they are intent on doing me harm. Post apocalyptic has nothing to do with it: we live well away from the urban centers for the very reasons that are apparent now.

Even post apocalypse there will be some form of rule of law and a price to pay, but one has to survive the initial encounter to worry about that. None of this is unconsidered for me, I’ve devoted most of my life to it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom