Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

How secure is secure enough?

Just curious on the sentiment here...

This is regarding home security. How secure is secure enough? I know things have been getting worse with an uptick in violence lately and was just re-evaluating my own home security which is already far above average.

My biggest concerns right now are windows / sliding glass door.

Already have fence, security system, cameras, dogs, reinforced doors, and of course myself inside, but I'm mostly concerned about the glass.

Do any of you worry about your windows / sliding glass doors being a vulnerable spot? Have any of you tried the security film or interior window bars? I was looking at "Mr Goodbar" a Canadian company that makes window bars you mount on the inside and can be opened from the inside via a swinging mechanism as well.

For the sliding glass door I'm at a loss of what to do without making it look too gaudy. I considered one of those accordion style security gates to mount on the inside and install a U channel at the top to give it more stability. I didn't really want ot replace the whole door and even if I did I would likely need some sort of heavy duty iron / hardened steel sliding doors and they are likely $$$$

Thoughts? Options? Too worried?

User Info Menu

Depends on your risk tolerance. If your place is a harder target than your neighbors', often that's enough.

I do have a powder coated grill (i.e. thin bars) on the inside of the glass on a couple of exterior doors. [1]

[1] - https://www.goodbarsecurity.com/prod...rille-36-high/
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

Short of living in a vault you're going to make some compromises. . I made several "improvements" before I finally decided I was going overboard. I have enough passive and active securities in place to where it would be almost impossible to get to me before I saw you coming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Depends on your risk tolerance. If your place is a harder target than your neighbors', often that's enough.

I do have a powder coated grill (i.e. thin bars) on the inside of the glass on a couple of exterior doors. [1]

[1] - https://www.goodbarsecurity.com/prod...rille-36-high/
    Oh it definitely is the hardest target of any home near mine, but I'm not really worried in regards to that...it's more in the case of unexpected violence and needing to have a secure place for x amount of time. My home isn't really built to withstand an apocalypse, but I could equip it to withstand an angry mob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Itchytriggerfinger View Post
    Short of living in a vault you're going to make some compromises. . I made several "improvements" before I finally decided I was going overboard. I have enough passive and active securities in place to where it would be almost impossible to get to me before I saw you coming.
    That's fair. I know one can definitely get carried away with home security..lol...looks in mirror.

User Info Menu

How secure is secure enough?

Enough to get the average mope to mope on over to someone else's house.

Do enough, visibly, to de-select your house from the way most common type of problem - residential burglary when you're not home.

Do enough, visibly, to de-select your home from a night-time home-invasion, which are probably the 2nd most common.

Then come to the realization that if your home is specifically targeted - what you've done probably won't work 100%.

Expert

User Info Menu

I am also curious about the window film. That is my biggest concern.

the sliding glass door has a wooden piece that keeps it from sliding open. Hard door to break.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dprimm View Post
    I am also curious about the window film. That is my biggest concern.

the sliding glass door has a wooden piece that keeps it from sliding open. Hard door to break.
    So from what I have found it can slow down someone from getting it but it isn't going to stop them obviously. The biggest step that people forget which causes window film to become ineffective is caulking the film to the window frame with an industrial strength adhesive sealant. I've seen lots of people leave bad reviews for security film saying it didn't work like it should, but they just slapped the film on the window and called it a day. The adhesive sealant will bond the film to the door frame and create an elastic bond which will hold it all together until it is physically torn through.

It should give you an extra 30-60 seconds assuming the person is hell bend on getting in and doesn't give up after the window doesn't give.

Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfxRCvuYog&t=233s

User Info Menu

With respect to unexpected violence/angry mob scenario, what about having precut plywood to screw over the windows if things started to escalate?
    Could be installed relatively quickly with a cordless drill. Cheap.
    Or to let the light in, perhaps heavy wire mesh on pre-made frames for the same purpose.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    With respect to unexpected violence/angry mob scenario, what about having precut plywood to screw over the windows if things started to escalate?
    Could be installed relatively quickly with a cordless drill. Cheap.
    Or to let the light in, perhaps heavy wire mesh on pre-made frames for the same purpose.
    Thought about the plywood, not so much about the heavy wire mesh. Not sure if I'd find something heavy enough and cheap enough for my liking but I can give it a look, also would have to build some sort of frame for the, let's say, welded wire type of fencing material.

Last edited by ajeandy; 08-13-2020 at 10:07.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast