• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Evaluating my rifles and I keep reading that the .22 is a good option due to the plentiful ammo, weight of ammo etc...

Would be good for taking small game for food. Someone suggested I scrap the rifle and look specifically at a Ruger Mark IV Target Pistol.

Just curious on some thoughts around that suggestion.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    You still need a rifle. Doesn't have to be new, doesn't have to be fancy but it needs to be accurate.

If I didn't have any 22's I would either pick up a good used bolt or semi-auto rifle, and a 22 semi-auto handgun. There are plenty of options new and used for 22 handguns including the traditional Ruger Mark series Browning buck marks, Smith & Wesson victory's, and of course something like Colt woodsman on the higher end. For a more tactical type of 22 there is the Taurus TX22, Glock 44, Smith and Wesson M&P 22 compact, and others.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I agree with JW, you still need a rifle.

I wouldn't say that rimfire is any more plentiful than other calibers (especially now), but it is lightweight. There are so many choices for rifles in .22 LR, it's hard to go wrong. A bolt rifle with a basic scope will bring you more small game to the dinner table than the best target pistol. Hunting with a pistol requires a greater degree of skill than the average shooter has (without a lot of practices and especially with small game). Bolt guns in .22LR can be had for less than a target pistol and will give you more.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    If you are just interested in taking small game another option might be a good high quality air rifle. There are air rifles today that rival a .22 rifle. I have killed numerous rabbits with mine as well as garden pests. Can't begin to count how many pigeons I have killed with it. Pellets can be found most anywhere and are cheap. Also another factor in their favor is they are quiet. I have killed hundreds of starlings with mine. A well placed shot will take their head clean off. I have had mine for at least 30 years and it still shoots great.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    .22 rifle was the most fun I could have as a kid, and still is the most fun for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 10/22 is the most versatile and fun to shoot firearm I own. Nothing puts a smile behind an old gray beard like shooting holes through one of the old lady's cookie sheets when I'm out of targets.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have an old Savage model 6A semiauto .22 rifle that was given to me 50 years ago as my high school graduation present and a Ruger 10/22. When I take them both to the range, no one can believe that the old Savage will shoot every bit as good as the Ruger. Do yourself a favor. Take a look at the older .22 rifles. Not only will they cost you 1/2 the price of a newer rifle, but if they get scratched up in the field, it will just add a little more character to a fine old rifle.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    It's easy to store a crap-ton of .22's. Another option is getting weapons that can be converted to .22. I have a couple of kits for my AR's and one for my 1911. I also have a Ruger Mark 4 and several accurate .22 rifles.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Here's a couple of current threads that have some good insights into rimfire firearms and ammo availability that you might want to check out ... be warned, there is the usual INGO banter and drivel layered in between the tidbits of good advice.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/483488-22lr-rifle-range-fun.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../466281-rimfire-madness-infection-begins.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/484172-22lr-ammo-availability.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/475056-22lr-range-fun.html

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Another big advantage to the 22lr is noise, or more accurately, lack of. A rifle shooting standard velocity ammo is fairly quiet even without a suppressor, and probably would be inaudible past a couple hundred yards in a wooded area. My old Winchester 67 with its 27" barrel is extremely quiet using SV ammo. If the situation is so bad that we're hunting small game to survive, the last thing I'd want to do is draw attention to myself.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    Keep both. They dont take up room, and you'll have a rifle/ pistol combination.
    The Ruger series of pistols are super IMO. I have had both the MK1 and the MK2.
    I am looking for a nice MK4 at the moment.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If you're planning on small game hunting, a rifle is waaay more effective than a pistol. On the other hand, if SHTF is so bad that you're subsistence hunting, you might go hungry due to over hunting.

Another reason for .22s is for practice/training during lower-case shtf, like shortages of ammo right now or or full blown apocalyptic SHTF where you'd want to keep center fire ammo for defense

Top Bottom