Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anybody checking out/joining American Contingency with Mike Glover?

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    The interview is optional from what I understand. It's just for folks looking to get a verified tag which is supposed to put other members more at ease when communicating about tactics, training opportunities, Intel, comms plans, etc.
    I believe the vetted members will eventually be privy to more info, and basically everyone on the AMCON page on Locals will be a vetted member, once the backlog is over. I could be wrong.

For now most of the "intel" is posted in an IG story, but he certainly hopes to migrate away from that soon. AMCONIndiana is getting organized for radio comms and meet ups among regional participants, but this will happen quicker once people are vetted as well.
    Not a statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ditcherman View Post
    I believe the vetted members will eventually be privy to more info, and basically everyone on the AMCON page on Locals will be a vetted member, once the backlog is over. I could be wrong.

For now most of the "intel" is posted in an IG story, but he certainly hopes to migrate away from that soon. AMCONIndiana is getting organized for radio comms and meet ups among regional participants, but this will happen quicker once people are vetted as well.
    Interesting. I searched for an Indiana group and didn't see one but admittedly did not search very hard. I just downloaded the Locals app today versus logging in online every time. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is structured.

I'm not going to ever be on Instagram, so hopefully the move away from that happens soon. Security and personal info concerns are real enough just with the app. No way am I interested in giving any of that data or activity info to Facebook / Instagram.

*ETA: I found the Indiana group.
    Last edited by MCgrease08; 09-20-2020 at 22:00.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Interesting. I searched for an Indiana group and didn't see one but admittedly did not search very hard. I just downloaded the Locals app today versus logging in online every time. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is structured.

I'm not going to ever be on Instagram, so hopefully the move away from that happens soon. Security and personal info concerns are real enough just with the app. No way am I interested in giving any of that data or activity info to Facebook / Instagram.

*ETA: I found the Indiana group.
    Speaking of that, I've often wondered how much info they get if you only set up a fake or burner account.

My understanding is that pictures on your phone are geotagged, and certainly have other info attached, Apple may refuse to give that info away but what happens when we share them a platform, or even through a text? Does all that info go through? What's the difference between FB/IG and twitter and texting? If they want you they know where to find you, I think.

I'm pretty convinced that the only way is to be a little fish in a big pond, when 'they' end up changing some law to make what we've always done somehow illegal. That, and faith that the powers that be aren't all that well organized.

ETA Multiple questions but somewhat related, and not necessarily directed all at you MCgrease.
    Not a statist.

User Info Menu

I just found this video. It seems that Mike Glover is dropping all normal social media after his businesses were either suppressed or canceled on the mainstream social media platforms. He is moving to "Local". Haven't heard of it before myself, but here is the link and video.

www.fieldcraftsurvival.locals.com

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal

User Info Menu

Yup. Glover is living one of Locals major benefits- a way to provide communications/content that isn't censurable by the big platform owners. He is actually practicing preparedness by having a backup plan and executing when necessary.
    Dems (Politicians/MSM/Tech/etc): Replace Free Speech With Curated Information

User Info Menu

Dave Rubin has been doing a series highlighting creators using Locals, including a recent interview with Mike Glover.

Also, American Contingency hired an actual background check company for the verification process. I got an email today with the link. You have to pay $20 to get the background check done to be verified. Some states add an extra fee. The NY state fee is $90 additional.

No more Google Forms or Zoom calls for vetting.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

User Info Menu

I'd recommend reading "Gun Control in the Third Reich". When the wrong folks get their hands on the data there will be no little fish left alone.

Anybody who thinks that just hosting a different open platform is going to keep them safe is just kidding themselves. The 'vetting' and extra information given will all be used. Mr. Glover should know this if he stayed awake in his OPSEC classes.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    I'd recommend reading "Gun Control in the Third Reich". When the wrong folks get their hands on the data there will be no little fish left alone.

Anybody who thinks that just hosting a different open platform is going to keep them safe is just kidding themselves. The 'vetting' and extra information given will all be used. Mr. Glover should know this if he stayed awake in his OPSEC classes.
    I'm still on the fence about this. Took many OPSEC classes and stayed awake. What I'm debating is this:
    1) Having bought a new firearm before- List.
    2) Having owned Class III firearms etc before- List.
    3) LTCH- List
    4) Firearm forums- List
    5) Retired Vet- List
    Etc Etc Etc
    Just don't know if I want to get on 1 more list by joining

Bob
    The failure to plan and practice, is to plan and practice failure

User Info Menu

The vetting process seems like a red flag to me. Vetting for what? Just to keep potential criminals out of a mutual support/info sharing group? The idea seems to be a network of decentralized groups to share a common goal of preparedness. Why the need for official background checks just for that? Also, all these people are putting blind trust into someone they’ve never met because he’s former Special Forces? They’re sending this background company all of their PII and linking it to this group? Seems like one would
    be better off to stick with people they know in the community than trying to link up with people on that website. Talk to folks at the range, go to Appleseed, etc.
    'Til that time I will remain, 'til the sinners lay down with the saints.

Expert

User Info Menu

When my ex-wife and I were signing up to be foster parents, before adopting our son, we had to go through the same background checks, using the same company. Never had any red-flags show up in credit monitoring based on that background check.

From my understanding, this background check is to make sure people on the platform are who they say they are. That kmitch on there resolves to an actual person with an actual address and is not on the registered sex offenders list.

As for being on lists, presumably y'all have drivers licenses, social security numbers and pay taxes, that's all the government needs to track you down.
    Opinions may vary, , it is the internets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast