Anybody checking out/joining American Contingency with Mike Glover?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Mike Glover, Green Beret, and of Fieldcraft Survival has started American Contingency, a group that he hopes will be able to share intel and resources to "protect and defend themselves, their families and their communities from violent actors in turbulent times".
    https://www.americancontingency.com

He is preparing for the social media bias by having his own app called Locals, as well as what he calls a secure server, it just looks like another web page to me but I'm not a tech guy.

His thoughts and reactions to what is going on connect with a lot of us on here. The only downside I see is "now you're on a list", may or may not be true. If there is a list, I'm probably already on it, but I'm a little fish in a big pond, and our gov't seems so inept I'm not too worried about them really.

Just wondering what other's thoughts are on this attempt to organize, educate and prepare like minded people?

Here's his latest video from this morning;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NP4jG1_Xno

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have been actively following American Contingency, his Instagram stories do a great job spreading intelligence real team & sourced by volunteers around the country. Just like truckers get real time updates on the road of potential risks ahead, he's building a civilian "crowd sourced" intelligence network for families to stay safe. With Antifa getting more and more organized across regions, this is a very important network to help good citizens mitigate risks of being victimized by anarchists.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    He is preparing for the social media bias by having his own app called Locals, as well as what he calls a secure server, it just looks like another web page to me but I'm not a tech guy.

Locals is a new type of social media platform (combining blogging, video and some direct communication features) where people setup either creator-driven or group-driven sites. It makes it easy to post and share info and each Locals group is owned/controlled as a web site by it's creator, not as a sub-site of a large platform like Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. So, Locals is actually hundreds of separate web sites using basically the same software. I follow a couple of people there (Scott Adams and Andy Ngo) who either have been or likely will soon be banned on other platforms. Since they own the servers involved, they cannot be banned. You can setup a feed to see new info that comes out from anyone you've subscribed to in one place.

Locals is only a few months old and has some rough spots, but they are rapidly adding updates and getting it polished.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I have been actively following American Contingency, his Instagram stories do a great job spreading intelligence real team & sourced by volunteers around the country. Just like truckers get real time updates on the road of potential risks ahead, he's building a civilian "crowd sourced" intelligence network for families to stay safe. With Antifa getting more and more organized across regions, this is a very important network to help good citizens mitigate risks of being victimized by anarchists.
    This is a much better summary than what I provided, thanks for the more better wordses.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Locals is a new type of social media platform (combining blogging, video and some direct communication features) where people setup either creator-driven or group-driven sites. It makes it easy to post and share info and each Locals group is owned/controlled as a web site by it's creator, not as a sub-site of a large platform like Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. So, Locals is actually hundreds of separate web sites using basically the same software. I follow a couple of people there (Scott Adams and Andy Ngo) who either have been or likely will soon be banned on other platforms. Since they own the servers involved, they cannot be banned. You can setup a feed to see new info that comes out from anyone you've subscribed to in one place.

Locals is only a few months old and has some rough spots, but they are rapidly adding updates and getting it polished.
    Thanks for the clarification on Locals. I’m on it but didn’t really understand how it worked, seems like a good thing to do. Mike did say he had a personal conversation with the head of Locals and was assured nothing would be filtered.
    Mike still seems to be doing most of his stuff through IG stories, and live videos. I would like to see something not so bandwidth dependent and battery draining, when he’s just talking anyway, it’s not like it’s a YouTube instruction video. Some places my phone struggles to stream IG live and I’m not going to sit at a computer monitor for 45 minutes to listen.

Full disclosure; I’ve signed up, gave my cc info and the 5 bucks they were asking for, and haven’t been hauled off yet...

One if the biggest hurdles he has is to separate AMCON from being associated with militias and violence. If you let people post and talk back, it makes it hard to overcome stereotypes that are getting thrown his way.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bumping this as I just set up an account. On the surface this seems like an awesome idea to be able to stay plugged in, get Intel, find training opportunities, build local networks and more through a decentralized network.

It does seem a little confusing about how it all works, but I'm interested in seeing how it goes. Apparently they are giving people the option to get verified through a basic background check and 15 minute interview. That seems like a crap ton of work, but would help provide some peace of mind when communicating with others on the platform.

My username and avatar on there is the same as here in case anyone else wants to connect on AmCon.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    When it first came out I opted in. At the point of having to go through an interview to belong, I opted out. I like the idea of a network of people that can help each other in an emergency, M.A.G. like, I didn't care for the idea of the interview to belong.

Bob

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When it first came out I opted in. At the point of having to go through an interview to belong, I opted out. I like the idea of a network of people that can help each other in an emergency, M.A.G. like, I didn't care for the idea of the interview to belong.

Bob

The interview is optional from what I understand. It's just for folks looking to get a verified tag which is supposed to put other members more at ease when communicating about tactics, training opportunities, Intel, comms plans, etc.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The interview is optional from what I understand. It's just for folks looking to get a verified tag which is supposed to put other members more at ease when communicating about tactics, training opportunities, Intel, comms plans, etc.
    I believe the vetted members will eventually be privy to more info, and basically everyone on the AMCON page on Locals will be a vetted member, once the backlog is over. I could be wrong.

For now most of the "intel" is posted in an IG story, but he certainly hopes to migrate away from that soon. AMCONIndiana is getting organized for radio comms and meet ups among regional participants, but this will happen quicker once people are vetted as well.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I believe the vetted members will eventually be privy to more info, and basically everyone on the AMCON page on Locals will be a vetted member, once the backlog is over. I could be wrong.

For now most of the "intel" is posted in an IG story, but he certainly hopes to migrate away from that soon. AMCONIndiana is getting organized for radio comms and meet ups among regional participants, but this will happen quicker once people are vetted as well.

Interesting. I searched for an Indiana group and didn't see one but admittedly did not search very hard. I just downloaded the Locals app today versus logging in online every time. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is structured.

I'm not going to ever be on Instagram, so hopefully the move away from that happens soon. Security and personal info concerns are real enough just with the app. No way am I interested in giving any of that data or activity info to Facebook / Instagram.

*ETA: I found the Indiana group.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Interesting. I searched for an Indiana group and didn't see one but admittedly did not search very hard. I just downloaded the Locals app today versus logging in online every time. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is structured.

I'm not going to ever be on Instagram, so hopefully the move away from that happens soon. Security and personal info concerns are real enough just with the app. No way am I interested in giving any of that data or activity info to Facebook / Instagram.

*ETA: I found the Indiana group.
    Speaking of that, I've often wondered how much info they get if you only set up a fake or burner account.

My understanding is that pictures on your phone are geotagged, and certainly have other info attached, Apple may refuse to give that info away but what happens when we share them a platform, or even through a text? Does all that info go through? What's the difference between FB/IG and twitter and texting? If they want you they know where to find you, I think.

I'm pretty convinced that the only way is to be a little fish in a big pond, when 'they' end up changing some law to make what we've always done somehow illegal. That, and faith that the powers that be aren't all that well organized.

ETA Multiple questions but somewhat related, and not necessarily directed all at you MCgrease.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I just found this video. It seems that Mike Glover is dropping all normal social media after his businesses were either suppressed or canceled on the mainstream social media platforms. He is moving to "Local". Haven't heard of it before myself, but here is the link and video.

www.fieldcraftsurvival.locals.com

[video=youtube;6KhjiaVYpwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhjiaVYpwk[/video]

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yup. Glover is living one of Locals major benefits- a way to provide communications/content that isn't censurable by the big platform owners. He is actually practicing preparedness by having a backup plan and executing when necessary.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Dave Rubin has been doing a series highlighting creators using Locals, including a recent interview with Mike Glover.

[video=youtube_share;L7TGgf-XwMQ]http://youtu.be/L7TGgf-XwMQ[/video]

Also, American Contingency hired an actual background check company for the verification process. I got an email today with the link. You have to pay $20 to get the background check done to be verified. Some states add an extra fee. The NY state fee is $90 additional.

No more Google Forms or Zoom calls for vetting.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'd recommend reading "Gun Control in the Third Reich". When the wrong folks get their hands on the data there will be no little fish left alone.

Anybody who thinks that just hosting a different open platform is going to keep them safe is just kidding themselves. The 'vetting' and extra information given will all be used. Mr. Glover should know this if he stayed awake in his OPSEC classes.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'd recommend reading "Gun Control in the Third Reich". When the wrong folks get their hands on the data there will be no little fish left alone.

Anybody who thinks that just hosting a different open platform is going to keep them safe is just kidding themselves. The 'vetting' and extra information given will all be used. Mr. Glover should know this if he stayed awake in his OPSEC classes.

I'm still on the fence about this. Took many OPSEC classes and stayed awake. What I'm debating is this:
    1) Having bought a new firearm before- List.
    2) Having owned Class III firearms etc before- List.
    3) LTCH- List
    4) Firearm forums- List
    5) Retired Vet- List
    Etc Etc Etc
    Just don't know if I want to get on 1 more list by joining :dunno:

Bob

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The vetting process seems like a red flag to me. Vetting for what? Just to keep potential criminals out of a mutual support/info sharing group? The idea seems to be a network of decentralized groups to share a common goal of preparedness. Why the need for official background checks just for that? Also, all these people are putting blind trust into someone they’ve never met because he’s former Special Forces? They’re sending this background company all of their PII and linking it to this group? Seems like one would
    be better off to stick with people they know in the community than trying to link up with people on that website. Talk to folks at the range, go to Appleseed, etc.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    When my ex-wife and I were signing up to be foster parents, before adopting our son, we had to go through the same background checks, using the same company. Never had any red-flags show up in credit monitoring based on that background check.

From my understanding, this background check is to make sure people on the platform are who they say they are. That kmitch on there resolves to an actual person with an actual address and is not on the registered sex offenders list.

As for being on lists, presumably y'all have drivers licenses, social security numbers and pay taxes, that's all the government needs to track you down.

Top Bottom