• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I’ve seen a few YouTube videos, highlight “budget” preps acquired at dollar stores.

Do you have any experience or go-to items from a dollar store?

For example - I have seen Preppers reference an off brand disinfectant spray cleaner. In the shortages of disinfectant/cleaning supplies, this is intriguing if available.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I can't really think of anything from a dollar store such as dollar tree ($1) true dollar store....

Perhaps some trash bags or tarps if they have them for $1. Bleach I suppose. All the batteries they sell there are trash so I wouldn't waste money on them. If they have any sort of lantern that seems useful you could pick that up, but in general...I'd say nah.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I imagine there is a lot of stuff.
    Medical supplies, bandages, antiseptic, gauze etc.
    Rope, string, lighters, matches, canned goods, beans,razor blades, large knife, maybe a sharpening stone, water, mason jars

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'd be very careful shopping at dollar stores that you aren't paying a dollar for what you can get elsewhere for less. 1 for $1 when you can go elsewhere and spend $10 for 15 of the same item.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd be very careful shopping at dollar stores that you aren't paying a dollar for what you can get elsewhere for less. 1 for $1 when you can go elsewhere and spend $10 for 15 of the same item.

That's true. Lots of great buys at the Dollar Tree, but also quite a few 79 cent items going for a dollar.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I imagine there is a lot of stuff.
    Medical supplies, bandages, antiseptic, gauze etc.
    Rope, string, lighters, matches, canned goods, beans,razor blades, large knife, maybe a sharpening stone, water, mason jars

Lighters & Matches would be a good one. I don't think you'll be finding much quality stuff for $1 but perhaps a sharpening stone /shrug I'd just browse the aisles and see what you find.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I bought a crap load of charcoal filters at Dollar Tree and just saw the same filters in the Walmart gun section for $5.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I would definitely echo the caution to know whether a dollar is a good price for your item before going in, as well as watching your sodium intake.

A general stored food suggestion: if you stock a lot of cans in your preps, try some right out of the can, cold. Whether it's Spam, lima beans, ravioli, corn, peas, spinach, chicken, brown bread, or bacon if you still have cans when your 8 heating methods have been spent (or if none of them is currently advisable because reasons), you won't be surprised by or upset with the flavor/texture.

If you find you hate it cold now, you can divert your spending to things you do like.

It seems small, but you might be surprised how much of a difference a little heat makes to the palate. I'm all about minimizing the potential for surprises during stressful situations.

Those who, like Rambo, already know they could eat things that would make a billy goat :puke:, are obviously good in this regard ;)

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Be careful; the high salt content can make it quite dangerous to eat these kinds of things for any length of time.

be careful w that statement. My sodium lids through sweat is EXTREMELY high. While I have not gotten tested (I will when I am near a place to get it done) my expert and testing has me losing over 1000mg per hour when I race. I prep w 2 separate 1500mg of Sodium before and take at least 700 per hour during an event.

For me to eat handfuls of salt is not unusual.

I DO watch the Chloride intake.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Mechanically Separated Chicken...right there in a little can. Dollar Store Sardines are usually small but tasty....great sources of Omega 3, Iodine, and fishy protein.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    be careful w that statement. My sodium lids through sweat is EXTREMELY high. While I have not gotten tested (I will when I am near a place to get it done) my expert and testing has me losing over 1000mg per hour when I race. I prep w 2 separate 1500mg of Sodium before and take at least 700 per hour during an event.

For me to eat handfuls of salt is not unusual.

I DO watch the Chloride intake.

I'm very confused by this response. First, this is a survival & disaster preparedness forum, not a race forum. In disaster situations, I don't think many of us are planning on a lot of racing. Second, you contradicted yourself in a single sentence: you said that you haven't been tested and that testing shows you lose over 1000 mg of sodium per hour.

Still, I'm going to hold that people need to be careful re: sodium when preparing for disaster situations. To get 2000 calories per day out of Chef Boyardee Ravioli a person would need more than 8 servings, which contains more than 6,000 mg of sodium. Vienna sausages are even worse, at over 7,000 mg of sodium per 2,000 calories. Ramen noodles can be over 9,000 mg of sodium per 2,000 calories.

Recommended dietary maximum is only 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Getting 2.5 times the recommended maximum every once in a while isn't good, but it probably won't kill you. If that's the kind of food you plan to eat every day for a four-week emergency period, though, there's a real chance you will cause permanent damage in that time.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I'm very confused by this response. First, this is a survival & disaster preparedness forum, not a race forum. In disaster situations, I don't think many of us are planning on a lot of racing. Second, you contradicted yourself in a single sentence: you said that you haven't been tested and that testing shows you lose over 1000 mg of sodium per hour.

I have done testing on myself with various amounts of sodium intake, but not been formally tested by a lab for sodium loss.

In a survival situation, i will sweat like I do when I race. I did when I was in the service -- and do when I work on the farm. Why would I NOT be concerned about getting enough sodium while working hard to survive?

Still, I'm going to hold that people need to be careful re: sodium when preparing for disaster situations. To get 2000 calories per day out of Chef Boyardee Ravioli a person would need more than 8 servings, which contains more than 6,000 mg of sodium. Vienna sausages are even worse, at over 7,000 mg of sodium per 2,000 calories. Ramen noodles can be over 9,000 mg of sodium per 2,000 calories.

Recommended dietary maximum is only 2,300 mg of sodium per day. Getting 2.5 times the recommended maximum every once in a while isn't good, but it probably won't kill you. If that's the kind of food you plan to eat every day for a four-week emergency period, though, there's a real chance you will cause permanent damage in that time.

Reality is, you need to understand your individual body and what it needs to operate. If you don't know what your body needs, then prep is guesswork. I can discuss sodium retention / release and if the RDA is a real issue or not.

Top Bottom