• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So yesterday I made a I'll say big purchase I got a level IV plate from ar500 they are having a sale and I decided to jump on it, yes it's just the one plate but it's a start I'm very excited, of course I'll need another plate, trauma pads and a vest but in time, and I'm sure I'll get good or bad comments
    dont break my balls please,

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Good score! I own a couple soft versions of Armor from former LEO jobs. The carriers were getting ripe with use, but the kevlar was dry and not even discolored.New outside carriers got ordered, and now own 2 "ready to go" hanging up in closet.

While surfing net, found a pair of class 4 plates, and lightweight cover for sale. New and unused, so put in a bid, and won the deal for $80, shipped. Received, very nice shape, although heavy and carrier sent seemed pretty light duty.

Saw an unissued military carrier, in ACU camo, and an unissued water carrier included, for a whole $25 plus $6 shipping so bid it out, and won it too. Its enroute now, so hope to see it soon.

My plan is to keep one in each car trunk, and spare mags attached for my Glock 19, maybe a can of OC, and a tactical flashlight. On an extreme call to work, a cased rifle with spare 30 rounds mag can be added.

Im looking for a PASGT helmet now to add, although i do have a fiberglass model which isnt kevlar. Ordered the ACU camo cover for helmet, and it installed in 5 minutes. Perfect fit. The ACU gear is $ cheap right now. so if you desire keep looking on FleaBay. Good luck.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think it's a decision to be proud of. I know a lot of nit whits out there that think they're ready for WWIII or CWII because they own hundreds of guns and thousands of rounds of ammo, but not a single piece of body armor. I think it's good personal protective equipment.

My first set was an XL package from AR500 and that's stops a lot of lead, but I eventually got tired of the weight and went with the ballistic armor III+ 855 rated ceramic plates at Botach after reading lots of reviews.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Best advice: don't get caught in the "this is garbage, this brand only" mantra. I'm not advocating buying ANYTHING from wish.com, but it doesn't have to be lvl7 heliumplate either.

Bottom line is, something is better than nothing. Before you watch all the yewTube videos about what goes where, the key is practical. KISS.

Lastly, if you are going to go down this rabbit hole there is another matter to consider: medical training. To a previous point, you can be all gung-ho, but if you're being shot at (which I gather is the catalyst for your purchase) you can bet you may be shot. You now have a better chance of survival, but there are still dangers. Stop The Bleed classes are free, and good tourniquets aren't expensive.

Pics!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think you made a wise move. I've been watching that same sale and want badly to pick up one of their kits. Alas, other responsibilities prevent me from doing so.

On a related note, earlier this year I did pick up a Desert Storm era US GI helmet.

In these strange and uncertain times, one never knows...

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks for all the positive words, yes I have bills but I made the jump, yes I need to order another plate, trauma pads and a vest but that will be later, and yes I agree with the medical training just need to find a class and time, my next purchase will be a sight for my AR15 so I can get good at shooting lol

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks for all the positive words, yes I have bills but I made the jump, yes I need to order another plate, trauma pads and a vest but that will be later, and yes I agree with the medical training just need to find a class and time, my next purchase will be a sight for my AR15 so I can get good at shooting lol
    Give me a pm if you need/are interested in some mag pouches. I have some gently used (classes) stuff I'd be willing to part with for cheap.

TheQuietMan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2020
    Morocco
    It's surely getting time to start thinking about armor. Always figured my days or wearing body armor was over, but it's looking more and more like the fight could come to just about any corner of the country...

TheQuietMan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2020
    Morocco
    This is something I've never delved into, but no longer seems excessive. Thanks for the thread. I'll try to read and learn.

Depends on how much you can budget for. The good stuff is expensive, the cheap stuff is heavy,

not having it is taking a big risk...

Before 2020 the risk wasn't that big. Now with a stupid civil war on the horizon... The plug holes, and make holes areas most of us have covered... need to be augmented by the prevent holes part I'm betting most of us don't...

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'm am attending a FREE bleeding control class in greenwood on Oct. 14. I can Inquire if there are seats available if you wish

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    @ruger_Ronin thanks that would give me time to request off at work,
    I emailed the instructor this evening asking if there are available seats. I will reply when answered. Just Google Stop the bleed class near me. That may be a start if my avenue doesn't pan out. Some offerings are better if they have good training equipment. I like this particular facility for the hands on practice.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I think their level 4 plates are pricey. idk what did you pay for it? I got 2 level 3A vests with front and rear pockets that have more coverage than a carrier. I bought level 4 plates to insert into the front and rear of them if needed.

The level 3A vests I got were from bulletsafe.com They were $300 each and seem decent.

The level 4 plates I got were from botach...wouldn't recommend ordering from them unless you're ok with maybe never getting your order...The plates were pretty inexpensive for what they are.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I also attempted botach and after waiting 5 months I canceled my order, did more research, and went with RMA L4 plates. I got them in 2 weeks and I'm exceptionally happy with them. I just hope I'll never have to test them out.

I run mine in a Agilite k19 carrier, which is super nice. I waited over 4 months for it though...

Top Bottom