Looking to get into ham radio. Where to start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As the title says I’m looking to get into ham radio as a hobby/ communication method. Found a couple pdf’s to use to study for the test but the more I read the more confusing it gets.

Anyone got any good learning resources or suggestions on what kind of radio to get?
    Looking for a handheld to start

any advice is appreciated

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    We have a great thread for ham radio here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r-preparedness/72630-ingo-ham-radio-club.html

Also the link in my sig can point you in the direction of some great learning resources.

I would be very happy to help point you in the right direction of you have any questions.

Questions that might help us help you.

Purpose?
    Interests?
    Background? (Any tech?)
    Budget?

Best of luck to you!

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We have a great thread for ham radio here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r-preparedness/72630-ingo-ham-radio-club.html

Also the link in my sig can point you in the direction of some great learning resources.

I would be very happy to help point you in the right direction of you have any questions.

Questions that might help us help you.

Purpose?
    Interests?
    Background? (Any tech?)
    Budget?

Best of luck to you!

thanks for the links. That’s very helpful.

Purpose ? Well i fell into a rabbit hole that started at marine radios and ended at ham. With everything going on right now i was reading that emergency info is passed via ham so it really got my interest.

I have no idea about a budget or what it should be. Everything I’m reading is talking about baofeng handhelds just to get your feet wet.

I learned a little about operating a radio in the army but I’m ashamed to admit that i glazed over during the classes i took in the army.

I found the exam info in the ham thread so I guess it’s time to hit the books until I find more questions.

the more I learn the more I find I don’t know lol

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I believe the testing material changed this summer so make sure you are studying the right stuff. I downloaded a couple of the testing/review apps and just did those for about 2 weeks on my spare time.

I got my license last August, bought 2 uv5rs right before the "ban". I have just recently got around to doing anything with them.

Top Bottom