• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After finishing watching season 7 of Alone, I'm looking particularly hard at what kind of fatty foods I've got put up. There's really not much outside of whatever random goodie is in an old crusty MRE. I'd like to get a variety of candies to put up for some hard days when people need a moral boost or they just need something fatty to eat for some energy. Problem is I'm not seeing a great list anywhere for candies that store long term. I was thinking tootsie rolls, skittles, jolly ranchers etc. Any ideas on anything else?

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I’m probably going to catch some flack for this but...

I age Haribo Gummy Bears for a few years before I eat them. I prefer the harder texture over the soft gumminess

I thought this was insane when I first was given aged Haribo gummy bears, to me at that time was just really stale gummy bears, but now I love em that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have a stash of Jolly Ranchers and a bucket of chocolate (vacuum sealed with absorbers). I am under no illusions about keeping white bloom off the chocolate, but that shouldn't hurt it's edibility too much. I also have a bucket of chocolate bunnies bought on sale after Easter that are vacuum sealed and replenished after every Easter and consumed throughout the year. Palmer crap isn't chocolate, so none of that. Franklin? Meh. The good stuff is Russel Stover, Godiva, Hershey's, Cadbury.

Because life without chocolate isn't life at all.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    None of what is listed above is fatty. Sugary yes, fatty no.

You're right, but everything I listed turns me into a fat body so it's a round a bout way of getting there. Really just thinking of a different kind of calorie beyond mountain house, and MRE's.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You're right, but everything I listed turns me into a fat body so it's a round a bout way of getting there. Really just thinking of a different kind of calorie beyond mountain house, and MRE's.

Sorry, took it literally. Based on my grandmother's candy dish, any hard candy will survive decades in the open air. But seriously, I think an enhancement would be inclusion of unusual flavors such as coffee, anise, etc.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Canned sugar and high calories? Sweetened Condensed Milk.

Not that it really went anywhere last time, but I feel kind of silly bringing it up again.

Fats are difficult to store long term since they go rancid.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I know for a fact candy canes will store 6+ years on a shelf just in the box they were bought in. So, there's that.

With most hard sugar candies keeping them dry is the key. As they absorb moisture from the air or whatever, they become softer and less desirable over time.

Sealed up with some dessicant, I'd think the storage life might be close to indefinite.

Top Bottom