• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally get my Propane tanks filled at TSC. They have always had the best pricing.

I've been a bit lax on this and find that I have four empties.

Just checking to see if I need to run get these filled quickly for the best pricing or whenever I get around to it?

Yes, I know sooner is better, especially with pandemic scares and terrorists roving the urban areas. Not to mention the cold weather.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I normally get my Propane tanks filled at TSC. They have always had the best pricing.

I've been a bit lax on this and find that I have four empties.

Just checking to see if I need to run get these filled quickly for the best pricing or whenever I get around to it?

Yes, I know sooner is better, especially with pandemic scares and terrorists roving the urban areas. Not to mention the cold weather.

I don't actually get them filled as most places do exchanges around here. I know the exchange price at Menards is somewhere around $17.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I would go for refill rather than exchange as the exchange does not give you a full tank. A full tank is almost 5 gallons and refills are typically around 3 to 3.5 for the same price. There should be a sign on the exchange cage that tells you how many gallons are in the tanks. TSC has about an average price, you could find cheaper if you look around but isn't always worth the hassle.

TSC is quite particular about filling tanks. One time I went with three tanks in my trunk and he would only fill two due to 'state law' about only allowing two tanks in an enclosed vehicle. I now use the local grain store for filling my small tanks. I go through about three or four tanks a year on my grill and another tank or so for the portable heater in the barn.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have been considering getting a larger tank at the house just for grill and heater tanks, 60 lbs, camper tanks 60 lbs, and a dual fuel generator.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I don't actually get them filled as most places do exchanges around here. I know the exchange price at Menards is somewhere around $17.

You're getting robbed doing the exchange because they're only filled about 3/4 full. Refilling them here is $2.59/gal, and a 20 lb tank holds a little over 4 gallons if filled to automatic shut off. A brand new tank is about $30 so in just a few refills you pay for your tank. Those are Tell City Tractor Supply prices so your local prices could be a little either way. If you have access to a scale you can figure out how much you're getting doing the exchange by weighing it. A full 20 lb tank is about 42 pounds, the tank weight is marked on the collar, and a gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs.
    Tractor Supply refills tanks, and most local bulk propane places will also.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I would go for refill rather than exchange as the exchange does not give you a full tank. A full tank is almost 5 gallons and refills are typically around 3 to 3.5 for the same price. There should be a sign on the exchange cage that tells you how many gallons are in the tanks. TSC has about an average price, you could find cheaper if you look around but isn't always worth the hassle.

TSC is quite particular about filling tanks. One time I went with three tanks in my trunk and he would only fill two due to 'state law' about only allowing two tanks in an enclosed vehicle. I now use the local grain store for filling my small tanks. I go through about three or four tanks a year on my grill and another tank or so for the portable heater in the barn.

B. S. on the state law. There is a federal D.O.T. limit but that is for 4 tanks, combined weight of 90 lbs propane, and no single cylinder with more than 45 lbs. That is for an enclosed vehicle like a car or SUV. In a pickup bed you can carry up to 1000 lbs with no restrictions.

Oh, BTW full disclosure. I refill propane tanks all day long at the local seed and feed.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    B. S. on the state law. There is a federal D.O.T. limit but that is for 4 tanks, combined weight of 90 lbs propane, and no single cylinder with more than 45 lbs. That is for an enclosed vehicle like a car or SUV. In a pickup bed you can carry up to 1000 lbs with no restrictions.

Oh, BTW full disclosure. I refill propane tanks all day long at the local seed and feed.

That's why I put 'state law' in quotes. :-) I also had one guy quote NFPA 58 as Indiana law. I asked for the IC code, he again said NFPA 58 so he had no credibility in my book. After lots of digging, I did find an IC code that referenced NFPA 58 but it had been repealed.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    You're getting robbed doing the exchange because they're only filled about 3/4 full. Refilling them here is $2.59/gal, and a 20 lb tank holds a little over 4 gallons if filled to automatic shut off. A brand new tank is about $30 so in just a few refills you pay for your tank. Those are Tell City Tractor Supply prices so your local prices could be a little either way. If you have access to a scale you can figure out how much you're getting doing the exchange by weighing it. A full 20 lb tank is about 42 pounds, the tank weight is marked on the collar, and a gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs.
    Tractor Supply refills tanks, and most local bulk propane places will also.

Oh I'm sure getting it filled vs swap is less expensive. I'm sure I'm paying for convenience. This is also likely done for liability purposes. I live in the burbs and don't know of anywhere close that fills up a tank, so it wouldn't be worth my time to drive further to save a couple bucks.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    On Sept 2nd I paid $21.40 to fill an empty 20 lb tank at my local lawn & garden retailer. Which I thought was kind of high because weeks earlier on June 20th I spent $100.08 filling two empty 100 lb tanks at the same place and thought that was a good deal. I don't recall what the tare on the big tanks but I wonder if they charge a set rate for the 20 lbers and charge by the gallon on the larger tanks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OP, does TSC do actual filling (of your tank) or just exchange?

TSC in Ellettsville refills. They normally run $13-ish bucks (plus Holcomb's part) for an empty tank.

In hindsight, I was kinda half-assed warned about putting the third tank beside me in the passenger seat seatbelt of my little car by the TSC tank filler person. I see why now, but I also heeded the advice at the time and usually try to fill only two tanks per run. Two fit perfectly in the space left in my trunk and are somewhat wedged in by the SHTF crap that MUST ride around with me all the time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When the driver comes to fill our LP tank for the house, I grab the tank from the grill and have him fill it as well. I pay whatever the going rate is. Last time it was just over $1 a gallon I believe. $1.29 at most.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

As an aside, some DOT rules are a joke. I work for a fire protection company. We do fire extinguishers. DOT says you can only have so many pressurized bottles in a truck. with a HUGE asterisk. That asterisk is that if the extinguisher bottle is still new in the box, the rules dont count.

So I can only put x number of ready to use new or used extinguishers in a truck before exceeding their arbitrary rule. (I dont recall how many. 10?) But if I were to take multiple skids of portables and stack them in the back of the service truck by the dozen as tight as I can get them, its no big deal. SMH

Top Bottom