• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Good evening

What is the suggested methods for storage of flour, sugar and other bulk items to keep best?

I have seen references of using Mylar bags and 5 gallon buckets, but I’m not exactly clear. Ideally, I would be able to access it and pull some out for use from time to time.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    What you said is the best way. I would suggest getting a few gama seal lids. For the buckets you are using out of, it makes getting in and out of easier. If it is truly long term, you will not be getting in and out of all 8000 buckets, just a few. Also it is generally accepted that flour does not last too very long.
    I would store these long term with desiccant packs and Oxygen absorbers too. You can find lots of videos on Youtube.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    What you said is the best way. I would suggest getting a few gama seal lids. For the buckets you are using out of, it makes getting in and out of easier. If it is truly long term, you will not be getting in and out of all 8000 buckets, just a few. Also it is generally accepted that flour does not last too very long.
    I would store these long term with desiccant packs and Oxygen absorbers too. You can find lots of videos on Youtube.

Thank you for the reply. To confirm, any new/clean bucket will work correct?

Also, are you saying to put the Mylar bag in the bucket, fill up the Mylar bag, and then close the bucket lid (with the oxygen packets in with the flour/sugar/etc)?

I guess I’m not following if the Mylar bag can be re-open/closed repeatedly after first going in.

Does vacuum sealing help in anyway?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Thank you for the reply. To confirm, any new/clean bucket will work correct?
    Yes. Any new standard plastic bucket should work fine. A used,clean "food grade" bucket (one that has never held toxic substances) will also work.

Also, are you saying to put the Mylar bag in the bucket, fill up the Mylar bag, and then close the bucket lid (with the oxygen packets in with the flour/sugar/etc)?
    Typically, if you are using a full bucket-sized bag (as opposed to multiple smaller bags), you put in the bag in the bucket, fill with food, add 02 absorbers, seal the bag, possibly add some more 02 absorbers in the bucket outside the bag and close the lid.

I guess I’m not following if the Mylar bag can be re-open/closed repeatedly after first going in.
    Once you reopen the mylar bag after storage, the 02 seal is broken. It can be folded over to minimize 02 access or possibly can be resealed, but it is generally time to start eating once you open it. I prefer to use multiple 1 gallon bags in a 5 gallon bucket to keep extra food sealed after opening, but it is up to you.

Does vacuum sealing help in anyway?
    It greatly reduces the amount of air in the package and also shrinks it somewhat. Makes it easier to ensure the 02 absorbers can get all the oxygen or can theoretically be done with no 02 absorbers.

Answered inline above.

The bucket and mylar bags fill two complementary, but different needs. Long term storage means protecting food from light, oxygen and pests. The bucket will allow for easier storage and to protect from pests (particularly chewing mice). The mylar bag can be sealed air-tight to prevent oxygen from getting in.

Edit: You are also looking to protect food from water vapor in the air. Again, the bucket may provide a good seal, but the mylar provides and excellent one.

Last edited:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Answered inline above.

The bucket and mylar bags fill two complementary, but different needs. Long term storage means protecting food from light, oxygen and pests. The bucket will allow for easier storage and to protect from pests (particularly chewing mice). The mylar bag can be sealed air-tight to prevent oxygen from getting in.

Edit: You are also looking to protect food from water vapor in the air. Again, the bucket may provide a good seal, but the mylar provides and excellent one.

Thank you so much for the help. Very helpful!

Do you have specifics foods that are recommended for storing like this? Or foods that should not be seal in Mylar and O2 absorbers?

Am I reading correctly that an O2 absorber should NOT be used with sugar?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Well, canned items (both in metal and glass jars) wouldn't need such protection as they are already air and pest resistant. The stereotypical items to store in such packaging is dried white rice and dried beans. They can last 30+ years packed that way. Other foods that don't have air-proof/water-proof packaging, but would benefit from it could also be packed this way- spices, pasta, dried grains, etc. These items tend to come in boxes or bags.

I don't see any reason why sugar wouldn't be compatible with this same packaging system. Where do you see otherwise?

You might be interested in this: 9 Foods That Last Forever

Here is a very good old video on how to seal your mylar bag with a standard clothes iron instead of a special clam-shell sealer.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    FYI- You might want to check out gamma lids for 5gal buckets. You don't need them on all your buckets, but having at least some is helpful. They are a special kind of lid that are re-sealable. They have an outer ring that seals to the bucket and then an inner part that twists open for easy access. They are significantly more expensive than basic lids.

I like to use a gamma lid on my chicken feed bucket that I open every day. Then I have 3 additional buckets of feed with regular lids that only get reopened one time when it is time to reload the gamma bucket. This minimizes air/water vapor exposure as well as protecting the feed from pests better than the bags they come in.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Thank you so much for the help. Very helpful!

Do you have specifics foods that are recommended for storing like this? Or foods that should not be seal in Mylar and O2 absorbers?

Am I reading correctly that an O2 absorber should NOT be used with sugar?

Do not store sugar with an O2 absorber. It will turn into a brick. Just seal it. Vacuum sealing works well.

One tip that I got from a YouTube video early on is to store things in portion sizes. For example: We are used to dealing with oats in 5 lb units. So that is how I put oats into storage. I open 1 bag that is 5 lbs of oats ... something we know how to use. If we opened a 5 gallon bucket of oats, they would not be very fresh by the time we got to the end of them. Imagine doing that with pasta. Or beans. (beans I did in 1-2 lb packages). Rice I did in 5 lb bags.

When I started, I put the mylar bags (sealed, O2 absorbers, vacuum sealed) into cardboard boxes. A risk I know ... but since they are in the house (not garage or shed), I am less worried about vermin. Other places I may put food definitely need at least a 5 gallon bucket for protection. Shoot, some places the buckets really should go inside a drum or barrel. stupid mice/squirrels/chipmunks.

Some things are easily stored in vacuum sealed canning jars. If you have the jars - otherwise, mylar bags are pretty cost effective.

I purchased mine from packfreshUSA and they included a card with the promo code: BEPREPARED in every order.

One thing: Order extra O2 absorbers. I vacuum seal the extras almost immediately when I open a packet of them.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. Just ordered some 1 gallon bags with the O2 absorbers to try out.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Check your buckets every year or so. Some of my recycled food buckets developed cracks (splits) on the bottom.

I keep sugar in buckets with gamma lids without mylar bags, has not clumped after 4 years.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Check your buckets every year or so. Some of my recycled food buckets developed cracks (splits) on the bottom.

I keep sugar in buckets with gamma lids without mylar bags, has not clumped after 4 years.

What do you put your sugar in, if you don’t put in Mylar bags? Just it’s original paper packaging?

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    They do make zip lock mylar bags too that can be zipped and then heat sealed. You can use these as recloseable bags too.

Top Bottom