• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    To say I am organized would be a joke. I work at it but it is a severe struggle.

how do you keep track of what you have stored? Specifically I am thinking of the food stores but easily applies to anything else.

as I want to keep adding to our stores, but room is getting scarce. I have space in the barns but the temp swings are so extreme that the food would no be good long term. (If I put stuff there, I don’t want to have to think about it. Bagged, 5 gallon and then barrel woul keep the rodents out. But not freezing and 100+ temps).

Time to track closer what we have to determine what we need. Yes, I can do a hand written list. But why not learn from others as I start this journey?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    If you are familiar with Microsoft Excel, you can put everything you put away in the spreadsheet and then you can go back and sort by date or location or type of stores. Its a PIA to get it set up (if you are not an Excel wizard) but makes life very easy once you have committed the time to do it.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I found a template already made online years ago that would tell you how many days of food you have for the number of people you have, based on caloric values and caloric output. Serves as a nice inventory sheet as well.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    It is a struggle for us as well.
    What recommendations do you have to store things long term but isolate them from temp swings?

Also (kind of a thread derail but kind of not) what types of things are more sensitive to temp swings?

As an example - I have the usual things (rice, beans, powdered milk, dried split peas, pasta, powdered cheese) and other items stored in mylar with O2 absorbers and put into containers thst are rodent safe but the containers aren't weather resistant.

Cammed goods are in the house in the finished basement (conditioned air) but would the dry goods be ok (long term dry goods) in a garage for example? (or in the OP's situation - his barn)

What do you or the others reading this think?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Hopefully the .xls attachment loads ok, .xls in a .zip file. Here's the original template I found online. I find it helpful. Again, I'm not the author and I don't remember where I found it. I've edited my own version to fit my needs. Hope some of you find this helpful.

Attachments

• Storage Food Template.zip
      11.4 KB · Views: 5

Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Warsaw
    Temperature fluctuation sure complicates things. We have been running into that problem too. It’s not ideal but we have most of our stuff stored in large plastic totes stacked in a fairly out of the way corner of the house. As far as tracking goes, I keep a list in my phone on what I’ve got and what I need. Definitely good to have a physical copy too but so far it’s working out ok. Trying to keep as accurate of a estimate as I can manage on what kind of longevity I can expect out it our rations as well.

Top Bottom