• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Anyone on here have their gmrs license? I was thinking if there were any we could maybe get a net going on a repeater for fun and more importantly plot out the range of our radio setups. Or if anyone wanted to plot out simplex ranges. I am slowly putting a map together of both repeater and simplex range so if cell service goes down i can still pass on and receive info.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm out. I refuse to pay money "just because" to the FCC. Any radio license that doesn't grant exclusive rights to a frequency to prevent interference from others, or require demonstration of subject matter competence to prevent harmful interference is just a money grab.

I had no problem getting my ham tickets. It required that I understand how the system works and prevented me from being a bonehead and doing stupid stuff that would hurt others. A GMRS license does neither of the above and is just a money grab by the FCC IMHO.

Good luck though!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I'm out. I refuse to pay money "just because" to the FCC. Any radio license that doesn't grant exclusive rights to a frequency to prevent interference from others, or require demonstration of subject matter competence to prevent harmful interference is just a money grab.

I had no problem getting my ham tickets. It required that I understand how the system works and prevented me from being a bonehead and doing stupid stuff that would hurt others. A GMRS license does neither of the above and is just a money grab by the FCC IMHO.

Good luck though!

WOW, you are missing out on a lot of great conversation with good people. It funny that I would say more than half the people on those two GMRS systems are ham operator to and got their GMRS license because ham is pretty much dead around here except for the once a week nets. $70 for 10 years and your family can use the license too doesn't sound like a bad deal to my but to each their own.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not much of a rag chewer myself. There are several very active repeaters here, so if feel like it I can hop on a 2m repeater and have a chat.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If the russiaville repeater was still linked to mwgmrs I think I could participate but my understanding is the owner up and left the net. I can hit the muncie repeater and the russiaville repeater. I have a n9tax slim jim I hang off the side of the house that I have to use to get russiaville. I hear a lot of talking on channel 24 (462.575/467.575) but I don't know the pl tones. One guy id'd as "john from bedford".

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If the russiaville repeater was still linked to mwgmrs I think I could participate but my understanding is the owner up and left the net. I can hit the muncie repeater and the russiaville repeater. I have a n9tax slim jim I hang off the side of the house that I have to use to get russiaville. I hear a lot of talking on channel 24 (462.575/467.575) but I don't know the pl tones. One guy id'd as "john from bedford".

Yeah, unfortunately the Russianville and Frankfort are not part of the Midwest system anymore.

I'm pretty sure you are hearing a simplex node that's pretty close to you from another network system.

wD5ElZ0.jpg

Ro1k2yA.jpg

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    It's been a while since anyone has posted in here. I recently got my GMRS license and have been working to learn and program my radio. In in the southern part of the state and looking for ways to use my radio. Also interested in frequencies that I should have programmed in.

Top Bottom