• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anybody have experience with QuickClot? Anybody know how to get it cheaper than this? Perhaps if enough people are interested we could arrange a group buy? I think I'd like to have some at home, in the car, in my range bags, etc.

QuikClot IN STOCK NOW.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfT5X7MjVM"]YouTube - Quickclot Application & Bandaging[/ame]

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Redneckmedic needs to chime in on this....

I'm not really experienced with any of the synthetic clotting agents. However I have done a ton of reading and convo's with those who have. Here is what I have concluded from all of that:

If you had an injury that had more capillary uncontrolled bleeding than large vessel, agents "cauterize" them.

To me something that would fit into that category would be:
    shotgun wounds
    shrapnel wounds
    amputations

Something that has a lot of surface area bleeding vs just 1 large vessel. However these agents can work on large vessels, clamps, tourniquets, and pressure bandages would be better.

Remember though, I am not gospel on this, maybe IGW or indecision or a number of our active/ recently active military fellas can yeah/nay me.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I picked up a couple of these for my get home bag before I sent it with my parents when they took their trip out to Seattle. I've been wondering how well they actually worked. Was hoping someone had experience with them.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The Army is starting to step away from Quik Clot and Hemcom...

It has been found that the once the troop gets to the Docs that they are cutting out a lot of damaged tissue! We are pretty much just using Izzies and CAT.

Soldier has the same amount of chance of survival. Plus generally less recovery time.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Yeah, quick clot is something we are turning away from. Anything thats wet activates it, so as stated, there's typically a lot of surrounding tissue damage. Say a GSW, there's blood or sweat around what you are trying to stop bleeding. All of that's going to be cauterized, so to speak, as well. I wouldn't use it except in extreme cases. I'm an Infantryman, but also a former EMT-B.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a proper touniquet is more effective, cheaper, and can be reused.... this stuff was the kats meow in theory but once it hit the battle field the docs started dissuading people from using it due to the further damage it can cause... a turniquet can be left on for up to four hours with no perminent damage...

this means that in normal life, use a tourny for anything that hard manual pressure will not control.

in SHTF, us a tourny until someone either drinks enough, or builds up the balls to attemp field surgury since there is no other option... if you use quickclot in SHTF how are you going to clean it out 100 percent? i know the trauma nurses spend hours getting all of that crap out after a soldiers surgury.

i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole... let alone have it in my SHTF stash to further complicate things...

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    a proper touniquet is more effective, cheaper, and can be reused.... this stuff was the kats meow in theory but once it hit the battle field the docs started dissuading people from using it due to the further damage it can cause... a turniquet can be left on for up to four hours with no perminent damage...

this means that in normal life, use a tourny for anything that hard manual pressure will not control.

in SHTF, us a tourny until someone either drinks enough, or builds up the balls to attemp field surgury since there is no other option... if you use quickclot in SHTF how are you going to clean it out 100 percent? i know the trauma nurses spend hours getting all of that crap out after a soldiers surgury.

i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole... let alone have it in my SHTF stash to further complicate things...

What about in a serious situation where you happen across a car accident with multiple victims and tourniquet will not work on a large puncture wound to the torso and at that point you either have to play god and pick one to die, or administer the QC to one and attend to the other?

Catch 22 there right? I've only started reading up on it within the last month, but given the circumstances if I was on the receiving end, I'd rather want live with a longer recovery time than have my chances increased not to live.

I think the phrase I seen on one site sums it up good, "apply sparingly do not over apply".

That said I think I'm going to buy some along with a tourniquet, after all if I was alone and something happened to me, applying a tourniquet to yourself can be a challenging thing especially if you have an injured arm.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    What about in a serious situation where you happen across a car accident with multiple victims and tourniquet will not work on a large puncture wound to the torso and at that point you either have to play god and pick one to die, or administer the QC to one and attend to the other?

Ambulances do not use this, and none of the ER's that I know of do either (In Marion County). If you use this on the street as a civilian, you are pushing the lines of negligence and possibly not covered by the Good Samaritan Act.

Don't Be a Hero if you Don't Have the Training!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Triage is not playing God, play the lotto, your chances are better than rolling up on a MCI with life and death choices before trained resquers arrive.

That said I think I'm going to buy some along with a tourniquet, after all if I was alone and something happened to me, applying a tourniquet to yourself can be a challenging thing especially if you have an injured arm.
    Above you are three trained people that have expressed their opinion with different backgrounds all saying its no good... what more do you need? :dunno:
    i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole

clamps, tourniquets, and pressure bandages would be better.

Yeah, quick clot is something we are turning away from. Anything thats wet activates it, so as stated, there's typically a lot of surrounding tissue damage..... also a former EMT-B.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

Just tryin to help you out on this bit. We get issued these and they are MONEY. You can even apply them with one arm relatively easily. Combat Application Tourniquet

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have nothing against hemostatic agents, but trauma medical training matters more than the simple ownership of QC when it comes to saving someone's life. Get some training and then you will know what should be in your blow out kit and how to use it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just tryin to help you out on this bit. We get issued these and they are MONEY. You can even apply them with one arm relatively easily. Combat Application Tourniquet

yep, can be applied one handed rather easily, i suggest buy once cry once, and get the ones with an aluminum torque bar, they will hold up better and in a SHTF scenario thats the last thing you want to break on you..

as far as the car accident... well crap happens, and people die everyday... you might stumble upon someone having a heart attack but does that mean you carry a full line of cardiac drugs and a heart moniter with you? no..... say you do have quick clot on you and you use it... it keeps them alive just long enough to get to the hospital where they die because of the added time it takes to clean the wound out before surgury is performed? just sayin, get it if you want, but when you get sued for using it dont come cryin to ingo sayin you were just tryin to help

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have nothing against hemostatic agents, but trauma medical training matters more than the simple ownership of QC when it comes to saving someone's life. Get some training and then you will know what should be in your blow out kit and how to use it.

this.... i think quick clot appeals the untrained because instead of spending weeks and months, if not years, learning about trauma management, there is this special powder that you just dump onto the area and it makes the boo boo all better.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    well i did 2 years in iraq and a year in afghanistan and at first we were issued the powder version. and it was horrible. first off if your allergic to shell fish you can't use it as it will cause a very bad allergic reaction. this may have been changed by now. we used it when it was necessary as in you just got shot and your brother must charlie mike until the enemy is destroyed. then we ran into the problem of it getting on peoples fingers and them rubbing there eyes. turned out really bad because it would react w/ the water in the eye's just like blood. so we stop using them. then on my trip to afghanistan we got issued it again that was in 2006 but it was a bandage version and i actually liked them a lot. easy to apply no messy powder to get everywhere and you could cut out small pieces so there wasn't a bunch of excess to foul up the wound. they worked amazing and many of my brothers are alive today because of it. but for civilian world i would 100 per agree a tourniquet is a much better option as the ems will always be there pretty damn quick. shtf situation the patch would be solid but in that situation your just trying to live long enough to get back to someone who can take care of you but as mentioned above a tourniquet is just as effective as long as you note what time you put it on.

by all means these ppl above have much more medic training than me. i am nothing more than a infantry boy who got to take alot of combat life saver course's. hope this helps some but again your best bet is to get some medical training and go from there

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    What about the QC sport, the new ones they have for civies that are sponges? That's all I have. Not the powder. When it comes down to it I understand the tourniquit would be better, but what about a body part you cant do it as easy with. Like a shoulder?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Farmboy tampons work great for puncture wounds...

As stated by several of the Vets and EMS on here I have a strong dislike for QC. Granted I have not used the civy version at all. Take an aid course, learn to use dressings effectively and you know what QC will not seem like such a cure all.

Top Bottom