Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 528 of 530 FirstFirst ... 28 428 478 518 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 LastLast
Results 5,271 to 5,280 of 5293
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Absolutely. It's not luck, it's science.

Little details make a big difference.
    I suck at science.
    I made one a few years back after getting all YouTube inspired, the closest thing to fire it got was when I threw it in the wood burner, lol.

User Info Menu

Got a canned security system at the new place. Have the plans for outside lighting and going to run cat5 cable to all the places I plan to put cameras up in.

User Info Menu

Rode the road bicycle 105 miles last weekend to increase stamina, and test EAC tabs and equipment. Researched and prepared acorns for food.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer rifle View Post
    Rode the road bicycle 105 miles last weekend to increase stamina, and test EAC tabs and equipment. Researched and prepared acorns for food.
    That's a good ride. Have you ever had a professional fitting with the bike? If so, is it worth it?

User Info Menu

Got my bike back in 1985 before there was much of that. I read a lot and used then-standard strategies dealing with seat tube and forearm-saddle-stem measurements. Customization was mostly through components. Got the frame off the rack, so no real custom work was available or I might have tried a longer top tube. I've ridden it over 20K miles without issues.

If you bike purchase includes a professional fitting, might as well use it. Otherwise it depends on how much the fitting and the bike are.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer rifle View Post
    Researched and prepared acorns for food.
    Currently we have a red oak that is producing massive amounts this year. Last time it happened I collected a lot, but it took so much to get the tannin out. What is the secret? There is a lot of meat in each nut, I hated to let it go to waste.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Instead realized I cut this year wood 1” too long for the fire box. 😡
    Measure once, cut twice. 😔

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dudley0 View Post
    Currently we have a red oak that is producing massive amounts this year. Last time it happened I collected a lot, but it took so much to get the tannin out. What is the secret? There is a lot of meat in each nut, I hated to let it go to waste.
    Reds are tougher to process than whites, but more forgiving of collection timing. Whites you gotta get right after they fall or they will get eaten by animals or sprout. Reds can sit for a while, and have fewer weevil worms.

Reds have to have the tannin removed, either by cold or hot soaking. Hot is quicker but changes the end product in some undesirable ways. Cold takes longer - maybe a week or more, unless you have a stream nearby. Dry whole acorns first, feed any emerging weevil grubs to the chickens (they love them), crack them to get the meat out. The testa (papery brown rhind) stick to the nut in reds, and must be removed eventually. Crack the meats and soak, changing the water daily until it is not bitter anymore. This will often loosen the testa also. You can save the tannin water as a skin astringent. Dry the meats again (in a dehydrator, on a wood stove or in a low oven) and grind in a meat grinder. Run through a wheat grinder for finer flour of desired. Store in freezer or dry COMPLETELY (it will mold of stored damp.)

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Looking at some good all weather sleep systems.

User Info Menu

Meijer is having their 10 for $10 sale again. I stocked up on some food items like rice dishes, pasta, soups, and smoked sausage. The freezer is pretty full right now. Pantry is busting at the seams.

Pork loin is $1.15 per lb. There was also a "buy one get one" deal on toilet paper. I came home with 60 rolls. Buying so much spit out a manufacturer's coupon for $5 off my next trip.

With Meijer mperks I spent $115 today but saved $60. This is without any coupons.
    If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.