Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 543 of 544 FirstFirst ... 43 443 493 533 539 540 541 542 543 544 LastLast
Results 5,421 to 5,430 of 5438
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Bought an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator. We end up wasting/freezing too much of the garden consumables. Just made about 10# of jerky...beef, turkey and goose (left over from Easter). It's already paid for itself and the garden is not even producing yet. A lb of store bought starts at around $15...which is about what I paid to make 10lb.

I have the model with the temp setting and timer, it's almost too easy. Set it at 155 deg. F and 4 hours. The Jamaican Jerk Turkey Jerky took an extra hour.
    After recently trying the MRE's I bought at a group buy here on INGO a few years back, I'm gonna really up my dehydrating this year.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Did some fire making practice tonight (last night?) and I'm happy to report that I was successful with a "one stick" fire for the first time. It took some coaching and two tries, but I got it to work with the wood, my knife, and my ferrocerium rod.

The last time I tried, I did a reasonable job preparing everything except that I made the shavings and feathers from the outside of the stick, which was a little damp. This time I changed a few things:

1. I split the stick right away and kept splitting it until I had the various thicknesses I wanted. When I did the shavings and feathers, I did it from the inside part of the stick to make sure I got the dryest part available. On my first try, I got the shavings ignited as well as a bigger feather stick, but I didn't have enough shavings to sustain the flame long enough to ignite bigger sticks. On the second try, I made sure I had about two handfulls of shavings, trying to make them as thin and as long as I could. I also remembered that I could use the spine of my knife to scrape one of the sticks to make powder-like shavings, which will ignite very easily from a spark. Finally, my ferro rod technique has improved.

The powdery shavings ignited very easily, which in turn ignited the handfulls of shavings easily, which ignited the bigger feather stick and then I had a sustainable fire.

I believed that I could do it before, but now I know that I can do it.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Did some fire making practice tonight (last night?) and I'm happy to report that I was successful with a "one stick" fire for the first time. It took some coaching and two tries, but I got it to work with the wood, my knife, and my ferrocerium rod.

The last time I tried, I did a reasonable job preparing everything except that I made the shavings and feathers from the outside of the stick, which was a little damp. This time I changed a few things:

1. I split the stick right away and kept splitting it until I had the various thicknesses I wanted. When I did the shavings and feathers, I did it from the inside part of the stick to make sure I got the dryest part available. On my first try, I got the shavings ignited as well as a bigger feather stick, but I didn't have enough shavings to sustain the flame long enough to ignite bigger sticks. On the second try, I made sure I had about two handfulls of shavings, trying to make them as thin and as long as I could. I also remembered that I could use the spine of my knife to scrape one of the sticks to make powder-like shavings, which will ignite very easily from a spark. Finally, my ferro rod technique has improved.

The powdery shavings ignited very easily, which in turn ignited the handfulls of shavings easily, which ignited the bigger feather stick and then I had a sustainable fire.

I believed that I could do it before, but now I know that I can do it.

This is one of the things on my to do list. make fire from the materials at hand. I have a few different rods.

We made some room last week and yesterday I started adding more water.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post

This is one of the things on my to do list. make fire from the materials at hand. I have a few different rods.

Me too. I can start a fire no problem with the right tools, but I seriously question my ability to do it without them.

I really would like to learn the bow drill method. If I get stuck somewhere without modern fire starters, I would probably freeze.
    Spent a little time on the mountain. Spent a little time on the hill.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Last night I worked on a loadout that I intend to use with little or no changes in Mammoth 2020. My wife had a board meeting last night and got home at 10:30, and when she got home I hit the road for 3 miles. It was a good ruck, and I had fallen out of practice so it was a good swift kick that I needed. It was nice to get out in a star lit night.

I used a new app on my phone called Samsung health to track my miles and more importantly my speed. I kept all three miles under 16 minute per mile pace which is where I have to be, but I didn't beat that pace by much. It's nothing more than a free tool that will keep me from slacking off on these night hikes.

Today starts a weight cut for me. It's a must at this point. The shooting isn't a problem, the ruck pace isn't a problem, the extra weight on this sweet chassis is going to hold me back more than anything else. Back to steamed veggies and protein for lunches until I hit my goal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Me too. I can start a fire no problem with the right tools, but I seriously question my ability to do it without them.

I really would like to learn the bow drill method. If I get stuck somewhere without modern fire starters, I would probably freeze.
    Bow drill is hard. I've made starter coals with one before, but you get warmer using it that you get from the fire.
    Char cloth is your friend, and should be in every fire starting kit.
    My current favorite primitive method is a fire piston.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post

The most important things I have learned so far as a novice:

0. No matter how much you have read, watched, and studied, it's going to be more challenging than you expected, especially if you're working in damp or wet conditions.
    1. Preparing everything you need before you try to ignite your tinder is very important.
    2. The more surface area you can expose, the easier your tinder will light.
    3. Unless you're pressed for time, you can't really have too many small shavings. The bigger the pile of small shavings you have, the better chance you have of igniting small kindling, especially if you start to lose the flame, Having another handful to add to get the flame going again can save you!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Certified Bro Shark Ballstater98's Avatar

User Info Menu

How long will they burn if it's not an emergency?

Seriously though, can anyone confirm this?
    If so, does the brand matter?
    Lifetime LTCH; Lifetime NRA Member; Maker's Mark Ambassador #780040; GOA Member #23463299

User Info Menu

I cycled out all my perishable food stores in my BOB and GHBs. I added another 50 rounds of ammo to my GHB. Added 200 bottles of water to my water storage.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ballstater98 View Post

How long will they burn if it's not an emergency?

Seriously though, can anyone confirm this?
    If so, does the brand matter?
    we have maybe 750 crayons in various lengths and condition around here with all the G-daughters. They love to draw.

Now, how do you light the crayon...???
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html