Is your immediate family supportive of prepping?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is your immediate family supportive of prepping?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How does your family feel about prepping? You know, stocking supplies for SHTF. Buying tons of canned goods so you can live off your stash, while the rest of the people are fighting over the last items off the shelves at the stores. Having lots of drinking water set aside, just in case. Investing in large quantities of beans, rice, ammo, and silver. Creating a bug-out-bag. Buying MRE's.

Is your immediate family supportive of prepping?
    icon5.gif

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    My wife supports me, to an extent. Several times a week I'll find a great sale, only to hear her say that we have enough. I'm slowly working on her. If this winter is like last one, we'll have a couple of power outages. If that happens, I'll use that time to point out all of the useful things I have around the house just for occasions like this.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My wife supports me, to an extent. Several times a week I'll find a great sale, only to hear her say that we have enough. I'm slowly working on her. If this winter is like last one, we'll have a couple of power outages. If that happens, I'll use that time to point out all of the useful things I have around the house just for occasions like this.

That is about my exact situation too.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Pretty much the same......i just keep picking up a little extra when I can.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Two weeks ago, my wife told me to add more to our emergency food & supplies stash. She has also said that more ammo would be a good idea.

See why I stayed married for 35 years?:D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The wife is not necessarily against prepping, but the pantry is always bare. She just cannot get out of the habit of knowing WalMart is right down the road. I am just as bad with ammo. Shoot it as fast as I can get it. We do a poor job of stocking up and will be in big trouble if something bad happens. She gets mad when I go to the store with her because I always blow the budget.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Wife thinks I'm a little paranoid (just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me). She doesn't say too much as long as I increase my stash little by little.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I have to go with No, they do not support it. My soon to be ex-wife stated that one of her reasons for leaving was my recent interest, she called it obsession, with prepping. Even though I had done no more than suggest storring extra food and water. I also suggested we cut back on some things such as going out to eat and making purchases we didn't need to so that we could start saving and work on getting out of debt. I talked about future stuff like having a generator, starting a garden, canning food etc. But I wasn't out spending money we didn't have.

I have no family here and her family doesn't even understand why I carry a pistol all the time. They accept it but don't understand it. Her mom won't even turn on the security system in their home and half the time leaves the front door unlocked. As far as prepping goes with her family, forget it.

My family back home in CO seems to be a little more open to the idea. I think that when I go back I can get them started.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Gosh, sorry to hear that, Beau. Cutting back on spending? Having a generator and a garden? Storing some extra food? I don't see how people could see it as a bad thing. Or be so threatened and angered by it. But some people are, and its unfortunate. I wish you the best throughout the ordeal. Hope you stick around on INGO.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Personally my family is pretty receptive to it. My parents have also expressed interest in starting to have their own preps ready. I'm thankful for that.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Well, My husband is the one that got me started. Now we are in it together, for the long hall. I hope to never have to actually use my preps. I am prepping in hopes that S will never HTF. We'lls ee though. Doug on the other hand is certain that s WILL htf. BOOOO DOUG.
    We recently purchased my mothers house from her as she can no longer take care if it. And with the purchase of the house, came my Mother. She always thought we were nuts for prepping. But now that she has seen what it is we stockpile and how much we have, she is okay with it. She's actually getting into a bit.

My sister thinks my husband and I are just plain nuts. We don't talk much! If Shtf, I'm sure she'll come knocking.

In the midst of all this, I'm trying to prep for as many people as possible. I have a lot of familly that think we are a little crazy, but when/if the time comes, I want to be able to help them!

I voted #7 FYI.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Immediate family is very supportive. Wife has pretty much given carte blanche - do whatever I think we need to do. Kids are supportive, understand the purpose and the objectives, but still do the occasional eye roll (teen-agers).
    It's the extended family that doesn't get it - light hearted jokes and comments, which don't bother me at all. But the fact that they see what we're doing and still do nothing does bother me.
    Overall, very thankful for wife's and family support. It makes things much easier - because I would be doing things with or without the support, as I view this as my primary responsibility in providing for my family.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks Rambone. I will definately be sticking around here even after I move. This is one of the best sites ever. Fenway is the man! (can we get a brown nose smiley?)

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    My wife is fanatical about prepping. If I didn't rein her in, she'd spend the mortgage money on prepping.

Last week she was all excited because she found a place to buy canned butter - butter with an indefinite shelf life. The woman is obsessed.

Her latest thing is being worried about the defensibility of our house. She wants to replace the windows with armored firing ports. I am not kidding.

Lately she's been asking if we have enough ammo.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    My wife is supportive course she doesn't let me get to crazy with the $$.lol. One area of prep I do have trouble with is. Seceruity, ie. Weapons, tactics etc. My step father and mother also prep a bit. I have a hard time explaining to them the need for diffirent types of weapons, reloaders, ammo. Cutting back areas of the woods that are to close to the house. (Fields of fire)....Being a Vetran it's common since to me. I forget that this is not the case with alot of people.

One thing that is comforting is the amount of people on here that are aware of the need to prep. I hope that if/when somthing does occure. We are able to reach out and help each other.
    Hey, Beau, I was stationed at Ft. Carson in the mid 90's. Lived up in Divide Co. It's a great State.
    God bless you all
    &
    God bless the USA!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Well, My husband is the one that got me started. Now we are in it together, for the long hall. I hope to never have to actually use my preps. I am prepping in hopes that S will never HTF. We'lls ee though. Doug on the other hand is certain that s WILL htf. BOOOO DOUG.

Hah, he is certain that the S will HTF, but he's the same guy who is indifferent to shooting firearms? :dunno:

I didn't know it was possible to be a prepper and not a gun-nut. :):

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I called my wife 2 weeks ago about buying another gun and she said, go ahead. It will probably be worth more as a gun than it will be as cash.

I have closets full of stuff she canned this summer. We keep giving it away to the kids when they come to visit.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    My ex gave me hell

Probably one of the reasons we arent together. Our money went to new furniture and always fixing up the house which is already pristine. Unfortunately, she is the type of person who will be first in line to ask for help if SHTF. We share my/our daughter so I guess Im screwed but at least I know Ill be the one who saved... She just better leave her family at home cause they are exactly like she is.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Hubby and I do all we can afford to do. My older brother is a part of this as well. One of my major concerns in the past were my elderly parents in Indy.....Mom died the end of August and then I had to put Dad in a care facility there in town. He is lost in Alzhimers and as callous as it sounds, dying is the only thing that could make things better for him. Now my primary concern is our grandchildren and making sure we can care for them if things go completely off the track.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    The wife and I do what we can. We try to take steps to be prepared for one month supplies as a reasonable first step. This isn't terribly difficult, all year when we saw a 10 for $10 deal at the stores(oatmeal,peanut butter,etc)we'd buy them. I know of others who garden,can their food. Others people(coupon moms) stock food and supplies because buying a LOT of what you use that's on sale with bonus coupons is how one saves $ in the long run.I really don't know anyone, even our anti-gun neighbors who think stocking food, toilet paper,etc is crazy.

Top Bottom