• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Its kind of funny. On this website I could argue that iam not near as prepared as others here, but there is practically noone around me who is as near prepared as me. When I step away from this community,(ingun owners), it's like iam the most prepared, "radical" person around.
    I bet many of you get the same feeling. 90% of the people I talk to have no water, very little food in stock. Never think about what could happen, and think if you are prepared than you are kind of weird.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    That's us,we can get by for a month easy. After that? Most of society today thinks like your last sentence, kind of weird if you give a thought to ANYTHING being prepared for anything. The Boy Scouts used to be cool in this regard. We don't have NEAR the preps others, in their wisdom ,have.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Ditto

Most of the people who know me and know that I prep think I'm a little nuts. I don't care though, I'd rather be though of as eccentic than fail to prepare because of peer pressure. Now, where did I put those silver bullets...

Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have managed to convince a few of my friends. What I usually hear though is "If things get that bad, I don't want to live anyway." I don't understand the logic behind that statement. I respond with something like "Imagine the transportation industry down for 6 months. Wouldn't you want to be comfortable until things get running again?" Sometimes it helps them to consider temporary chaos instead of all out apocalypse.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If we don't take anyone in, we could go at least 6 mos without leaving the house. Maybe longer but no certain. Water should be okay forever, just the food. I should be able to start eating out of the garden during that time period.

I know what you mean though on your perspective being different here than in real world. I used to think I had a good sized gun collection until I started talking to some of these guys.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Yes, I am FAR more prepared than those around me, but not near the level of many here. Also, YES, those around me think I'm a bit nutz for it, even family. Guess who's not coming to dinner when the SHTF? Well, maybe I'll invite mom anyways, she's a doctor and has a lot of stuff I want access to when the SHTF.......

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If we don't take anyone in, we could go at least 6 mos without leaving the house. Maybe longer but no certain. Water should be okay forever, just the food. I should be able to start eating out of the garden during that time period.

I know what you mean though on your perspective being different here than in real world. I used to think I had a good sized gun collection until I started talking to some of these guys.[/quote]

Aren't most of us in this boat though, there is always someone with more money than "you".

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    Its kind of funny. On this website I could argue that iam not near as prepared as others here, but there is practically noone around me who is as near prepared as me. When I step away from this community,(ingun owners), it's like iam the most prepared, "radical" person around.
    I bet many of you get the same feeling. 90% of the people I talk to have no water, very little food in stock. Never think about what could happen, and think if you are prepared than you are kind of weird.

Eagle_Al, just be careful who you talk to and what you tell them you've got. If or when the SHTF they'll be knocking at your door looking for food.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    I have to agree with insidethebunker on this one. It's great to let your friends know that you will be ready when something does go wrong, but what will happen when they quit laughing at you and really need some help. They will come running to your door and be begging for your help. I know it would be great to help them out, but you first have to think about your family along with yourself. They may laugh at you when you show off your water supply, canned foods, other sources of food, excessive gun collection, and your stockpile of ammunition, but just wait until they wish it was them in your shoes. You never know when the S is gonna HTF.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, I feel woefully unprepared. I have a start, but a long way to go. By comparison to coworkers, friends, and family, I am stocked to the hilt and waiting for the apocalypse! All in your perspective, I guess.

Had a coworker ask if I was a "survivalist", I said no. Asked if I was a "prepper", again, no. I'm just trying to be responsible and take care of my family.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Man, I understand where you're coming from. Only one other person on my street is prepared for a SHTF scenario like I am and luckily we have a plan just in case we find ourselves in that situation. Most the people on my block are just living day to day and are far from being prepared for anything short of a car hitting a power pole. :rolleyes: Most of my family has been sheltered from the fact that I even own a gun and I'm forced to put it away when they come to visit so I don't make them "uncomfortable". Not my house so I do as I"m asked. I would like to stock up beyond what I have but I've reached my limit on space and my only other option is a storage unit across town. Now if my storage unit were closer or on my way to bug out, I'd stock it with stuff. But being it's on the outskirts of Indy, it just holds our non-essentials for right now.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I am not advertising to others besides families that I am prepared. However, this spring I am going to try to get my (rural) community involved in a community garden, because it is a form of preparation and will allow even these unprepared people to contribute.

Chris Martenson | Information on the global economy, environment, and our energy challenges. Real estate, oil, community, homes, money. - Chris Martenson, ChrisMartenson.com

Watch the crash course, show it to people around you, start doing permaculture, start community gardens and start preparing together. It will be much easier to defend yourself and you can use each others' skills.

If you don't plan on staying where you are this doesn't apply to you of course.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I have difficulty understanding those who wouldn't want to survive and go through hard times.

I've always felt that if civilization went to pot I'd want to be part of rebuilding it with my values and not leave it to those who think murder, thaft and mayhem are the way to rebuild.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Where I live there are only 5 houses in that area. I am certain that I am the only well armed person. I may have the only weaponry at all. I also would guess that I am the only one with more than a week or two of food. Things could get tough pretty quick around here.

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    my prep has come a long way in a short time. i didnt think it had until some people had made some coments and had some ? those that know me know i say whats on my mind in blunt terms. so the coments and ?'s ended quick.the lesson i got from that was i needed to be way more on the down-low. its not that all the ?'s were bad but it was the fact that the people with the ? were not that close to me to be knowing what i have. just not a smart idea. i have a few close friends and fam that know what im into and they share my ideas.now i make sure those that i know dont have the same ways of thinking are in the dark. your trash can give away as much info as words. just my 2 cents

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Had a person at work say it was "silly" to be prepared or take things seriously like preparation for disasters. I said to that person; "not being prepared is irresponsible"....they stood quiet.

Top Bottom