• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Last night while the girls and I were preparing for bed I heard a commotion from the chicken yard. Two nights ago I went out to the shop and startled a opossum, but by the time I ran back inside and grabbed a .22, he'd boogied. So I'd set the live trap and went about my business. In the morning, no prisoner.

Naked, I sprang out of bed, grabbed the AR and ran downstairs and barefoot and wearing nothing but my watch and gun, ran outside, turned on the Streamlight and there the little, err, <misunderstood youth>, was, chasing chickens around the yard. Our older hens know to roost in the elevated coop that has a PVC pipe set of rungs to get into, but the five younger girls haven't mastered that one yet and are still nesting inside the old coop or on the ground. I sighted in on him through the Eotech and shot from about a hundred feet as he was running after one bird. He started skedaddling, so, still fearing for the safety of the flock (that's my story and I'm sticking with it), I ran closer, barefoot through cold mud, aimed, shot again. Moving into the chicken yard I saw him tango down in the far end about 50' away with guts hanging out, so I swept the yard quickly for other unfriendlies and went back inside for some shoes. Coming back out I rapidly started taking count of the survivors. My heart sank when I saw a pile of feathers near the feeder. But to my surprise, all the 6 month olds were accounted for, though one girl had lost all of her tail plumage in the attack and she looks rather odd...

After ascertaining the civilians were safe, and tossing them all up into the roost, I went over the to the tango. Approaching cautiously, I saw him still breathing, so I took careful aim and put a bullet in his bony protuberance that purports to house a brain. After tossing his carcass over the fence I went back inside, washed my feet and hands, reloaded the AR, told the ladies what had transpired, and tried to calm down enough to get to sleep.

So moral of the story. Don't PO a naked man carrying a rifle.

Lesson learned, I have GOT to remember to stop to put on shoes. Bright lights attached to the gun are great. I need to get a floodlight installed for that side of the house. Next time, use sardines to bait the trap when I know the enemy is lurking.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    haha! Great story!

Just FYI for all possum shooters, a possum's brain is located primarily in the spinal cord. You can shoot them right in the head and they will live, most nervous system functions come from the spinal cord area.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I enjoy True Tales of Real Heroism!

This reminds me of the time I saved all of western civilization from an invasion of potentially spikey-haired killer mutant cannibal groundhogs.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I enjoy True Tales of Real Heroism!

This reminds me of the time I saved all of western civilization from an invasion of potentially spikey-haired killer mutant cannibal groundhogs.

YOU TOO????

I know I am a hero to my people. They thanked me by showering me with many bucks this morning. Of course that might have just been thanks for the grain.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We should start a lodge or club or something for people who have saved humanity, but get largely overlooked because no one else recognizes the true extent of their deeds.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I squished a spider last night. Does that count for saving humanity?

Depends . . . did you step on it, or use a Kleenex? The latter is a lot riskier and therefore potentially more heroic.

It also depends on that spider's intent and mission. If it was a forward scout for an evil cabal of spikey-haired killer mutant cannibal spiders intent on world domination, then . . . yeah. It does.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Depends . . . did you step on it, or use a Kleenex? The latter is a lot riskier and therefore potentially more heroic.

It also depends on that spider's intent and mission. If it was a forward scout for an evil cabal of spikey-haired killer mutant cannibal spiders intent on world domination, then . . . yeah. It does.

Well, technically I sent my wife to do the actual squishing. I did recon the target, and dispatch forces required.... You know, sort of a command and control role, like General Patton. Same thing, right?

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Shibumiseeker, I am reminded of another story. Like the time you ran out of the "then" cabin, (naked or with long underwear?)with an SKS and almost ended up with season tickets for a basketball team. That, we'll keep under our hats! Nice write up. By the by, are you still selling chickens?!

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Shibumiseeker, I am reminded of another story. Like the time you ran out of the "then" cabin, (naked or with long underwear?)with an SKS and almost ended up with season tickets for a basketball team. That, we'll keep under our hats! Nice write up. By the by, are you still selling chickens?!

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking of writing that little incident up and posting it. I can't find my original writeup of it.

Yep, some of the older birds are still for sale, lemme know.

Top Bottom