• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I would be in, I am wanting to get my HAM license and have started to look at stuff on line.

Good idea.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have only been at it a year, it is a lot to take in. Start taking the free online practice tests. Unless you want to drop some big money on a radio up front I would buy a Yaesu FT-2900 Its 75w mobile unit, that with a cheap arrow antenna will get you into more repeaters than you will need.

I am just finishing up a quad antenna that may get me to Indy from Fort Wayne, so I can join in once you guys get set up.

I am going to start studying for the General test. An Ingun 40 or 80 meter net would be interesting.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm looking for a location near Fishers/Noblesville I can give my "Radio Communications during an Event" talk again. And as I mentioned previously
    If that goes well and there's enough Interest I would be willing to teach a technician license class. I think that meeting four Saturdays for about three hours each should be enough to help a group of folks pass their technician class license.

If there's even more interest I could be convinced later to do a General License class. But that's further down the road. Not enough Technicians here to make it worth while yet I think.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I've heard from people who've done it (SirRealism) that it's just a lot of old guys talking over long distances about their radio setup. :):

That is a generally true statement for those on HF (<30 MHz) but you will find that the VHF-UHF frequency users usually engage in everyday conversation as one would on the telephone. There are some exceptions on HF, I personally enjoy working 40 meter CW (Morse Code = Continuous Wave) and generally exchange the above mentioned information concerning the radio used, antenna, weather etc. but not exclusively. Often times you find others with common interests and converse at length. :twocents:

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I am certainly interested. I have no equipment, and I am just looking for a place to take the exam to get licensed. However, I would like to learn from those who know, and INGO is the reason I began to seriously consider getting started.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've heard from people who've done it (SirRealism) that it's just a lot of old guys talking over long distances about their radio setup. :):

Pretty much. But during disaster and SHTF it's extremely useful. Years ago on a mission we had the state police officers who could not get the state radio system to work envying us the capability we had. One trooper grumbled that the state had just spent several million dollars on a system that couldn't do half of what ours did, and couldn't talk out of the deep woods we were in. It's also often the first communications out of widespread disaster struck areas.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Count me in. Also, for the guys in Hancock County (or close by), the Hancock Amateur Radio Club (W9ATG) meets the 4th Wednesday of each month at Greenfield-Central HS, and visitors are always welcome. -- Greg, de K9TLA

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I'm curious about getting a license but that made me think of something. Shooters often or usually have more than one gun. If HAM's have more than 1 radio, even if it's a 2-meter do you prep the packaging for one plus an antenna to have it protected and available in the aftermath of EMP?

I've heard 2-meters is only normally good for 25-30 miles but that sounds like a lot under the EMP circumstanse even without repeaters. You could always relay messages.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Are there any good amateur radio boards like INGO that you would recommend, if not, any chance of adding an Amateur Radio area in the General Interest forums here?

I know that I am full of questions, and I just made contact with the local group here in Blackford County and I will be attending their next meeting, but I have hesitated posting radio related questions here, because there just doesn't seem to be a real fitting area.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Are there any good amateur radio boards like INGO that you would recommend, if not, any chance of adding an Amateur Radio area in the General Interest forums here?

I know that I am full of questions, and I just made contact with the local group here in Blackford County and I will be attending their next meeting, but I have hesitated posting radio related questions here, because there just doesn't seem to be a real fitting area.

eham.net has a good forum I get on occasionally and they have a good classified section as well. I am also willing to try to answer any questions anyone may have concerning ham radio.

Trivia; the term ham originated from a term old CW operators used to describe an operator whose sending ability was poor, they were referred to as having "a fist like a ham" fist meaning to their ability to send properly formed and spaced dots and dashes. This was in the day of the straight key and just after smoke signals.

ranger2k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Franklin
    Amateur Radio - Ham Radio - is a great hobby. It's been part of my life for over 30 years now.

As far as places to look for on-line info, there are several. Above was a mention of eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site, there are also practice questions and answers, buy/sell/trade on QRZ.COM Callsign Database. The American Radio Relay League has everything you want/need to know about what Amateur Radio is and does, including testing info, where/when tests are scheduled for licenses and local contact info for clubs in all areas of the country. The ARRL is at ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page. One final link, my favorite for buy/sell is Ham Radio Home Page - QTH.COM by KA9FOX! Classified swap ads for amateur radio, ham radio and more. Go to the classifieds area, great resource for equipment.

My station is setup primarily for HF. I've enjoyed that for years and do 99% of my contacts using good old CW (morse code). The hobby is a great way to "travel" the world, without leaving your favorite operating chair :)

If I can assist with anything, questions/answers about the hobby or the hardware, I'd be glad too.:patriot:

K9IG

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I'm looking for a location near Fishers/Noblesville I can give my "Radio Communications during an Event" talk again. And as I mentioned previously
    If that goes well and there's enough Interest I would be willing to teach a technician license class. I think that meeting four Saturdays for about three hours each should be enough to help a group of folks pass their technician class license.

If there's even more interest I could be convinced later to do a General License class. But that's further down the road. Not enough Technicians here to make it worth while yet I think.
    Lars
    Let me know if you would like a guest speaker on MARS/SHARES/EAS. I would be glad to speak.
    Rich K9WG/AFA5CY

Top Bottom