Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40

User Info Menu

Anybody know if there is any real difference between a standard 2m antenna and a "dual band" antenna? I've got an old homemade antenna up in my attic with a PL259 hookup in my office from when I used to be active on 2m many years ago. I kind of lost interest for a long time, but kept my license renewed. (Still a tech since 1995, LOL) I'm kind of getting back into having some communication equipment other than my cell phone, so I'm back into ham radio.

I'm currently running an old ICOM V8000 as a base on my attic antenna, but am thinking about replacing it with a dual band radio. I'd like to be able to use the same antenna. Seems to me it should work fine. I've checked standing wave with both my El Cheapo Baofeng HT and my ICOM 2730a before I installed it in my truck, and it was excellent on both 2m and 70cm.

Thanks!
    Deserves got nothing to do with it...

rvb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    I passed my technician class exam last night!!!

now go get that general!
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Route 45 View Post
    Anybody know if there is any real difference between a standard 2m antenna and a "dual band" antenna? I've got an old homemade antenna up in my attic with a PL259 hookup in my office from when I used to be active on 2m many years ago. I kind of lost interest for a long time, but kept my license renewed. (Still a tech since 1995, LOL) I'm kind of getting back into having some communication equipment other than my cell phone, so I'm back into ham radio.

I'm currently running an old ICOM V8000 as a base on my attic antenna, but am thinking about replacing it with a dual band radio. I'd like to be able to use the same antenna. Seems to me it should work fine. I've checked standing wave with both my El Cheapo Baofeng HT and my ICOM 2730a before I installed it in my truck, and it was excellent on both 2m and 70cm.

Thanks!
    Dual band antennas are just a label. Due to harmonics between the two bands, one operates at 1/2 wave, the other 1/4 wave. So you will either end up with a full or 1/4 wave antenna depending on how yours is designed.

On a related note, I'm playing around with tiger tails.
    KM4FMK.com - Tiger tails

Going to build a couple hammo cans as well this summer. Just need to figure out what this power controller is. (EDIT: Found the parts on their site)
    https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.htm...Box/p/58978487
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post

now go get that general!
    That is the plan!! haha

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40