• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    It was 30DEC99 and my son was a patient at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He had been born in September with a serious heart defect. My wife and I were very anxious for several reasons, since he was stable my biggest fear was being stuck in the ghetto of Baltimore for Y2K. I had secured leave from the police department so that I could take my family to my parents house and watch the world from a safe distance. What worried me then, as it does now with major social events, is not the danger of the events themselves, but the actions of those who are unprepared and desperate.

Well, as we know Y2K turned out to be a non-event. Either way we had been discharged from the hospital and traveled to my parents house and enjoyed the new year. The interesting thing about Y2K was that unlike any other event it was scheduled. We knew the exact time and date and were given time to plan for it. For many, it was their first time dabbling in the survival community, which is now known as the preparedness community.

Survival- the act or fact of surviving, esp. under adverse or unusual circumstances and diversity.

The following is only my opinion based on my own life, that of my close friends, and conversations with some students.

Whenever there is a climate of uncertainty in society, there is a very small percentage of the population that realizes for the first time that they need to prepare. For many this means rushing for the first time to buy guns, gear, flashlights, knives, you name it. Using the Internet and friends, they seek advice as to what they should purchase. What they usually end up with is a big pile of gear that they have either never used before, or even know how to use.

As with anything, you first need to inventory your needs and exposures. Too many family men purchase and train like they are going to be the lone survivor walking down the street decked out with multi-cam with their tricked out M4 in hand. How long do you think any one person would last like that in reality? Even though, romantic as it may be, the truth is that lots of guys would be just like me if they had to bug out; that is in a mini-van with crying kids and a *****ing wife. We have all been there; a family road trip, the kids have to pee, the wife is hungry, and you are stuck in traffic. Do you think things would be any better if you were driving to an unknown location in an emergency with a bunch of other people running from the same thing? Life will go on, your kids will get cold, they will puke in the van, they will want to eat. Everyone will begin to miss their creature comforts. What about the pets? Yeah, I know there are lots of tough guys saying forget them. Try to put that one by the kids. What about prescription medications and coffee? Yes, they are the same to me.

You also need someplace to go. This is a fundamental tactical rule. Never leave a location without having another location to move to. You have to consider time, distance, and terrain. If it is an apocalyptic event, will traveling only increase your exposure to threat? The farther the distance, the more exposure. On your route, are there likely choke points or checkpoints? Will you be crossing jurisdictions where what is a legally owned firearm at your home, is an arrestable offense in another? These are questions that come to mind for a preplanned location. What if you are in refugee mode and traveling with the masses? What if the unprepared on the route see something you have in traffic and decide to take it? I know, you will shoot them. What if they shoot you in return, and you are killed or injured? Does your wife know how to use your high speed gear? Does she even know enough first aid to save you? Can she do it with your kids screaming because blood is pumping out of your chest? Unfortunately, any of us may face these situations if there is an incident that makes our current location uninhabitable. Everyone should have a place in mind to move to if necessary. I like to use a town, county, state approach. Have somewhere to move in your town, out of your town, in another county, in another state. The most important one to me is the one in town. They should be people that are like minded. If you have kids, it would be helpful for them to have kids. If you have pets, they will be more welcome by someone else who has pets. The shorter the distance you need to move increases your survivability with a lesser amount of exposure.

Preparedness is like physical fitness, the little things you do every day matter more than the big things you do once in a while. You will need a flashlight or first aid kit before a firearm. All three can save yours or someone else's life. You just need to admit to yourself that possession of an item has nothing to do with proficiency. To me it is more important that my wife can deal with an arterial bleed or perform CPR on my kid than be able to do transitions from a rifle to a pistol.

Don't get me wrong, I love gear. Especially useful gear. Now that I am retired and teaching full time, I live out of the Bag of Evil. This is to the point that instead of packing my shaving kit to travel I just use my shaving kit at home. It makes it easier not to forget anything. I do the same thing with the Bag of Evil. When I am home, most of what I use from my digital camera, to spare batteries, to medications is in my bag. This has achieved two things. One is that I always know the status of my gear. Secondly, I can find anything in the bag in the dark or send someone else for something. I have been using the So Tech Mission Pack for over a year and do not see myself changing. The design of the bag allows me to use the front two pockets for everyday items and the interior mesh pockets for lesser used items, like my first aid and tool kit. The main compartment is left open except for my RMJ Shrike Tomahawk. Since the rest of the pack is full of EDC items, the main compartment can be filled with things that are mission specific or needed in an emergency. The bottom line is "know your bag". Work out of it, live out of it, carry it. There is nothing worse than picking up a stuffed pack and carrying it for the first time in an emergency. Work with your bag. If you find you need something more than once, just add it.

If you need to balance a preparedness life style with being a normal person, do the little things every day. It also means you will be more aware, and better able to recognize your options. It is easier when you know what you have to work with.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Great read!

I would rather team up with a medic (and his/her med gear) that "only" had a .38 for defense. So true, the general knowledge of trauma first aid :yesway:may very well serve one better than rifle to pistol transition.But then, what would the cable tv gun shows talk about?:): All joking aside, preping/survival is more mind set than gear. Gear, guns, etc. ARE USELESS without pre-planning/ training. We just do what we can while we live this beautiful life we're given.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i agree with most everything you just said. i am also just like you. and have been for years lol. since i joined the army i just started living out of my ruck and go bags. like you said you just get so use to it becomes normal.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    My feelings on this really go up and down depending on what is going on and where I am. At the end of this month I will be in three different cities teaching within 10 days. Long ago I gave up the fantasy that I would have my full war bag if something happened. I have gone out of my way to ensure that that I have at least a pistol and spare mag. The good thing is that I usually have a POC where ever am that is like minded. Good friends will hand you a pistol when you get off a plane
    smile.gif

Recently for the very first time my wife and I have been able to align ourselves with a family that works for us. We like the couple, we have kids the same way, and they believe what we believe. We live within sight of each other and watch after each other doing things like watching kids, he did my driveway when I was in AL teaching and we had a blizzard. If you cannot count on your friends everyday how can you expect to count on them in an emergency.

In contrast my wife's entire family lives no more than 10 minutes away. We cannot count on them day to day, so I would not even consider them in an emergency. They are anti-gun and not the preparedness type.

Just having the piece of mind knowing you have surrounded yourself with people that have proved themselves reliable allows you to recognize options that others will not be able to enjoy.- George

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Man, you are lucky!

My feelings on this really go up and down depending on what is going on and where I am. At the end of this month I will be in three different cities teaching within 10 days. Long ago I gave up the fantasy that I would have my full war bag if something happened. I have gone out of my way to ensure that that I have at least a pistol and spare mag. The good thing is that I usually have a POC where ever am that is like minded. Good friends will hand you a pistol when you get off a plane
    smile.gif

Recently for the very first time my wife and I have been able to align ourselves with a family that works for us. We like the couple, we have kids the same way, and they believe what we believe. We live within sight of each other and watch after each other doing things like watching kids, he did my driveway when I was in AL teaching and we had a blizzard. If you cannot count on your friends everyday how can you expect to count on them in an emergency.

In contrast my wife's entire family lives no more than 10 minutes away. We cannot count on them day to day, so I would not even consider them in an emergency. They are anti-gun and not the preparedness type.

Just having the piece of mind knowing you have surrounded yourself with people that have proved themselves reliable allows you to recognize options that others will not be able to enjoy.- George

:yesway: To have good like-minded friends/neighbors close by is better than an AR in the safe!:):

WeAreNotAlone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    smile.gif

Funny story on the Anti-Gunner types, many years ago myself, girlfriend, her girlfriend and a guy from Canada went camping. The other girl and her boyfriend giving me static for bringing some of those evil black weapons for protection.

About 3-4am we heard several males which sounded like they were drunk saying words to the effect that they should go over to our tent and do what they wished to the women.

Long story short the two anti-gunner types each requested a weapon...:ar15:

Funny how the Anti-Gunner types when it's a choice of living or dying realize it's better to be looking down the barrel of a gun, instead of into the barrel of a gun.

Top Bottom