• ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A few notes on FL and UT out-of-state permits:

Florida's training requirements include live fire; whereas, Utah does not.
    NRA's Basic Pistol course (or similar certified instruction) suffices for Florida, but not for Utah.
    Utah requires a class taught by instructors that have been certified in Utah.

Currently, 25 states honor the Indiana permit (add Iowa on 1-1-2011):
    AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY.

With the Florida permit, add the following eight states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: KS and NM honor FL permits but not UT permits.

With the Utah permit, add the following seven states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: MN honors UT permits but not FL permits.

So, if you travel to Kansas or New Mexico, get the FL permit.
    If you travel to MN, get the UT permit.

The Florida permit costs $117 (plus photo, plus fingerprinting, plus postage.) Total cost will be about $130, not including the required training. Florida's permit is good for seven years.

The Utah permit can be obtained for less money, and there are classes listed, here, on INGO that you can take. I am not sure of the exact costs.

This is not a complete discussion, but I hope it helps a bit.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In addition, there are multiple ways to satisfy the training requirement for the Florida permit. For example,if you have a competition classification in any NRA discipline or USPSA you can use that. Military service will do it too.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    UT - more expensive up front including UT training class, but less expensive after a renewal or two since the renewals (5 yrs) are only $10.

FL - less expensive up front if you have suitable evidence of training (even a hunter's safety class will suffice per FL 790.06, and you can do this online inexpensively), but more expensive in the long run as every renewal (7 yrs currently) is $112 (iirc).

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov

FL 790.06 excerpt:
    "(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;"

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    UT - more expensive up front including UT training class, but less expensive after a renewal or two since the renewals (5 yrs) are only $10.

FL - less expensive up front if you have suitable evidence of training (even a hunter's safety class will suffice per FL 790.06, and you can do this online inexpensively), but more expensive in the long run as every renewal (7 yrs currently) is $112 (iirc).

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov

FL 790.06 excerpt:
    "(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;"

:+1:

Excellent!!

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    there was a recent change in teh Utah requirements (as of 1st of this year, if i recall correctly) that Utah now has a live fire element to their non-resident permits. I took a class with Jim Floyd and he emailed everyone afterward alerting us to this fact and offering to watch us fire at a range to be compliant with the new law.

Fl doesnt have any special class requirements other than the hours and livefire.

FL permit also gets you Kansas, if you care and is good for 7 years now.

Peashooter

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    Utah does not require "live fire excercise" as mandatory. They will support it if the Instructor chooses to include the excercise in his training including the minimum training curriculum, but it is NOT required by the State of Utah in order to be issued a CFP.

Bruce Campbell
    Certified Utah CFP Instructor
    Campbell Personal Defense - HOME

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My bad on the Utah live fire. I went back in my email and re-read the email from Jim Floyd and realized that it was Florida that added the live fire component, not Utah. I was taking the class for the Utah permit but ended up getting a FL permit using other training i had taken. Sorry for my brain fart confusion.

PeaShooter

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Bringing back an old thread here since we were in Florida earlier in the week and I did the non-resident Florida CCP thing. Had an appointment Tuesday (the 17th) morning, it issued today. DD 214 and a drivers license, in and out in <30 minutes.

Looking at the posts in this thread it's good to see how far we've come in not-quite 10 years. In 2010 Indiana had reciprocity with 25 States (32 now.) For me I'm getting New Mexico and Nevada. Maybe I'll venture into Nebraska because I can. Delaware? Signs point to "NO!!"

Top Bottom