• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think combining the 2 hand,strong hand, weak hand aspects of the iron cross drill with a figure 8 drill make it more effective. The figure 8 drill brings in the added aspects of reacting to a random stimulus to start the drill and makes the angles unexpected.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    For those not familiar with Super Dave & his Iron Cross drill:

It's shot at about 10M on an IDPA target. It takes 24 rounds to complete. Par time is around a minute.

Here's a link

This is all cut & pasted from the above link.

For all positions, start standing hands naturally at sides. Note: Muzzle awareness is paramount throughout the drill, as these shooting positions are non-standard and require advance gun manipulation skills.

Position 1: Facing down range
    String 1: Draw and fire 1 round at the target free style (using 2 handed grip)
    String 2: Draw and fire 1 round at the target using your dominant hand
    String 3: Draw (dominant hand), transfer the gun to the support hand and fire 1 round at the target using your support hand
    String 4: Draw using only your support hand and fire 1 round at the target using your support hand

Position 2: Facing 90 right of down range
    String 3: Draw (dominant hand), transfer the gun to the support hand and fire 1 round at the target using your support hand
    String 4: Draw using only your support hand and fire 1 round at the target using your support hand

Position 3: Facing up range
    String 1-4 Rotate to the Left, String 5-8 Rotate to the Right
    String 5: Draw and fire 1 round at the target free style (using 2 handed grip)
    String 6: Draw and fire 1 round at the target using your dominant hand
    String 7: Draw (dominant hand), transfer the gun to the support hand and fire 1 round at the target using your support hand
    String 8: Draw using only your support hand and fire 1 round at the target using your support hand

Position 4: Facing 90 left of down range

Position 5: Facing down range (same as Position 1)

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    FWIW, String 3/7 always struck me as goofy. I do not know that it has any real applicability.

The rest of the drill, I have no issue with, even if it's just from the perspective of an interesting marksmanship exercise.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I think its real benefit is that you have to think it through as you work it and you work a lot of different manipulations. So, it is a concentration issue, more than anything else. 10m is not far at all for any of one of these shots. But stringing them all together with the goofy, distracting positions and a bit of time pressure makes for a good exercise in concentration.

As far as real-world applicability, I'm not sure any particular maneuver would be one you would train to intentionally replicate.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I think its real benefit is that you have to think it through as you work it and you work a lot of different manipulations. So, it is a concentration issue, more than anything else. 10m is not far at all for any of one of these shots. But stringing them all together with the goofy, distracting positions and a bit of time pressure makes for a good exercise in concentration.

As far as real-world applicability, I'm not sure any particular maneuver would be one you would train to intentionally replicate.

ever shoot from a car or booth or table in a building were you may not be able to fight from or hav ea hard angle to draw and clear your gun?
    Note Dave is a friend,I have his permission to use this drill it does have some very real applications

hand transfer has been done by those shot in the arm or hand there was some video a few years back of an officer doing it......

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    ever shoot from a car or booth or table in a building were you may not be able to fight from or hav ea hard angle to draw and clear your gun?
    Note Dave is a friend,I have his permission to use this drill it does have some very real applications

hand transfer has been done by those shot in the arm or hand there was some video a few years back of an officer doing it......

Yes, I've shot from all of those positions many times. I agree you don't always get a chance for a perfect set-up. And I see the value in this for his drill. I was wondering if there is any other reasoning behind the creation of it.

Some of the positions are so awkward, I would probably expend energy getting into a better position or seeking cover rather than engaging. Like the two-hand rear facing over the right shoulder. (Position 3, String 5).

I'd like to train with him-never have yet.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Yes, I've shot from all of those positions many times. I agree you don't always get a chance for a perfect set-up. And I see the value in this for his drill. I was wondering if there is any other reasoning behind the creation of it.

Some of the positions are so awkward, I would probably expend energy getting into a better position or seeking cover rather than engaging. Like the two-hand rear facing over the right shoulder. (Position 3, String 5).

I'd like to train with him-never have yet.

thats part of it..... its to push out of your comfort zone... its also to hone your muzzle tracking skills as well as working around others... and shooting from wtf postions

i have personally thought to myself after several of daves classes while standing in line at the movie theater, or local store were if i cant move but can rotate my torso i can get effective hits

dave is a thinker he will get in your head

one i thought of was at a class were i had to shoot a bad guy from the driver seat through the rear window of the car and another out the rear passenger window it came into play there as well...

again its a thinking drill

Top Bottom