Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

I'll add a few more:

Know the capabilities and limitations of your vehicle. Practice (in a safe, controlled environment).

Can your car/truck clear a curb? How high? Ever driven off-road? How do you drive out of a ditch? How much space do you need side-to-side? How fast can you safely corner? In the Rain? Snow?

Lots of folks have 4x4s and sport utilities , but just assume that 4WD will magically get them where the need to go. Reality is a tad different. But, a little knowledge and skill can be the difference between abandoning your stuck vehicle and making home.

An aside:
    I actually have access to the curriculum for an off-road driving course. It would take me all of 5 minutes to be a "certified instructor" (not only do I have connections, but I'm a professional trainer by trade, and have written some of my own material on this topic). Is there a market for an actual 4WD off-road driving course? What would you pay for 1/2 day classroom and 1/2 day behind the wheel? I've been chewing on this for a couple of years, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

Completely unrelated thought:
    I mentioned earlier about keeping your car clean to prevent theft. The same goes for general safety. Keep crap out from under your pedals and from sliding in the seats. You get distracted grabbing for it, and it can be downright dangerous in an accident.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    ...What would you pay for 1/2 day classroom and 1/2 day behind the wheel? I've been chewing on this for a couple of years, but just haven't pulled the trigger. ..
    Minimal, for a brand new instructor anyway. However, if you do your job well leaving me a strong impression, I will talk, talk, talk and post, post, post. That is actually way more valuable than cash for a starting business.

Please put me on your mailing list.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Another one for motorcycles...buy and watch "Ride like a Pro." It's put on by a motor patrol officer instructor who is one of the best in the world. It's worth its weight in gold if you have a big bike. It's still worth it if you ride a sport bike.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    For those that have asked for driving classes, I would recommend

Crossroads Training Academy, especially the truck/SUV program.

They are in Benton Harbor, Michigan just over the state line.
    Wow, I live five minutes from the airport and knew nothing of this. Worse than that is that Kirk taught me something worthwhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cedartop View Post
    Wow, I live five minutes from the airport and knew nothing of this. Worse than that is that Kirk taught me something worthwhile.
    So you're saying we can crash at your place for the course, right?

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by esrice View Post
    So you're saying we can crash at your place for the course, right?
    Depends who "we" is, you are welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cedartop View Post
    Depends who "we" is, you are welcome.

Looking at their courses the "Nanny Awareness Program" looks interesting. Hope I don't have to dress like a Nanny though.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I may get to take back what I said about Kirk teaching me something WORTHWHILE, looking at their schedule, the last class they listed was on 2011.

User Info Menu

I can second the tactic to drive in the outside lane, give yourself an out, and not get boxed in. I had a near tragic accident on I65 when all traffic in front of me came to a halt. Left myself plenty of room between me and the car in front of me, and I was in the left most lane. The guy coming up behind me in his Hummer was busy talking on the phone, and not watching traffic. I instinctively used my space to turn into the left shoulder. He swerved at the last second and barely missed the car that was in front of me. I would have been plowed into had I not moved.

I rarely used the freeways after this - it's always been my thought that the freeways box you in too much, and leave you little escape.

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone mentioned check the back seat before getting in the car.

"Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast