• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    We as Americans spend a lot of time in our vehicles. So it stands to reason that we should consider the defense of ourselves in and around vehicles.

What are some defensive "tips" that you could offer for when driving or when operating around a vehicle?

Here are a few to get things started:

• Keep your doors locked.
    • Driving out of a bad situation is often the best tactic.
    • Take off your seatbelt when you're not actively driving.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was more looking for INGOer input. ;)

Well he's almost an INGO member now. :dunno:

But he says some good things, like always keeping space in front of your car when stuck in traffic.
    I always do that and I actually learned it in driving school here.My instructor said you should always be able to see the wheels of the car in from of you touching the ground.That means you have enough room to change line without touching the car.
    I do that especially when stopped at a red line with a car in front of me, this way I can drive on the sidewalk and get away if I have to.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    leave yourself an "out" while driving. no matter where you are, plan to be able to leave in a hurry as much as possible.

Someone once suggested that when you pull up behind someone at a traffic light, never pull up so close that you can't see where their tires meet the pavement. That way you leave yourself enough room to move around them if necessary.

I don't know exactly where I heard it first but it has stuck with me.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    leave yourself an "out" while driving. no matter where you are, plan to be able to leave in a hurry as much as possible.

Big on here! Learned this lesson the hard way multiple time while living in Chicago. Being in the inside lane can very quickly lead you to being stuck.

Ride in the outside lane wherever possible, keep enough room between you and the car in front of you that you can easily turn onto the shoulder or next lane. AKA don't tailgate.

Others:

• Keep your gas tank at least half full
    • Keep up to date on standard maintenance, especially tires, brakes and fluid levels
    • back into parking spaces or pull through so you can drive straight out

I know a few more but I'm tired. :dunno:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Don't grab the steering wheel with your thumbs. Always have your thumbs "over" the wheel.

That way if you're ever in a car wreck, you don't break your thumbs. Because that will suck.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    a moving vehicle has more stopping power than a 230 grain hollow point.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Anyone have any parking tips? Always back in? Stay away from bigger vehicles? Park under light poles?

I find the most important is how you approach your vehicle when you get back to your parking stop.

I also look under it from a distance to make sure that people are not waiting for me hiding behind it.
    Then I go all the way around the vehicle before I open the driver's door.
    This way I make sure that I have no ponctured tire, not broken window, that nobody is hiding on the rear seat, nobody stole my licence plates (we have one in the front and rear here and criminals can use them to hide their own plates).

You never know what can happen to your vehicle while you are away.
    Something just as simple as not noticing your rear tire is ponctured could be very dangerous once you start driving quite fast.

I also dont go straight to my car but rather look at the surroundings from a distance before I go to the car.
    In case people are trying to unlock cars parked next to my own car.

Finally I hold the car key in my left hand as I get close to the car (in a way that I can use it to strike vital areas like throat and eyes), letting my right hand free to access any weapon without having to drop the precious keys.

tyr1toby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    The space between the car in front of you can work for several reasons. Most drivers sit at the red light with their foot on the break. If you need out 3-4 feet can get you the momentum to force your car through. In a parking lot walk by your car not to it and take a look around as you walk. If you can circle it. Also dont forget to look in the car before you get in. If you are one of the few that still has to use keys to get into your car door keep them in your weak hand so you can defend yourself (access your gun) faster with your strong hand.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I find the most important is how you approach your vehicle when you get back to your parking stop.

I'm now in the habit of palming my Surefire LX2 when I'm in any dark area at night, like walking to my car in a dark lot. Obviously the light poles are enough to navigate, but having the light gives me more defensive options should I need them. And it doesn't draw any undue attention.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm now in the habit of palming my Surefire LX2 when I'm in any dark area at night, like walking to my car in a dark lot. Obviously the light poles are enough to navigate, but having the light gives me more defensive options should I need them.

Yes the light is a good option.If im walking in the city at night I always have a flashlight in my left hand, great to strike people with or just to shine a bright line in their face if they too close.
    It kinda works like pepper spray, people walk away and are a bit disoriented.
    They usually change sidewalk but it's 100% legal to use even if they dont attack you.
    If they are not a threat I just say "Oh sorry Sir" and I walk away.
    If they are a threat then I have my right hand free to bring an actual weapon into action as the light stays in their face.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Defensive tactics can also be while rolling. Always check you 360, look at your mirrors often and know what is around you in case you do have to perform an evasive maneuver. That being said, does anyone know where one could a driving class like the LEO's.

Top Bottom