• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Received a private e-mail message, December 24, from the IL State Police Lt. Col. in charge of the IL CCL program that approval of out-of-state instructors has (finally!) started. I am near the top of the list and expect to have formal certification very soon.

Stay tuned--updates soon!

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    NIFT, will IN residents qualify for IL non-resident permits considering our laws are not significantly similar to IL's?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    NIFT, will IN residents qualify for IL non-resident permits considering our laws are not significantly similar to IL's?

It appears the answer is yes.
    Here is what is posted on the IL State Police website re: Requirements Prior to Applying for a Concealed Carry License

NON-RESIDENTS
    • 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
    • An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
    • Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
    • A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
    • An Illinois Digital I.D. Java will be required for all of these computer functions to work correctly. To find out if you have the current Java click on this link and then click on “verify java version” to find out if you have Java. AGAIN – YOU MUST HAVE JAVA LOADED ON YOUR PC.
      Visit the Illinois Digital ID website to obtain a digital ID.
      NOTE: If you have questions, visit the Illinois Digital ID website FAQ page or call the Central Management Services Help Desk at 1-800-366-8768 for assistance with the Digital ID. Questions regarding the Concealed Carry License application process should be directed to the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980.
    • A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
    • Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
    • A notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
    • $300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    NIFT, thank you. That is great news considering I am in Chicago now for XMas. I look forward to hearing when you are officially certified so that I may get my IL license.

BTW, Merry Christmas!

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I am interested in this as well. When traveling through the state I get tired of having to unload and lock up prior to entering the state. Will the class requirements also cover state/local laws?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am interested in this as well. When traveling through the state I get tired of having to unload and lock up prior to entering the state. Will the class requirements also cover state/local laws?

Yes, the second day (required of everyone) will have the morning session dedicated almost entirely to Illinois laws. One of the nice things about the IL CCL law is it made IL a full preemption state, which means local governments are prohibited from having ordinances at variance with state law. Of course, Cook County and Chicago politicians are figuring out ways to work the margins in order to make it even more difficult for law abiding residents, there.

The afternoon session of the second day is live-fire qualification: 10 shots each from 5, 7, and 10 yards on a full-size B27 silhouette target. 21 of the 30 shots must hit the silhouette portion of the target. Not very challenging, to put it mildly.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I just read that IN residents may not *yet* be eligible for obtaining an IL non-resident license. I hope this changes.

NIFT, can you shed some light on this?

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/Home.aspx

This via Checklist For Applying:
    NON-RESIDENTS

In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

• Hawaii

Other requirements if your state meets the substantially similarly definition:
    • 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
    • An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
    • Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
    • A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
    • An Illinois Digital I.D. Java will be required for all of these computer functions to work correctly. To find out if you have the current Java click on this link and then click on “verify java version” to find out if you have Java. AGAIN – YOU MUST HAVE JAVA LOADED ON YOUR PC.
      Visit the Illinois Digital ID website to obtain a digital ID.
      NOTE: If you have questions, visit the Illinois Digital ID website FAQ page or call the Central Management Services Help Desk at 1-800-366-8768 for assistance with the Digital ID. Questions regarding the Concealed Carry License application process should be directed to the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980.
    • A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
    • Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
    • A notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
    • $300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Received notification, today, 1-2-14, of approval as an Illinois CCL Certified Instructor, along with one of my staff instructors, Sgt. Bryan DeYoung.
    My contact, a former Lt. Col. at the IL State Police who is back as a contract employee, called me and e-mailed my CCL Instructor number.

He did say the powers that be in Illinois have mailed out questionnaires to the powers that be in other states, including Indiana, regarding the "substantially similar" issue. He said the issue will resolve itself over time.

So, at this point, I really have no definitive answer--yes or no--as to whether an Indiana resident may apply for an IL CCL license at this time.
    Stay tuned. I will update as I have solid information.

Top Bottom