• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went to a friend's house today to shoot his Glock 19 gas blowback airsoft pistol at the 3 man targets he has set up in his basement. I've never been interested in airsoft, but these airsoft Glock clones are amazing. They are copied so closely that I mistook his unloaded real Glock 19 for the Airsoft version. They feel and weigh basically the same. A scale could tell a slight difference but I couldn't tell by holding them in my hand. The airsoft magazine weighs about what a loaded 9mm magazine weighs. The balance is basically the same. They are so well copied that a set of real Glock night sights fit on the Airsoft Glock. The Airsoft Glock fits my Glock holsters.

The slide cycles when fired like the real gun. Although the kick is not the same, there is a felt amount of feedback from firing. The slide locks back when it's out of plastic BBs. The trigger on the Airsoft is also very light, but for building muscle memory, practicing drawing, point & shooting, these guns are perfect in my opinion. They even field strip exactly like the real thing. I think the only thing better are the Simunition Glocks that the police use to train with, but most of us can't get those and even if we could, the cost is prohibitive. These replica airsoft guns can be bought for as little as $98 new + shipping & accessories. My friend's is a Gen3 G19. I just bought a Gen4 G19, lightly used for $81.

Nothing beats the real thing, but man, this is so close. My friend built 7 foot tall stands out of PVC pipe, covered them with a black stretchy fabric, put cardboard head & torso targets at the proper height in the center of the stands, around 6 feet tall with paper (foam) plates taped over the heart area. He built 3 of these to represent 3 home invaders and along with a shot-timer app on his iPhone, we practiced doing double taps into the center of the targets. This was not only a lot of fun, it was useful for training purposes. I shaved about half a second off of my time, drawing and shooting 3 separate targets with double taps. When I turned on the laser that was also on the airsoft Glock's rail, I shaved more than a full second off of my times.

I searched the posts for Airsoft and didn't see anything about this (although I didn't spend hours looking at each post), but I wanted to share this as an idea to practice defensive pistol shooting. My home defense & late night go to the store gun is a Glock 23, so the airsoft G19 also works for me, but these airsoft replicas are made in just about every model of real gun there is. All size Glocks, Sigs, Walthers, 1911s, S&W, etc. BTW, these airsoft guns are pretty accurate too. Around 300fps at the muzzle so long range practice is not going to be very good, but they work just fine for self defense ranges. We can't all get to the range or the farm to practice all the time. This cures that problem. Plus it gives us practice in the actual house that you may one day be required to defend. With the wife's permission of course.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Cool. I'm going to have to look into this as compliment to my new EDC G19. Sounds like a nice way to get in some extra practice in the backyard.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    I've always been interested in the airsoft stuff. I think it's a step below Simunitions but a step above having one of those all plastic glocks. I don't think I will get one until I can fire one and get the experience you had. You know, try before you buy. It's only about a 100 but that's still a lot for us poor folks to go head first in.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Might have to check this out. I've never messed with airsoft, I'm assuming that there are compressed air canisters that are needed? I saw some reference to green gas in the reviews that I'd need to check out where I could get it, etc.

I already have 22 conversion kits for the Glocks, but these would be nice for between range trips, depending on the cost of gas, and how far it goes, etc.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I use a Tokyo Marui 1911MEU to practice sight acquisition, holster drawing, etc. It has it's limitations, but I feel it is an effective training tool for what I use it for.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Might have to check this out. I've never messed with airsoft, I'm assuming that there are compressed air canisters that are needed? I saw some reference to green gas in the reviews that I'd need to check out where I could get it, etc.

I already have 22 conversion kits for the Glocks, but these would be nice for between range trips, depending on the cost of gas, and how far it goes, etc.

You fill the magazine with green gas, or propane with silicone added for a lot less money. When you insert the magazine, the gun works. There are no large tanks added to these. When it's loaded and charged with gas, it's identical to your real firearm in size.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I've been trying to get my wife interested in training. I bought her a G-17 instead of having her use one of my Sigs, because I knew that she'd quit about the third time an instructor would remind her to decock her pistol before reholstering. That didn't work.

So, I made her a hot pink holster. That didn't work.

I made matching mag holsters. That didn't work.

I bedecked both with jewels and her initials. That didn't work.

When I was just about to give up, she admitted that her biggest fear is getting yelled at for having her finger on the trigger when she's not pointed in. I tried to assure her that she would quickly figure that out, but she was adamant. "If I had one of those guns that shoots plastic BBs, I could practice first in the shop," she said. *sigh*

I'd been considering driving down to Mindset Lab for some Force-on-Force training someday anyway, so I bought a good G-17 gas blowback with a metal slide. Indeed, it's nearly identical to my (I mean "her") Glock, and fits nicely into the same holsters, as do the mags. I set up targets just like she would be using in training with a cardboard box BB trap, and draped blankets all around, just in case she got wacky on me. After humoring me by sitting through a safety briefing, she proceeded to shoot -- and shoot WELL! She was consistently low, but GREAT groups. The blankets were overkill.

She still hasn't taken any training, but I know that the airsoft Glock did ratchet up her confidence a level or two. I may con her into another session in the shop and then she'll feel ready to train for real. If not, it's still a cheap way to practice presentation, sight alignment, target acquisition, etc. Even the trigger is better than a stock Glock.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I just picked up a WE G-35 for use in my NRA Basic pistol classes. I haven't played with it a lot but it seem accurate enough and does have the feel of a real Glock. Recoil impulse is more like a 22 but I can use it for practice at the end of the class before taking the students to the range. I think it will be a big help. The reviews I read on it said it was durable, time will tell. I"ll mark this thread and update on how well it works out.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just picked up a WE G-35 for use in my NRA Basic pistol classes. I haven't played with it a lot but it seem accurate enough and does have the feel of a real Glock. Recoil impulse is more like a 22 but I can use it for practice at the end of the class before taking the students to the range. I think it will be a big help. The reviews I read on it said it was durable, time will tell. I"ll mark this thread and update on how well it works out.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Great! I'd love to hear from a professional trainer about how useful or not you find the pistol. I've trained a lot of people in a private capacity over the years on how to safely use a gun & operate them & can see these guns being a good tool. Personally I was so impressed with the airsoft Glock that I'm now looking for an airsoft AR15 for the same purposes. .22lr guns are great trainers, but that still requires a drive to family property and weather has to cooperate. This can be training done in the home or garage. I look forward to hearing what you think.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have used them for FOF with my crew and LEO agency's.

Great tool for that purpose.

Get plenty of mags and have extra guns available. They are not nearly as reliable as a real Glock. :)

Clear a building in the dark with a flashlight, throw in some medical drills and comms. You will practice with some adrenalin in your system.

Oh, wear gloves you will get hit the hands. I keep a set with the masks.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have a KJW gas blowback G23. It seems to work pretty well. I have had some issues with magazines leaking gas through the fill valve. I don't know if those are serviceable or replaceable. I ordered through Air Splat and did not have an issue. It was only one order, so not really a great deal of experience.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I hate being wrong..especially when trying to make a point with my wife. A few years ago, I picked up a realistic airsoft the same size and weight as a 17...generally anyhow. We lived on a farm, and my wife likes to shoot, has carried a pistol for years.
    Myself, being the great instructor, and wanting to illustrate how quickly an assailant can be on you, and take your own firearm away, set up a scenario in which I would surprise her when she came out of the house with her "Glock" in her hand to investigate some strange noise. (wearing safety goggles)..
    After a few rounds of this little game..I felt like I had gotten into a nest of yellow jackets! She enjoyed the "training" MUCH more than I did!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Kinda want a good G19 airsoft so I can practice first round shots drawing from AIWB. Long sessions of training drawing from AIWB, I kinda flinch each time I reholster, albeit very careful. An airsoft version would allow me to practice cheaply, but also while doing my careful reholster, help with the jitters a little. lol

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Been a fan of using airsoft for defensive training for over 15 years. The first airsoft I bought was a Glock 18 with the full auto selector switch. Looks and feels like the real thing. Of course on full auto with a standard mag it's empty is less than a second. The great thing about airsoft is that they are easily accessible and low cost compared to sims. Not to mention a lot safer. Now you can find airsoft replicas of most major firearms. If having the ability to use a gun in self-defense is important, nothing beats scenario-based training and airsoft allows anyone to do this at an affordable cost. Obviously they can also be used for unlimited range drills right in the comfort of the shooters home, garage, backyard, etc. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom