• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am looking for a good hands on medical class that will cover gun shot wounds along with other types of trauma that could occur during everyday life. After looking around on the web I have found three places that teach such classes but don't know much about them along with what else is out there. As of now I have seen that Tactical Response, Fortress Defense, and Tactical Defense Institute offer classes but would like to know more. Also, if you have taken any of the medical classes from any of those three companies then I would love to know your opinion of it. Also, if you have any suggestions of other good classes that range in 1-5 days then I would like to hear about them.

Thanks

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Suarez International also has them. No experience with their medical class but I've taken a couple of their other classes and have been very satisfied. PM "cedartop" on here...He is a Suarez instructor.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    971391_554192794657569_1372683707_n.jpg
    Dr John Meade
    Emergency/Tactical Physician

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Thank goodness Meade is an ER doc. That being said it is irresponsible to teach civilians to intubate. That is WAAAAAAY outside the scope of what any civilian should be doing. Best case scenario is a lawsuit and the worse case scenario is some kind of criminal charges.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thank goodness Meade is an ER doc. That being said it is irresponsible to teach civilians to intubate. That is WAAAAAAY outside the scope of what any civilian should be doing. Best case scenario is a lawsuit and the worse case scenario is some kind of criminal charges.

Does he intubate in class? Is that the same as an NPA, because that is all we did in the class I took from him. I assume above photo's are stock footage.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Intubation is passing a tube through the vocal cords down someone's throat. This is in the second picture from the left. This is very invasive with a high chance to cause great physical harm. The NPA airway is totally different.

Either they are teaching irresponsible practices or they are misrepresenting what they are really teaching.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Defense Training International (John Farnam) has a 1-day class taught by Dr. Anthony Barrera, who was an emergency medicine doctor if I remember right. He used to bring that class to Lebanon, not sure if he still does though.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Intubation is passing a tube through the vocal cords down someone's throat. This is in the second picture from the left. This is very invasive with a high chance to cause great physical harm. The NPA airway is totally different.

Either they are teaching irresponsible practices or they are misrepresenting what they are really teaching.

I think you are looking too much into it though. Airway management can be as simple as a jaw thrust, or as complex as an emergency cric and tube insertion.

500 bucks is a steep price for me to learn a couple new skills though, for me personally. Any time I've ever asked for a syllabus, I've been told they can't provide info before I show up for class sadly.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I likely am. If I was someone showing up to this class I'd be upset if I didn't learn some of the skills pictured (IVs and controlling bleeding).

If someone can swing the time commitment I'd suggest taking an EMT course.

I think you are looking too much into it though. Airway management can be as simple as a jaw thrust, or as complex as an emergency cric and tube insertion.

500 bucks is a steep price for me to learn a couple new skills though, for me personally. Any time I've ever asked for a syllabus, I've been told they can't provide info before I show up for class sadly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

So ... non-military physicians, nurses, PAs, and paramedics should not be taught to intubate?

Do you by any chance mean "layman" or "non-medical professional"?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Defense Training International (John Farnam) has a 1-day class taught by Dr. Anthony Barrera, who was an emergency medicine doctor if I remember right. He used to bring that class to Lebanon, not sure if he still does though.

Doc Gunn comes to Boone County each Summer. Fortress Defense does a similar class several times per year.

ACT does medical classes as well.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will say this. I have done some pretty cool trauma training, specific to gunshot wounds, traumatic amputation, large burns, fluids, airway management to include needle deco etc etc. I still get tuned up on these from time to time. And its all cool guy stuff, granted.

However, one of the best classes I ever took for medical stuff, is a SOLO wilderness first aid course. Its a 2 day class, typically under $300 for the weekend, including lodging. It is some classroom, but with lots of OUTDOORs hands on practicals. Its a great class for rendering care to a pt in remote and austere environments, when you are days away from bright lighst and cold steel. SOLID instruction on scene management. The material and tests on clearing a C spine was worth it alone, and something I have used since.

Its a great base for further learning. It teaches you HOW to think, react, prioritize and LEAD in a medical emergency.

Russ

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    So are there other trauma med classes coming up?

PS. Wilderness First Aid is good, but Wilderness First Responder takes you even further! It also takes longer, too.

bushidomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Can't say enough good about Dr. Meade, he is a top notch instructor!

Here is the class description from "care under fire":

About This Course:

You can win the fight but still not survive it. This course is designed to help you do both. You will learn the basics of first response to gunshot wounds and other traumatic injuries in the context of the gunfight. Class incorporates FOF and live-fire drills that will reinforce the skills presented. Don’t be confused into thinking this is a typical first aid or EMT class. You will not only learn what to do if you or someone you are with is seriously injured, but where, why, and how to attack an opponent to inflict the desired trauma. You will learn how the concept of “airway, breathing, circulation” can and will have devastating results if applied to a combat injury. You will fully understand why pinpoint accuracy with a handgun may not stop an aggressor. We guarantee you have never seen a course like this before.

Tops Covered:

Assessment and Treatment of Trauma Patients - Learn how to apply the concepts of TC3 in the individual, reactive setting. How do you respond to an attack? What medical care do you provide, and when do you do it?

Hemorrhage Control – Do you know when to apply a tourniquet? Do you know the best ones on the market? How to improvise one?

Airway Management - How do you ensure an open airway on an injured person? How is the standard "ABC" wrong for trauma? What is an NPA?

Force on Force - Practice all you learn in the cauldron of simulated gunfights (Force on Force). Discover that what works on a "square range" is not realistic in reality. Live Fire drills to fully ingrain the skills.

Top Bottom