Almost Southern IN
    Who, When, Where
    Training Provider: sv40sw45l
    Course: Training with a GM
    Date: 02/22/14
    Duration: 4 Hours
    Instructor: Max Bedwell, View Profile: View Profile: sv40sw45 - INGunOwners
    Students: 1
    Students from the Board: Slawburger, View Profile: View Profile: Slawburger - INGunOwners

Related Threads

1. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/330327-hand-gun-traing-grand-master.html

Overview
    This is a one-on-one training session with a USPSA Grand Master and can be tailored to meet your goals and needs.

Do you want to improve this year? Maybe move up a class or two.
    Do you want to shave time off your courses of fire?
    Do you want to get better hits on your courses of fire?
    Do you want to learn how to call your shots?
    Do you want to shoot faster and on the move?

Facilities
    The training was conducted at the South Central Gun Club ( South Central Gun Club - Home) in Freetown Indiana. Freetown is in Jackson County southeast of Brown County State Park, west of Seymour and north of Brownstown. The address is 4427 N State Rd 135, Freetown, IN 47235. The sign in front indicates it is a gun club but with a different name. There is only one gun club in the immediate area so don’t let the sign fool you. There is a clubhouse on the property but this was strictly a range session. The club operates a cold range. There were good berms around the bays, a safe area across from the bays and a nearby porta-potty.

Details
    I signed the typical release form/acknowledgement of club rules and Max showed me a written list of the things we would cover. We started in a bay with six standing IPSC targets and two shooter’s boxes. We did speed drills shooting two shots at each target from one box. We then incorporated movement by standing in the left box, shooting two shots at each of the left three targets, moving to the right box, and shooting two shots at each of the right three targets. We reversed the process by starting in the right box and moving to the left. We did a few drills with reloads and some holster work. We shot strong hand only, weak hand only and worked on transitioning from strong hand to weak hand. Along the way we discussed use of the safety area, the 180 rule, range commands, scoring in Minor versus Major Power Factor, Comstock versus Virginia scoring, calling your shots, how to move out of and into a box, deciding whether to start from the left or the right, split times, draw times, dry fire practice incorporating draws from the holster, being on deck and standby, pasting between rounds, stage descriptions and breaking down the stage.

We then moved to another bay that was staged like a USPSA course of fire. This was the really fun part. There were multiple IPSC targets, hostage targets, rear-fall steel poppers, barriers to shoot around and windows to shoot through. We discussed fault lines, number of magazines to carry, starting position, stage setup and did a walk-through. I moved into starting position with my heels on the mark, waited for the buzzer and moved through the course of fire. Afterward we walked around the course and scored it as if it had been an actual USPSA shoot. Max used his timer to show me my draw time, splits, movement times, reload times and overall course time. We ran through the course a couple of times with Max providing feedback on what I did well and what I did wrong. We compared my scores and times on different iterations and I was able to see where taking five seconds longer actually resulted in a better overall score because I had better hits that compensated for the longer time. We then reversed the course and it was interesting that shots which were easy going one direction were harder going the other direction and vice versa. The steel poppers were interesting and we discussed the best way to handle them.

Conclusions and Takeaways
    This was a great way to focus on my goals and give me a taste of how an actual USPSA match will look and feel. Total round count was around 450. We probably covered a lot more that I failed to mention in this write-up but my head is still spinning a little from everything I learned yesterday. Max was very down to earth, friendly and was able to explain concepts well. I still need a lot of practice but I think that I am ready to shoot my first USPSA match now. If I can work out a time I would like to do this course again later after some practice to work on addiitonal improvements. I would highly recommend one-on-one training with this instructor.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Do you think the class will hinder any "tactical" type of training? Why or why not? After shooting this do you think any USPSA will help or hinder any other type of training?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Do you think the class will hinder any "tactical" type of training? Why or why not? After shooting this do you think any USPSA will help or hinder any other type of training?

I am waay too old to be "tactical" at anything. :)

However, learning how to draw faster, consider target engagement order, move and shoot, fire multiple rounds at a target, call your shot, reload quickly, fire at different distances, shoot around barriers or through windows and get good hits on the target while not touching the "do not shoots" would seem beneficial to any kind of handgun shooting. I don't see how it could hurt but I could certainly see it helping. Of course, the targets aren't shooting back at me. Well... there was one steel popper that shot a defiant look at me.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

draw stroke, driving the gun with your vision, calling shots, trigger control, speed reloads, getting hits fast all have tactical and real world applications.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I specifically ask because I continue to hear, "competitive shooting will get you killed." The OP went to a home defense class, does it go against that? All of the classes I have taken have direct application in the competition world. Every match I've shot has made me a better shooter which increases my ability to survive a gunfight.

In the interest of full disclosure I compete and "train."

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I specifically ask because I continue to hear, "competitive shooting will get you killed." The OP went to a home defense class, does it go against that? All of the classes I have taken have direct application in the competition world. Every match I've shot has made me a better shooter which increases my ability to survive a gunfight.

In the interest of full disclosure I compete and "train."

The people that say that use it as an excuse because they would/do suck at competion. They can slice the pie and wear cool 5.11 gear but afraid they might look bad in a comp.

I mean the argument is that a competitive guy that trains, dry fires, demonstrates good gun handling skill and shooting ability is at a disadvantage because he plays a shooting game? Really?

I'd like to know what training the "gangsta" is doing if he's got an advantage on a USPSA guy! He could make some serious money writing a book.

PS Max is a good instructor, I've got a lesson scheduled in a couple weeks and have trained with Max before.

Top Bottom