Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Grandmaster Thor's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernGunner View Post
    Good ideas presented in the video. Not sure how applicable they are to 'real life scenarios'. But EVERY idea is 'another tool in the toolbox'. The more ya have, the more options available to the defender.

    First thought - WHY is the defender allowing the attacker to tie them up and put them in a car (trunk or interior) in the first place? Is the plan to 'buy time' and 'make your move' later? That works great... in the movies. As noted in the clip, there's nothing 'good' for the defender from being taken to a secondary location. Being bound and taken as a hostage only benefits the attacker, except in rare instances.

    Psychology - The attacker just held a gun to your head or knife to your throat, maybe smacked ya around a bit, and threw ya into the trunk or back seat. Do you REALLY want to take their 'promise' that they're going to 'just let you go' later? WHERE do you think they're taking you, to the shopping mall?

    HOW do you think scumbag psychos like Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway were able to gain advantage over their victims to begin with? Neither of those (and others) are huge brutes. They need an advantage over the victim that doesn't require brute strength. Don't give it to them. One commonality in many such attacks and murders is that the victim willingly climbed into the vehicle with the attacker, for some unknown reason. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned in that.

    The 'fight' begins when the attacker surprises the defender, holding a gun or knife on the potential victim. That's when the defenders 'defensive tactics' should begin. Don't relinquish control, 'hoping' to regain it 'later'. Take control.
    ^^^This^^^

    I am always amazed at the propensity of folks to just do what they are told as they are walked down the road to a bad end. It is replayed throughout history, people kneeling in front of their own grave that they just dug with a gun to their head quietly waiting to die.

    If they hand you a shovel kill them with it.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

  2. #22
    I still care....Really
    churchmouse's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 88GT View Post
    Good stuff, but....how many people can actually climb through their arms when the arms are tied behind the back?
    Not tried that in years but used to be able to.

  3. #23
    Master iChokePeople's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernGunner View Post
    Good ideas presented in the video. Not sure how applicable they are to 'real life scenarios'. But EVERY idea is 'another tool in the toolbox'. The more ya have, the more options available to the defender.

    First thought - WHY is the defender allowing the attacker to tie them up and put them in a car (trunk or interior) in the first place? Is the plan to 'buy time' and 'make your move' later? That works great... in the movies. As noted in the clip, there's nothing 'good' for the defender from being taken to a secondary location. Being bound and taken as a hostage only benefits the attacker, except in rare instances.

    Psychology - The attacker just held a gun to your head or knife to your throat, maybe smacked ya around a bit, and threw ya into the trunk or back seat. Do you REALLY want to take their 'promise' that they're going to 'just let you go' later? WHERE do you think they're taking you, to the shopping mall?

    HOW do you think scumbag psychos like Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway were able to gain advantage over their victims to begin with? Neither of those (and others) are huge brutes. They need an advantage over the victim that doesn't require brute strength. Don't give it to them. One commonality in many such attacks and murders is that the victim willingly climbed into the vehicle with the attacker, for some unknown reason. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned in that.

    The 'fight' begins when the attacker surprises the defender, holding a gun or knife on the potential victim. That's when the defenders 'defensive tactics' should begin. Don't relinquish control, 'hoping' to regain it 'later'. Take control.
    Agreed, and I think that's one of the points that we just can't hear enough. Make sure the people you care about understand all of this.

    Unfortunately, though, it's still possible to find yourself in that kind of situation. You might wake up tied up, thinking, 'yes, that DID smell a lot like chloroform...' You could be drugged, you could be hit from behind (knockout game, etc), you could be overpowered, all kinds of things. So as important as I think it is for all of us to understand the importance of SA and the reality of the whole "come with me", "get in the car", "drive that way", and the like, I also think it's prudent to explore what kinds of options you might have if you DO find yourself in one of those predicaments.

    I'm a huge believer in focusing my training on what I see as the most likely bad days in *my* life. I won't be signing up for any contractor-type high speed, low drag, HALOninja super-advanced carbine courses, but I think in the USA in 2014, scenarios like this deserve some of my time.

  4. #24
    Grandmaster Indy_Guy_77's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by iChokePeople View Post
    I think I could teach someone a rear naked choke, or the car version there, to the point that they could use it successfully against an untrained opponent in... An hour, unless the student is really challenged. I think maybe I'll try to put together a free workshop/training group thing for a few interested parties where we can explore some of this car stuff in a little more depth.
    Practical applications aside... This really sounds like a fun way to pass the time.

    Just as long as I don't go unconscious. Or if I get a nice dinner if I do.

  5. #25
    Master iChokePeople's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Guy_77 View Post
    Practical applications aside... This really sounds like a fun way to pass the time.

    Just as long as I don't go unconscious. Or if I get a nice dinner if I do.
    If you woke up in the back seat of a car with your pants around your ankles would you tell anyone?

    Normally, when you fall asleep you only get a nice mustache or a clever phrase on your forehead. We can work out dinner, but there's going to have to be a little something extra in it for Jackson.

  6. #26
    Grandmaster Indy_Guy_77's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by iChokePeople View Post
    If you woke up in the back seat of a car with your pants around your ankles would you tell anyone?

    Normally, when you fall asleep you only get a nice mustache or a clever phrase on your forehead. We can work out dinner, but there's going to have to be a little something extra in it for Jackson.
    You sure do know how to sweet talk a feller...

  7. #27
    Master Jackson's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by iChokePeople View Post
    If you woke up in the back seat of a car with your pants around your ankles would you tell anyone?

    Normally, when you fall asleep you only get a nice mustache or a clever phrase on your forehead. We can work out dinner, but there's going to have to be a little something extra in it for Jackson.

    In addition to the something extra, I retain all rights to video footage and any income and royalties made from its sale or distribution.


  8. #28
    Master iChokePeople's Avatar

    User Info Menu


  9. #29
    Grandmaster

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by iChokePeople View Post
    Note to self:
    Avoid rap battles.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

  10. #30
    Grandmaster chezuki's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Note to self:
    Avoid rap battles.
    B-Dub Frizzle in da hizzy!
    If youíre free youíll never see the walls.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Mooresville #78 F. & A. M.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge