• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have mentioned this drill before as a good test for a new gun, or for your carry proficiency. I always encourage people to shoot some kind of test before choosing to carry a gun to see where they are at and to see if the gun is up to the task. This could be a quick and easy test for that, though I would actually prefer something like the ATF or FBI quals. The idea being if you and your chosen gun combo can't pass the test, you need to pick a gun better suited for shooting as opposed to carrying, or do a lot of practice. Mostly I posted this because I like seeing lists of known shooters and how they performed on similar tests. Also there is some cool video involved. Wilson Combat | 5x5 Handgun Skill Test

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have mentioned this drill before as a good test for a new gun, or for your carry proficiency. I always encourage people to shoot some kind of test before choosing to carry a gun to see where they are at and to see if the gun is up to the task. This could be a quick and easy test for that, though I would actually prefer something like the ATF or FBI quals. The idea being if you and your chosen gun combo can't pass the test, you need to pick a gun better suited for shooting as opposed to carrying, or do a lot of practice. Mostly I posted this because I like seeing lists of known shooters and how they performed on similar tests. Also there is some cool video involved. Wilson Combat | 5x5 Handgun Skill Test

This looks very interesting.... I am going to try this .....

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    This’ll is an older thread. But I gotta say this drill is great!

1) it showed me I’m more proficient with a 1911

2) really made me realize the capacity issues of the 1911, since it takes 10 rounds....

although now I really don’t know what to carry, 9mm with higher capacity or 1911 for the best 5x5 test and proficiency....

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Up to you. Why not shoot a high cap 1911 9mm? Also there's nothing magical about 10 rds vs 9 or 11. Don't feel outgunned because you need to reload. Reload is part of the drill for a reason.

Work on reloading proficiency and mag cap is irrelevant.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I drilled the next level down past the 5x5 test, and was reading the stage description for the IDPA style stage they call the "CHP" drill.

Since I don't shoot IDPA, can someone please decipher this particular portion of the stage description regarding scoring:

"...3 standard IDPA targets scored raw time +1 second per point down. Targets are scored +0, +1, +3 for body shots, head -0, -1, complete miss +3 seconds..."

I understand everything, except the bold part concerning the head shots. What constitutes a "1-" on a head shot? I get that hitting it would constitute zero-down, and a miss is +3 seconds, but the -1 is getting me.

Does the IDPA target have an "inner" perf'ed zone inside the head, similar to a USPSA target?

Thanks...

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I drilled the next level down past the 5x5 test, and was reading the stage description for the IDPA style stage they call the "CHP" drill.

Since I don't shoot IDPA, can someone please decipher this particular portion of the stage description regarding scoring:

"...3 standard IDPA targets scored raw time +1 second per point down. Targets are scored +0, +1, +3 for body shots, head -0, -1, complete miss +3 seconds..."

I understand everything, except the bold part concerning the head shots. What constitutes a "1-" on a head shot? I get that hitting it would constitute zero-down, and a miss is +3 seconds, but the -1 is getting me.

Does the IDPA target have an "inner" perf'ed zone inside the head, similar to a USPSA target?

Thanks...

yep. A few years back they changed the head scoring zone on the target to be a smaller circle inside the square head. In the circle is -0, outside the circle -1, outside the square -5. Hope this helps.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom