• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm overweight - so hitting me from a distance is easier than hitting a 150lb version of myself. I've yo-yo'd a few times to drop 50lbs or more only to gain it back. Being in shape has a tactical advantage! While I clearly have the right caliber, and I only CC, my chances of losing a gun battle are still higher because of my size and stamina. It's time to make the change! I'm gonna make another run at losing weight and keeping it off!

So, Who wants to join me?

Ive been successful using weight watchers, it works for me. I can eat what I want and limit portion control to lose an average of 2-4lbs a week. The meetings are informative and provide the accountability to make it work.

I also, like to go to the gun range, so I thought about combining the two. This idea just hit me. What if we got a shooting group together to meet weekly at a range to weigh in, and then go shoot? Weight watchers collects a fee for their services, but I could construct a fee schedule based on performance and reward solid performers with ammunition or other gun related prizes? Maybe we can even use the scoring from the targets to reward sharp shooters. I'd be willing to secure sponsorships if there was a value back to the Sponsor, based on the size and demographics of our group.

The main focus would be:

1. Lose Weight
    2. Participate in a shooting league
    3. Have fun with like minded folks

I'm looking to host this on the north side of Indy (Carmel area) - depending on what range I can secure based on interest.

Are you interested?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds like a great idea. I won't be participating as I can't really afford to lose any weight, but I wish you the best of luck. Also, depending on how things come together for your plan, I would be happy to donate one of our classes as a prize.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Mainly the difference here is, show up, weigh in, go shoot. (As a group)

whatever you do during the week is on you.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I am so IN! I need to lose weight. I need to shoot. If you have a way of combining those..I'm all over that. Are you thinking handgun or long gun? Point Blank in Carmel might be a good option to meet at. I usually go there once a week to shoot on ladies night (Tuesday)

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I am so IN! I need to lose weight. I need to shoot. If you have a way of combining those..I'm all over that. Are you thinking handgun or long gun? Point Blank in Carmel might be a good option to meet at. I usually go there once a week to shoot on ladies night (Tuesday)

that was my thought! I haven't approached them yet, but if we get enough interest I'll propose it. I go there often as well.

Must weigh in to shoot :)

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    They've told me they don't care if instructor's rent lanes to shoot with students, they just don't want nonemployees renting the training room...insurance reasons.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    My membership says I can use the training room... Regardless, the training room is for non-firearms related weigh ins.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont need to participate as Im only out of shape but not overweight, but I have a suggestion.

You mentioned prizes. So you dont end up out of pocket, collect a couple bucks from each member at each weigh-in. Use that to fund the prizes. Otherwise I could see it getting expensive for you. Treat it like a fantasy football pool. Everyone contributes, those that perform the best collect.

Good luck!

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I dont need to participate as Im only out of shape but not overweight, but I have a suggestion.

You mentioned prizes. So you dont end up out of pocket, collect a couple bucks from each member at each weigh-in. Use that to fund the prizes. Otherwise I could see it getting expensive for you. Treat it like a fantasy football pool. Everyone contributes, those that perform the best collect.

Good luck!

exactly, or get a group large and diverse enough where a sponsor fronts the money in exchange for unique exposure.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sponsors are good, but dont discount "skin in the game". Thats an important motivator. And Im not talking big money either... a buck or two each weigh-in could be enough to drive a decent prize like a box of ammo, range time, etc.

And I specifically remember seeing a weight loss app that you give access to your bank account, and if you dont hit your targets, it donates a predetermined amount to the political party or charity of your choice... the kicker? Its a recipient that is NOT who you want to suppport. So you could set it to send $100 to the Brady Foundation or Moms Demand Attention if you fail. If that isnt motivation, I dont know what is. :):

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    For all of you people wanting to lose weight. JCPenny makes bigger pants and they deliver.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Im looking for an excuse to shoot more, and if I tie it to weight loss my wife approves ;)

I need to lose weight to be healthier and stronger and if I can tie in shooting...all the better. I'd love to get to shoot more. So how do we organize this?

Top Bottom