• ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    BJJ: To the fat person googling jiu jitsu ? Jiu Jiu's BJJ Blog
    I ran across this blog post and it made me think of a time chezuki posted here about whether he was too out of shape to do BJJ. So I'm posting this for him.

I'm posting it for everyone else that makes excuses too. I'll get some training when I have time. I'll start working out when I start this new job. I'll learn self defense when I lose weight. I'm too old to do this, too young to do that, and too fat to do the other thing.

You're not. Just get out there and try it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am 100% too fat and crippled to do BJJ. I'm almost too fat and crippled to think about it or post this message.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Here you go, no reason for anybody to be embarrassed. This is what a 40 year fat, bald guy and 11 year kid looks like in all of our awkward glory. These pictures are only a couple of weeks old.

FullSizeRender_zpsjyqf6xgu.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsrwbqcvvr.jpg

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Here you go, no reason for anybody to be embarrassed. This is what a 40 year fat, bald guy and 11 year kid looks like in all of our awkward glory. These pictures are only a couple of weeks old.

FullSizeRender_zpsjyqf6xgu.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsrwbqcvvr.jpg

A black belt and a red and black belt. Very fancy. How long have you been at it? Have you gotten less fat, or at least better conditioning since you started?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's impressive Vert! Good for you and the boy!

As for Jackson, he's always a good kick in the butt. ;) I'm gonna go attempt some push ups. :rolleyes:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A black belt and a red and black belt. Very fancy. How long have you been at it? Have you gotten less fat, or at least better conditioning since you started?

The boy has been in TaeKwonDo for about 6 years. I have been at it for about 2.5. Actually I have been gaining weight. About 20 lbs since September. Along with lose of energy. But that is a separate issue from exercise and diet. Doctor is still trying to figure out what is going on. My blood and ticker is fine, probably something as simple as not enough sleep.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Great thread! My husband and I recently joined a gym to get the extra weight off. Is it intimidating to go? Yep. Do I look forward to it now? Yep.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We were all beginners at one point. A good gym will embrace you and welcome the fact that you are there. Unhealthy people coming to the gym should not be made fun of, hell, they should congratulated for doing the hard thing. I despise a trainer/coach with an ego.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ok, I've been waiting to really post in this thread until I could say "I did" instead of "I'm going to".

I ran across the blog Jackson posted a while back and actually have it bookmarked to re-read whenever I start saying "maybe I'll do this after".

We've had some legitimate life improvements occupying all of our free time for the last few months (we bought an old house and did the renovations to get it move-in ready ourselves.) We are now moved and settled in for the most part.

Tonight we went to our first BJJ class! We actually just got home. I'm still a bit overwhelmed, jelly-legged, and hopped up on adrenaline, but it was pretty awesome. I broke a sweat before we even finished stretches, but I managed to finish the warm up and at least attempt every aspect of the class. I'm sure I looked like a beached whale at times and an upside down tortoise at others, but everyone was very positive and supportive. I can't wait for the next class!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ok, I've been waiting to really post in this thread until I could say "I did" instead of "I'm going to".

I ran across the blog Jackson posted a while back and actually have it bookmarked to re-read whenever I start saying "maybe I'll do this after".

We've had some legitimate life improvements occupying all of our free time for the last few months (we bought an old house and did the renovations to get it move-in ready ourselves.) We are now moved and settled in for the most part.

Tonight we went to our first BJJ class! We actually just got home. I'm still a bit overwhelmed, jelly-legged, and hopped up on adrenaline, but it was pretty awesome. I broke a sweat before we even finished stretches, but I managed to finish the warm up and at least attempt every aspect of the class. I'm sure I looked like a beached whale at times and an upside down tortoise at others, but everyone was very positive and supportive. I can't wait for the next class!

Congratulations! That is awesome for you. Looking forward to hearing about pain and reward.

Top Bottom