• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I've taken some classes with JR. Honestly, it's not bad training but I've had mixed feelings about some of it.

I took an Intro to Defensive Pistol and Low Light Shooting class (2 separate classes on same day) that he offered up to members of The Well Armed Woman. The Intro class was indeed an intro level class. He did a great job going over safety/grip/stance/etc in the classroom. Went to the range and he and his staff kept everyone safe and had people drawing from holsters and shooting who had never shot a gun before. Then we took a break and came back a few hours later for the low light class. Again we had classroom time going over safety and options for flashlights/lasers/gun mounted lights and practiced some flashlight techniques in the dark building before going to the range. Again, he and his staff kept everyone safe. No complaints.

Went back to retake the intro class with a friend. Less classroom time that time and he had an associate instructor go over grip and stance. She kept pointing the (unloaded) gun at us until JR put a training barrel in it. She also asked him why we "stand that way" referring to the stance she was teaching us. BUT they again kept us safe on the firing line. I did get to point out to this same associate instructor another student's grip that was going to get her hurt. They ran out of time with this class and didn't cover everything we had covered in the previous class I took from them, probably due to them adding drills into the curriculum but not increasing the length of the class.

My husband and I drove up to Muncie to take a Glock Armorer class from them. Not a real Glock class so no certificate. But I took a Glock apart into a bunch of pieces and put it back together after polishing the trigger bar up. I don't think I could remember how to take it apart now for the life of me. I credit that more to me then him.

The last class I took was an Intro to Emergency Medicine class up near Muncie. This one I probably would have been better off skipping. A friend and I both paid to take it and had a tough time finding the location of the class. It ended up being in someone's living room (which we didn't know about until we got there) because it was too windy to have it outside. JR did go over different items to have in a trauma kit and how to evaluate someone while the EMT's are on their way. It got awkward at the end of the class when it became obvious that my friend and I were the only 2 people there who were not part of the CCRT that JR runs. The other people there (I believe) got the class for free and viewed it as a meet and greet to get to know each other while my friend and I crashed their party. Unfortunately I don't know that I actually retained anything that I learned in that class either.

Overall, if it's a shooting class, I'd strongly consider taking it. I have NO complaints about what's taught in the shooting classes I've taken. The other classes....hopefully your experiences would be better then mine.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No personal experience. I know a couple of former students who really like it there, I also know a couple of instructors who say they would never deal with them again. :dunno:
    We should probably send Jackson.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    No personal experience. I know a couple of former students who really like it there, I also know a couple of instructors who say they would never deal with them again. :dunno:
    We should probably send Jackson.

MALC has a policy that if you attend a class once you can retake that same class whenever you want for free so pick carefully. You might be doing him a favor

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    MALC has a policy that if you attend a class once you can retake that same class whenever you want for free so pick carefully. You might be doing him a favor

If you attend enough classes with ACT, and throw a few special favors to the rhino, you can get a similar deal with them.

Really though, I like that concept, but with as many repeats as these small trainers get, it may not be a great business model unless they are creating new classes every couple years.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Really though, I like that concept, but with as many repeats as these small trainers get, it may not be a great business model unless they are creating new classes every couple years.

Which could be why MALC schedules the variety that they do

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I took their Glock armorer class. I was happy with it. Learned a lot, including a few bits that readily weren't run into on Google/YouTube.

I also am staying tuned in for updates on the firearms handling classes. I'm kind of picky about my gun classes now days. A lot of folks out there think pointing guns at each other is OK...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom