• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Simunition training is incredible valuable, but precautions MUST be in place. Triple checking of equipment by the user, and at least two others. No live ammunition in the training area. Specific colored Sim guns. It is *not* time for complacency or amateur hour...or this sort of tragedy occurs.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Well, if the article was at all accurate, the police dept. will definitely be paying out a settlement. Unsure if a prosecutor would pick it up and file any criminal charges.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Simunition training is incredible valuable, but precautions MUST be in place. Triple checking of equipment by the user, and at least two others. No live ammunition in the training area. Specific colored Sim guns. It is *not* time for complacency or amateur hour...or this sort of tragedy occurs.

I can't wait to go do this with strangers.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    This is an example of why the word "accident" exists. Of course the word "negligence" also fits but I'm thinking it has more than one owner in this case.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Level of incompetence is ridiculous. I hope the family gets everything they want. The police officer should be held accountable for his actions to the fullest extent possible. He did not mean too, but he murdered that woman. There is no purple in this post.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Level of incompetence is ridiculous. I hope the family gets everything they want. The police officer should be held accountable for his actions to the fullest extent possible. He did not mean too, but he murdered that woman. There is no purple in this post.
    Murder? I don't know about that.

I think one also has to look at what BehindBlueI's said. If you set up a procedure that depends on one individual "not forgetting" something, that's a bad procedure. You need redundancy, proactive checking, etc.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    BTW, in the off chance that anyone cares, this is why we don't point guns are people that don't need to be shot. Because all guns are always loaded.

Sims, UTM, and AirSoft replicas and scenario Force on Force is the (relatively) new hotness in the training world. Some would say it provides many training benefits that can't be had on the "square range", but definitely involves pointing guns, or gun shaped objects at people. Would you say this kind of training is a bad idea? Too dangerous to be of use?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sims, UTM, and AirSoft replicas and scenario Force on Force is the (relatively) new hotness in the training world. Some would say it provides many training benefits that can't be had on the "square range", but definitely involves pointing guns, or gun shaped objects at people. Would you say this kind of training is a bad idea? Too dangerous to be of use?

I will say this is one of the reasons that keeps me from taking such training. Probably the major one.

On another note. Would the range release signed by students cover such an accident?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This doesn't happen in a safe training environment. With all due respect to LEO's, just because it falls under the LEO banner does not mean they know how to have a safe training environment.

It is more than just the officer that killed the lady at fault here. He and his equipment should have been checked and double checked down to the skin before he was even allowed in the training area.

All INGOers should follow up on this in detail. A lot of us train in many training environments, including FOF. We need to be able to see and know that the environment is safe to train in or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I will say this is one of the reasons that keeps me from taking such training. Probably the major one.

Which is a shame, but completely understandable. There is no training that replaces realistic Simunition training, from stress inoculation to tactics evaluation. However, you've got to REALLY trust the guys running the show know what they are doing. Done correctly, it's tough to overstate how well it can prepare you for the real event. Done incorrectly, you can kill someone. It is absolute serious feces, not play time.

Top Bottom