AAR Infinity Solutions / Shotgun 1 (September 11, 2016)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    AAR for Infinity Solutions / Shotgun 1
    September 11, 2016

CLASS DESCRIPTION (condensed from their FB discussion)

This course will teach the fundamentals of handling a shotgun while putting the shooter in circumstances to find out if their gun/gear/etc. will work for them. We will be patterning everyone's shotgun. A major goal of this class will be to increase everyone's effectiveness with their own shotgun.
    We will also be doing a demonstration of various types of "exotic" shotgun ammunition. This is a one day (8 hour) course.

GEAR REQUIREMENTS (as listed in the online course description)

• Eye protection
    • Hearing protection (electronic recommended not required)
    • Fighting shotgun in good working order
    • 300 rounds of birdshot
    • 20 rounds of buckshot
    • 20 slugs
    • Sling
    • Defensive pistol
    • 150 rounds pistol ammunition
    • 2 pistol magazines minimum (3 recommended)
    • Quality pistol holster (pistol must be secure within holster and holster must be secure on belt)
    • Pistol magazine pouches 2 or 3

ANCILLARY

• Lunch (lunch will be consumed on site so bring food, snacks, and drinks)
    • Bug repellent
    • Sun block
    • Chair
    • Water
    • Hat
    • Appropriate clothing and footwear (NO OPEN TOE SHOES)

Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    2111 E. 350 N. Rochester, Indiana 46975

COST

$100 per student

CANCELLATION POLICY

A student has up to 8 days before a class to reschedule to take the same class. A voucher will be given to attend the same class at a later date. If a student cancels within 7 days of class start no refund or voucher will be given.

OVERVIEW OF TRAINING

I would recommend that you gear up prior to showing up for this class. Check everything for fit, function and practicality. I am not saying you need to scale walls, rappel, breach walls, or dive in and out of vehicles. Just make sure there is nothing obviously broken or out of place. The class will test your gear at a basic level. Check your firearm and make sure all the nuts, bolts, mounts, etc. are tight. Make sure you complete a function check. Nothing slows learning like a loose sling or hand guards/stocks that keep falling off.

Class began at 0800 (Central). Being a Northwest Indiana (NWI) based company, they list all their class start times as Central Time so keep this in mind when signing up for a class. Early arrival will afford you the opportunity to make any final adjustments to your gear. The first half hour consisted of the requisite paperwork (liability waivers for the range and course, sign-in, etc) as well as introductions and review of basic firearm safety. Safety brief consisted of discussion and demonstration.

This class fulfilled the stated goals of teaching the fundamentals of shotgun operation from a tactical perspective while testing the shooter and gear. Do not let the Level 1 designation confuse you into thinking this is an introductory course for the novice shooter. Once the class got underway, it was apparent that attendees were expected to already understand the very basics of operating their firearm as well as some rudimentary understanding of safety. Having said that, I believe I heard one student ask, “How do I load this?” at the onset of the first evolution. I think it turned out that particular student had run a shotgun (double-barreled) before … just not the particular gun (pump action) he was holding. That is just my assessment of what I heard. Instructors (or his buddy) got him up to speed quickly and it turned out to be a non-issue the rest of the day. I believe there was at least one other student that was new to shotguns (not firearms). He did quite well and actually bested everyone later in the day when it came to the walk-back, single shot elimination shoot off.

Early evolutions were dry and meant to get the class on the same page as far as gun handling during the live fire evolutions and while moving about. Specifics such as turning, pivoting, shouldering and sling adjustments were covered. Baseline terminology that would be in use throughout the day was introduced. Salient points of safe firearm handling were driven home during this early portion of instruction. This part of instruction was done in a two line format with instructors in-board doing the lecture and demonstrations. Students would then pivot out-board (facing side berms) to practice any particular evolution.

Initial live fire evolutions were to establish patterns for both birdshot and buckshot. After initial patterning, the training day progressed rapidly with each block of instruction building on the previous blocks. Being a Level 1 class, there was a heavy emphasis on loading and weapon manipulations early before progressing to live fire pivots. Movement and cover evolutions were introduced in the latter half of the day. With the class progressing very well, we were able to hit some transition drills at the end of the day.

PROS / CONS

• No doubt about it, the instructors know their stuff. They practice and refine what they teach and it shows. I haven’t asked up front but I believe they have invested a lot of money in attending classes and exposing themselves to different training methodologies. The lead instructors work well with each other and they are able to relate their knowledge to the students. You will not get any “airs” from them and they do not claim any special skills or experience. They will not insult any student that questions or challenges any information. On the contrary, they welcome questions on technique and they will take the time to explain the “why” behind any particular technique.

• Some people measure the value of a class by the round count. This isn’t one of those classes. Even though the round count seemed low compared to what we were asked to bring, I felt that there was great value to every round fired. I did not feel cheated.

• Class size dictated the class operate on a two-relay system. This worked well for this class by allowing students the opportunity to replenish ammo and also observe other students during live fire evolutions. Relays were divided evenly between experienced shooters and novice shooters.

• Live fire evolutions were run at a high tempo with the RO calling out “contact” at a rapid pace. If I started to focus on the pace and tried to keep up, I quickly became overcome and all my fingers turned into thumbs. The rapid pace is intentional and meant to provide just enough pressure to force students to concentrate on the fundamentals … proper reloading and weapon presentation. Even though the pace is called rapidly, the emphasis is always to focus on executing the basics.

• Good place to run your gear and see what works … or not. Even though instructors have a good grasp of what works and what doesn’t, they will not challenge a student’s gear selection outright (unless it is a safety issue). Instead, they will allow students to run their set-up and during breaks or end of class they will ask what they thought of their gear selection. This acknowledges the fact that most students are married to their gear before they show up for class. They need to experience their gear for themselves before they can make an honest assessment … or accept criticism.

• Value. Any way you look at it, this course is worth the $100 registration fee. Similar courses I have seen listed and attended cost 2-2.5 times more. I know instructors for those courses have “paid their dues” and built a reputation. I’m not an industry insider or marketing expert but I often wonder at what point you start to “pay for the name.” Certainly, those instructors have earned their reputation and if the market supports their fee, well … it is what it is. I can’t emphasize enough, if you intend on obtaining this type of training, you should take a hard look at Infinity Solutions right now. They will be forced to raise their prices at some point. The market dictates that they move in that direction as they continue to establish their position and reputation in the training community.

• Not directly related to the actual course … I wish they had a better method of registration and payment. Currently, registration involves mailing a payment or calling up to register and making arrangements to mail in the payment or drop it off in person. They should develop a webpage that will allow online registration and payment. They will need it once word starts to spread about the training being offered here in NWI.

• It is quite a drive (for me) to the range. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of suitable ranges in NWI where a course of this type can be conducted. Like any other class though, you just deal with it and travel. Some students attending the course were from the Indianapolis area so location does not seem to be a hindrance. The range location (Rochester, IN) puts this solidly in the Northern Central Indiana region. Anyone in the northern third of the state shouldn’t require an overnight stay for a single class.

• I tried really hard to come up with something else that might be considered a “con” to strike a balance with what might seem like a glowing review but I am drawing a blank. The best I could think of is that some people (nobody at the class) might not be comfortable with the two line format. Even though instructors were in the middle and often handling functional weapons for demonstrations, they were never unsafe in those demonstrations and I never felt threatened or uncomfortable. As far as students were concerned, the class was run on a three person check system with the shooter and the person on either side doing chamber checks prior to moving off the line.

SUMMARY

Excellent class that easily rivals similar classes I have attended in the past with more established names. The approach and demeanor of the instructors seems to work very well with both novice and more seasoned shooters. You will learn something new as well as be challenged in your execution of fundamentals. I would find it hard to believe that anyone could walk away feeling that they did not get their money’s worth. I was able to walk away with a new found appreciation of the platform as well as an understanding of its limitations. I was also able to correct some fundamental flaws in my reloading and presentation techniques that were borne of too many years competing in matches. Easily worth the time and money I invested.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had so much going on immediately after this class that I was unable to complete this AAR until now. In the intervening time, I lost my notes but had already formed a rough outline of what I wanted to say. I finally got around to completing the AAR this evening. I am hoping that other attendees can chime in to help fill in the blanks and make corrections (where needed).

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'm booting this back to the top since the first Infinity Solutions Shotgun 1 class of 2017 is coming up on May 20th. There have been some changes and improvements, I'm sure.

You can sign up here.

Top Bottom