Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Targets allowed at Sugar Ridge Gun Range

I haven't been up there since 2012, and I remember there were some empty 1 gal jugs being used as targets but now I have been told by a couple friends that you only use paper targets. Is this true?
    I've got a lot of aluminum cans I would really love to use as targets for my Ruger SR40C and my new Ruger American Rifle .223, so it was disappointing to hear, but I wanted to get some more opinions.
    I've also got a lot of empty whiskey bottles I'd love to shoot, but it's not necessary.
    Hope for the Best, Assume the Worse

Quote Originally Posted by Hadley1987 View Post
    I haven't been up there since 2012, and I remember there were some empty 1 gal jugs being used as targets but now I have been told by a couple friends that you only use paper targets. Is this true?
    I've got a lot of aluminum cans I would really love to use as targets for my Ruger SR40C and my new Ruger American Rifle .223, so it was disappointing to hear, but I wanted to get some more opinions.
    I've also got a lot of empty whiskey bottles I'd love to shoot, but it's not necessary.
    I'm not familiar with the club, but shooting glass is not a great idea regardless of where you ar. It's next to impossible to clean-up afterward and the pieces pose a hazard to anyone who may walk in that area. If metal cans are allowed, it's easy to police them afterward.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

I believe paper targets only at Sugar Ridge.
    I'd agree with you but then we would both be wrong

Paper targets only as per posted range rules. There also are people who stop and check compliance so make sure you have a range card with you and it is fully filled out. Also no guns allowed in holsters unless you are a LEO in uniform and on duty. The young dnr lady is easygoing but the older gentleman can be a real pain in the rear.

Rules are posted in each range area and the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by hopper68 View Post
    Paper targets only as per posted range rules. There also are people who stop and check compliance so make sure you have a range card with you and it is fully filled out. Also no guns allowed in holsters unless you are a LEO in uniform and on duty. The young dnr lady is easygoing but the older gentleman can be a real pain in the rear.

Rules are posted in each range area and the main board.
    ^^^^^ What hopper said ^^^^^

No holstered weapons is pure BS, but their range, their rules.
    What chains can hold belongs to man, the rest belongs to God! - Joshua Gianavel

I'm not worried about the holster part, just wanted to confirm the target issue
    Another stupid question, since I had gone along with my husband that time and didn't put any targets up, how does one normally put the paper target up?
    I live half an hour away, so I don't want to get there and screw something up or not have anything I might need (hammer, staple gun, whatever is used). I can also find it on youtube.

Is this a public range? If DNR enforcement is involved I suspect it is. The state does not permit holstered guns on their properties. Which is crazy since they issue LTCH for other public places but do not allow it on their ranges.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

Drawing from the holster is permitted at Parabellum.

abright@ccrtc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hadley1987 View Post
    Another stupid question, since I had gone along with my husband that time and didn't put any targets up, how does one normally put the paper target up?
    I live half an hour away, so I don't want to get there and screw something up or not have anything I might need (hammer, staple gun, whatever is used). I can also find it on youtube.
    It all depends. At our range they have plywood backer boards that you staple your targets to. It is always a good idea to have a stapler and extra staples in your range bag. Not sure how the place you are talking about is set up.
    Michael Swisher

Quote Originally Posted by cedartop View Post
    It all depends. At our range they have plywood backer boards that you staple your targets to. It is always a good idea to have a stapler and extra staples in your range bag. Not sure how the place you are talking about is set up.
    Last time I was there I saw wooden posts and stuff like that, but I am not sure if it has changed. It is public and the DNR apparently do make their occasional stops. They do have a facebook forum page, I could ask on there.....

I always use a staple gun to secure the targets to the plywood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast