• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    There seems to be a gap in the usual rifle classes offered these days. They are either designed toward tactical-door-kicking, or ultimate-1000-yard-sniper classes. Along with several of my hunting pals, I found myself wishing for a reasonable short to mid-range precision rifle class, with an emphasis on hunting scenario shots.

Fortunately INGO provided the hookup. Phylodog has made a career shooting long range and teaching others to shoot, so I connected with him and we set up a one day beginner rifle class with a max range of 400 yards. Since the crops aren't planted yet, we were able to shoot on my farm in Warren County.

Phylodog (Cory) is clearly a professional, both in knowledge and teaching ability. He jumped right in at ground level, using both classroom style teaching and range time. He covered (not necessarily in this order):

Shooting from prone, seated, and kneeling.
    Shooting off a bipod or off bags.
    Using a rear bag.
    Zero distance and max point blank range.
    Ammo selection.
    Explanation of MOA.
    Proper rifle hold and trigger press.
    Follow through.
    Elevation hold and dialing.
    Wind hold and dialing.
    Using a sling for shooting tension.
    Calling wind.

We started at 100 yards, and Cory took chronograph readings for each of our rifles and ammo, so that he could generate accurate ballistic charts for the day. We used those charts the rest of the day to determine our adjustments.

For good or bad, we had quite a bit of wind that day. Pretty steady right around 10mph, which allowed us to work on shooting in the wind, but also made accuracy at distance pretty dang tough. While we all managed to get decent groups at 300 yards (albeit with some horizontal stringing due to wind) we could barely hit steel at 400. On the upside, I now know my limits for deer and elk when it's windy. (Not very far!)

I'm sure there are aspects I'm forgetting, but Cory and the other participants can fill in the details. It was a great class and we all learned a lot!

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This sounds interesting. I know practically zero about high power rifles at distances over 100 yards. I just recieved a .243 Win. rifle as a gift yesterday though. I'll have to get a scope setup on it now.

I'll keep this in mind and see if maybe I can attend this in the future.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Sounds like a great time. I would love to learn some proper techniques for shooting my everyday hunting rifle. I am very weak shooting from different positions.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There seems to be a gap in the usual rifle classes offered these days. They are either designed toward tactical-door-kicking, or ultimate-1000-yard-sniper classes.

Everyone wants to be a ninja, no one wants to stand in horse stance all day.

Good to hear someone is making stance training a priority!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Everyone wants to be a ninja, no one wants to stand in horse stance all day.

Good to hear someone is making stance training a priority!
    No, I want to be a Jedi :):, nah skip that, give me one of those droids that can cook and clean. Back on topic, I wonder if the lack of suitable ranges for center fire rifle is a factor?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Pshaw. What can be learned from THAT guy?

Can't anyone just go out and put 2 .308" holes in a dime from 100 yards?

Wow, someone has a good memory lol.

Thanks for the kind words roscott, I hope it was beneficial for everyone. I certainly enjoyed spending the day up there and meeting some INGO members.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would say that the lack of ranges certainly doesn't help. I was one of the lucky ones to be at the farm for the class Saturday. Reid's assessment of the class was spot on. Phylodog was very professional in his approach to coaching us along and really went all out helping us to wring the most out of our rifles. This was exactly the type of class we were all looking for, a practical accuracy class at hunting distances. The wind did make things pretty tricky at long range, but I'm glad it was blowing. It was one of those rare times that you get to practice a skill and really find your limit.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Something every ethical hunter, especially those after white-tail deer, should invest in. I`d love to get a class like this someday.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Roscott and Phylodog, if you ever do this again, and feel comfortable opening it up to INGO, please count me in. I'm in North Central IN and have been looking for something like this.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I enjoyed the day (every day away from the city is a good one) and would enjoy doing it again. Unfortunately I don't have a venue to host training so I am limited to requests from those with access to a suitable piece of property.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I enjoyed the day (every day away from the city is a good one) and would enjoy doing it again. Unfortunately I don't have a venue to host training so I am limited to requests from those with access to a suitable piece of property.
    Well, if someone offers that up, I'd like to be on that mailer! I'm a rural guy trapped in the suburbs myself, I very much relate to the feeling that any day out of "town" is a good day.

Top Bottom