• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Most likely the tragic result of neglected/absent protocol.

I've been thankful for and impressed by the strict protocols enforced prior to any FoF portion of the classes I've participated in to ensure that any non-FoF weaponry and ammo was secured/precluded from entering the containment area of a drill.

If I ever attend a class where I consider such checks and protocol to be lax, I'll speak up and then leave if it's not addressed.

Who knows how many, if any, of those participants had the knowledge to even consider that or ask.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That would be the protocol that ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

Don't be silly.

When you're planning to shoot someone with a marker round, it will be loaded. I doubt he thought it was empty and was planning to just click it at her.

Protocol dictates that you follow and enforce steps (to include wanding) to preclude any other form of weaponry/ammo from entering the vicinity so the drill doesn't turn lethal when the intentional shots are fired.

Not sure how you'd even consider this a gun handling violation from what you presented. He intended to shoot her with something.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    That would be the protocol that ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

thats not the protocol and guns are not always loaded. The rule is treat them as they are always loaded. If all guns are always loaded how would you "unload and show clear" at every uspsa match? How would you disassemble a glock?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    thats not the protocol and guns are not always loaded.

We know it was not protocol for Officer Numbnuts. Now he faces Manslaughter. How's that ignoring the Four Rules working out so far for him?

If all guns are always loaded how would you "unload and show clear" at every uspsa match?

By treating the gun as a snake and not a kitty and by not pointing the gun at human beings.

How would you disassemble a glock?

Unload it and point it at something other than a retired librarian and press the trigger. I recommend a sand barrel instead of a Floridian.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    We know it was not protocol for Officer Numbnuts. Now he faces Manslaughter. How's that ignoring the Four Rules working out so far for him?

By treating the gun as a snake and not a kitty and by not pointing the gun at human beings.

Unload it and point it at something other than a retired librarian and press the trigger. I recommend a sand barrel instead of a Floridian.

But you said it was always loaded.... Saying firearms are always loaded is a state of the firearm and is not accurate and completely false .... treating a firearm as always loaded is an action of the individual.... big difference

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    As suspected, it seems there were no steps taken to preclude any lethal weaponry/ammo from entering the vicinity of the the drill, so it turned lethal when the intentional shots were fired.

Far more negligent than I imagined, it seems the presenters of the drill all lacked even a basic understanding of the strict protocols developed and required by many others to responsibly accomplish what they were attempting.

I agree that more than the shooter should face consequences for this criminally negligent catastrophe.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The level of stupidity when it comes to guns is amazing, I see more than my share at ranges. On the same vane, the shooter wanted to be reinstated to the police force, are you kidding me!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Live rounds in a training course, pointing actual weapons at actual people...so much fail here. Heck I just got to shoot a remote control cross country running dummy and they just let us use fake weapons shooting paint balls...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    thats not the protocol and guns are not always loaded. The rule is treat them as they are always loaded. If all guns are always loaded how would you "unload and show clear" at every uspsa match? How would you disassemble a glock?

I have posted this many times. It is possible to take down a glock without pulling the trigger.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom