• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have been around guns my whole life. I have hunted for years and shot pistols, concealed carrying for quite awhile.

I probably leave my gun at home more than I should and I recently have found myself in a situation where I will be a part of a safety team at a gathering place for meetings. This caused me to post another topic around to carry a gun with a safety or not as I have both.

I decided to go with a glock 19 but then I really started thinking that all of the mock practice at indoor ranges and the visualization of the scenarios happening is not good enough. I probably need to take a class where I have a chance to practice drawing at speed, rapid fire on target and maybe even shooting on the move or from positions.

I doubt I will ever need to use this and for sure will try my best to avoid conflict but it would be nice to know that I am better prepared so that I am keeping safe and prepared.

What type of class should I take and any suggestions where?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Adaptive Consulting & Training offers defensive pistol classes and private instruction. We can work with you safety team on any and all aspects to include emergency medical training. ACT has worked with church and private organization safety and security teams in the past.

I think it only fair to say the the above mentioned class would be a good place to start.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You have the right mindset, immerse yourself in information, take all the classes you have time and money for. A lot of the local instructors (I personally know ACT for sure) do private lessons so you don't have to wait for the next time it is offered.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are places to get private instruction and take a class. ACT is a very viable option for both. The link to the Defensive Pistol Class is another. I suggest doing a class or private instruction in your case. People tend to flock toward private instruction because they want the one on one time, and that is logical. But the learning in a class can be more than from the instructor. You can learn by watching others even if they are screwing up. You will get a sense of where you are compared to other people, and that might be good news or bad news. Either way it is important to know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are places to get private instruction and take a class. ACT is a very viable option for both. The link to the Defensive Pistol Class is another. I suggest doing a class or private instruction in your case. People tend to flock toward private instruction because they want the one on one time, and that is logical. But the learning in a class can be more than from the instructor. You can learn by watching others even if they are screwing up. You will get a sense of where you are compared to other people, and that might be good news or bad news. Either way it is important to know.

He's right. And since he wont toot his own horn, I will. Coach is good. I'm looking forward to time with him and BBI next month.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have trained with both ACT and Coach. Both are recommended. Each has a different background and perspective. I think it's wise to seek instruction from more than 1 reputable source - and you end up more well-rounded when you do.

... I probably leave my gun at home more than I should ...

I doubt I will ever need to use this ...

Sounds like you've made some good progress so far, but I'd also encourage you to continue to cultivate a change in mindset.

The above habit and attitude could leave you unprepared and surprised at the worst possible moment.

Possessing the tools needed to best address a situation and the anticipatory attitude/awareness to see it coming are key.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I have been around guns my whole life. I have hunted for years and shot pistols, concealed carrying for quite awhile.

I probably leave my gun at home more than I should and I recently have found myself in a situation where I will be a part of a safety team at a gathering place for meetings. This caused me to post another topic around to carry a gun with a safety or not as I have both.

I decided to go with a glock 19 but then I really started thinking that all of the mock practice at indoor ranges and the visualization of the scenarios happening is not good enough. I probably need to take a class where I have a chance to practice drawing at speed, rapid fire on target and maybe even shooting on the move or from positions.

I doubt I will ever need to use this and for sure will try my best to avoid conflict but it would be nice to know that I am better prepared so that I am keeping safe and prepared.

What type of class should I take and any suggestions where?

If you goal is defensive training then I suggest seeking out instructors and programs that focus on that objective. While there are many instructors, programs, and shooting organizations out there not all of them focus on realistic defensive training even if they claim to or call it "defensive", "tactical", "combative", etc. My personal training has always been defensive in nature and as such I seek out other instructors that also focus on that objective. A solid program that fits the bill is Combat Focus Shooting. You can go to the website combatfocusshooting.com and find their instructor list. Also, programs that emphasize force-on-force training when done properly and realistically can dramatically improve ones ability to use the firearm in self-defense. Shooting at paper targets can only do so much for you regardless of how the drills are set up. At some point those skills then need to be applied through realistic scenario training.

Hope that helps and good luck,
    Steve

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    If there is another Defensive concepts 1 class this year I don't think there is a more informative class for someone that is concealed carrying. 4-5 hours of info that will make your head spin. Coach and BBI put the class on and it's normally a couple of times a year but well worth twice what it costs IMHO. Defensive 1 is a great class and will learn very quickly that there's more to it than you can imagine. You are headed down the right road.

Top Bottom