• Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    One day I'd LIKE to.

If you're a big feller...and IIRC you are (Think we met at BigWoods years ago) ... be prepared. If you're asthmatic, take your inhaler and a backup.

Everything I've read states how physically intense it is.

I've listened to a couple of podcasts featuring Craig as a guest as well as numerous YouTube videos of him teaching/demonstrating. He's the real deal. And also seems to be a real salt-of-the-earth good dude...who you don't want to mess with.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One day I'd LIKE to.

If you're a big feller...and IIRC you are (Think we met at BigWoods years ago) ... be prepared. If you're asthmatic, take your inhaler and a backup.

Everything I've read states how physically intense it is.

That's the primary reason I have not availed myself of any opportunities to participate. It's absolutely worthwhile knowledge from a first rate teacher, but I know my limits.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've taken it. It is awesome.

Are there certain details you are looking for? I'll gladly divulge, but nothing that will ruin your experience.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've taken it. It is physical. You'll be sore. But it is not so intense that you can't do it. If you want opt out of the more intense exercises you can. I don't recommend doing that. The best part about the class is gaining a better understanding of your own limits. It is not as intense as everyone makes it out to be. Physically speaking, the skill-based grappling drills on days one and two are the toughest part. They aren't intense where you'll have to sit down, but they are long. If you don't have grappling or wrestling experience you'll probably be using muscles you don't typically use in ways you don't typically use them. You'll want to take something before bed so you can move the next day.

Take a knit cap and/or a patch of medical tape to put on your forehead.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Everyone, thank you for the replies...

I'm taking the class the first wkend of June outside of Cincy / Dayton / Columbus...

I've heard about the stocking / knit cap and will be purchasing over the Memorial Day sales, along with other suggested protective equipment.

Listened to some interviews / podcasts and been reading up. I'm gonna get my @** handed to me, and I know it... That's part of my desire to taking the class. Time to work on my valleys to bring them more level to my peaks.

True, I'm not able to be described as an XL wearing person, so my size will be a fun issue. Don't have asthma, but my allergy meds will be in use. Fluids (due to sweating at 70 degrees) will be on my list to take. Not sure about any "good" sized lunches, so I'm expecting to use the last of my energy of an evening to eat well + pain meds and my morning to get accustomed to the burn of muscles.

Anything I'm missing?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Everyone, thank you for the replies...

I'm taking the class the first wkend of June outside of Cincy / Dayton / Columbus...

I've heard about the stocking / knit cap and will be purchasing over the Memorial Day sales, along with other suggested protective equipment.

Listened to some interviews / podcasts and been reading up. I'm gonna get my @** handed to me, and I know it... That's part of my desire to taking the class. Time to work on my valleys to bring them more level to my peaks.

True, I'm not able to be described as an XL wearing person, so my size will be a fun issue. Don't have asthma, but my allergy meds will be in use. Fluids (due to sweating at 70 degrees) will be on my list to take. Not sure about any "good" sized lunches, so I'm expecting to use the last of my energy of an evening to eat well + pain meds and my morning to get accustomed to the burn of muscles.

Anything I'm missing?

I took it near the Cincy location. IIRC we did evolutions on grass for the fight portion.

If I could give you any suggestions it would be to focus on staying on your feet, the ground is a bad place to be.

I went with Clif45, who is a big guy. Two smaller guys jumped on him, he carried them around stabbing them the whole time. Guys brought trainer knives which gave them another option in the fight.

I tried to go with an open mind and blank slate. I listened many guys talk about their long list of accomplishments in the various forms of Rexkwando only to get their asses handed to them because they had never been pressure tested. Listen and do what he teaches, it will work by the end of the weekend.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I took it near the Cincy location. IIRC we did evolutions on grass for the fight portion.

If I could give you any suggestions it would be to focus on staying on your feet, the ground is a bad place to be.

I went with Clif45, who is a big guy. Two smaller guys jumped on him, he carried them around stabbing them the whole time. Guys brought trainer knives which gave them another option in the fight.

I tried to go with an open mind and blank slate. I listened many guys talk about their long list of accomplishments in the various forms of Rexkwando only to get their asses handed to them because they had never been pressure tested. Listen and do what he teaches, it will work by the end of the weekend.

I saw a 30 year Karate veteran get the crap beat out of him by someone who knew very little BJJ. It was an eye opening moment for him. And for me.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Are we talking about "Shay" a member here or is that different?

The ECQC class that people are discussing is taught by Craig (SouthNarc) from Shivworks.

It's a great learning experience. And physically demanding. Go in with an open mind (as you always should with any training) and expect to be sore and a bit beat up. I broke two fingers on the first day while grappling.

Top Bottom