• ...and so much more!
  • geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    old geezers like me.

I've not done research except post this same question to the Armed Citizen' Legal Defense Network, I am a member. They didn't have an answer.

I am 89 years of age. I can't run, I can't stoop, I can't engage in any of the hot shot competition style classes. It seems to me that all classes assume that the person is in decent shape. I am an NRA instructor so I'm quite familiar with firearms and have taught many classes. However, I'm new to the foibles that crop up as I age. I just recently traded down to a 9mm Micro Kimber from, a .40 Sig, thumb arthritis and a stiff recoil spring are not compatible.

No big deal here as I'll figure it out using experience and remembering that disparity of force can work to my advantage because of these same negatives. I'm a 60 year member of the FWR&R so I have a place to try my own techniques.

Just throwing this out for comments

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you want to make the drive then come down and take our NRA Defensive Pistol course. We won't make you stoop or kneel if you don't want. They removed the mandatory kneeling portion but we still practice it. Plus I am not OLD like you but I do have arthritis in the hands and can relate. Just don't bring the micro Kimber for the main portion of the course. Trust me I have seen people try and the gun is to small to manipulate. I can loan you a nice 9mm 1911 which have become both the favorite of both my wife and I. Both of us have hand issues.

edit: I apologize I was thinking Sig 938 when I made the micro Kimber comment. Those little Sigs are tiny and people tend to get their hands in front of the muzzle or have a hard time drawing and hitting the safety. I have no experience with the Kimbers and they have several models. So long as the barrel is over 3" and the slide is big enough to grasp the gun is fine. My wife has a Pro sized 4" Kimber and that is about the perfect sized gun.

Last edited:

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Thank you so much for the offer. I'm still in the process of breaking the Kimber in, another hundred rounds or so.
    Having had a series70 1911 in the past, this Kimber is comfortable and familiar to shoot. The ambidextrous safety and the three dot Mepro sights does the job for me. BTW, it has a 3.1 inch barrel and, so far, has been completely reliable after 150 rounds. The slide is easier to work than my Sig 320 full size .40 'house gun' and the weight is a neat 16 oz.
    DSCN0328_zpstfovhgls.jpg

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Adaptive Consulting & Training takes as part of our mission to make our training "adaptive". Not only to the circumstance but to the student. We've had students in your age group, differently abled people of many descriptions, and all have been able to train. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss your needs.

John

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    old geezers like me.

I've not done research except post this same question to the Armed Citizen' Legal Defense Network, I am a member. They didn't have an answer.

I am 89 years of age. I can't run, I can't stoop, I can't engage in any of the hot shot competition style classes. It seems to me that all classes assume that the person is in decent shape. I am an NRA instructor so I'm quite familiar with firearms and have taught many classes. However, I'm new to the foibles that crop up as I age. I just recently traded down to a 9mm Micro Kimber from, a .40 Sig, thumb arthritis and a stiff recoil spring are not compatible.

No big deal here as I'll figure it out using experience and remembering that disparity of force can work to my advantage because of these same negatives. I'm a 60 year member of the FWR&R so I have a place to try my own techniques.

Adaptive Consulting & Training takes as part of our mission to make our training "adaptive". Not only to the circumstance but to the student. We've had students in your age group, differently abled people of many descriptions, and all have been able to train. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss your needs.

John

I'm not sure if the OP is asking a question or seeking training, but to add to what obijohn said, I have significant physical limitations. What I can and cannot do obviously affects my potential responses to threats, but it also affects my choices when selecting training. There are classes from vendors in which I know I won't be able to participate to an extent that justifies the expense or time, so I avoid those opportunities. In most defensive shooting classes, I do what I can do safely and I refrain from participating in drills and activities that I cannot do safely, or I modify them so that I can.

When I helped obijohn with ACT, we had all of this at the forefront of our minds when developing the curriculum. People with physical limitations not shared by young, healthy adults are those who are most in need of options for defend themselves simply because they often lack the ability to retreat or engage in empty handed combatives effectively. That doesn't mean that obijohn's classes limit the able-bodied students, but rather he's willing and able to adapt the lessons to just about anyone who wants to learn.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    old geezers like me.

Look into Combat Focus Shooting. Combat Focus Shooting ? The Pinnacle of Defensive Handgun Instruction The emphasis is on realistic self-defense and they modify the training to fit you and any limitations you might have. There is an instructor in Fort Wayne that I highly recommend, David Rose. He is also a forum member but not sure how often he checks in. Also, if you have interest in some interactive scenario-based training I periodically offer a course called Stress Shooting in or around the Warsaw, Indiana area. The next one is planned for early September. Indiana Self-Defense Training Classes You can find the most current course schedule on the Facebook page linked at the bottom of the site but we only have one firearm-related course on the schedule right now.

Hope that helps,
    Steve

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I just want to give props to the OP for being his age, and still committed to the cause.... that is all.

Kut (tips hat)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    David Rose is a great shooter and instructor and a reasonable guy on top of it all.

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Thank you all. I've written down David Rose and will take a look. Right now I practice OODA; Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. There are too many citizens out there who are unaware of their surroundings. For me, and probably others, it's better to dodge a potential bad situation rather then depend on deadly force to resolve it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thank you so much for the offer. I'm still in the process of breaking the Kimber in, another hundred rounds or so.
    Having had a series70 1911 in the past, this Kimber is comfortable and familiar to shoot. The ambidextrous safety and the three dot Mepro sights does the job for me. BTW, it has a 3.1 inch barrel and, so far, has been completely reliable after 150 rounds. The slide is easier to work than my Sig 320 full size .40 'house gun' and the weight is a neat 16 oz.
    DSCN0328_zpstfovhgls.jpg

Dang that is nice looking! I see they make some models with an Ambi safety. Now my wife will want another gun.

Rhino and ObiJohn are a great resource and absolutely correct. Those people with the most limitations might be those most in need of tools to be able to defend themselves.

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I am really grateful for the comments here. Absolutely right on about us old geezers; we are mostly ignored by those who teach defensive use of a handgun. About the Raptor, I know that I made the right decision on trading for it. I had to wear a light glove for bench rest shooting, the unusual serrations are sharp, but off hand.........perfect for me.
    It's the first gun that I've owned that I almost don't like to cover it up in a holster. LOL.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../436878-defensive-concepts-double-header.html

We've had a fellow on a cane take level 1 and we simply incorporated his cane into the scenarios. Everything we do is based on a real case from Marion county that I had a hand in investigation, so it's as realistic as we can make it. Round count is quite low, movement is present but limited, and what you can't do you just have to learn to adapt a new method to (just like the real world, which is what we're emulating)

Level 2 is half lecture, and if you want to learn more about OODA, pre-attack indicators, body language cues, etc. both of these classes will cover it but level 2 goes into more detail. Level 2 is slightly more physically demanding in the shooting portion, but still wouldn't require any stooping and you move as fast as you want. You might not be able to shoot on the move with the method I demonstrate, but other than that I can't think of anything we'd need to modify for you.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the kind words Steve and Coach.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with "geezer". His willingness to push himself and genuine curiosity about the details of improving his ability to defend himself and others made it a pleasure to spend time together.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Thanks for the kind words Steve and Coach.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with "geezer". His willingness to push himself and genuine curiosity about the details of improving his ability to defend himself and others made it a pleasure to spend time together.

You are more than welcome! Glad it worked out that he was able to touch base with you and do some training!

Steve

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I had a session in training with Dave Rose at his range. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. The Raptor was also EXACTLY the right pick for me.
    Dave was excellent. The pointers that he gave me, plus lots of practice, will do the job for me.

I was very impressed with his 'real world' approach to defensive handgun. I'll leave all of the competition to you younger guys. I am going to run lots of round through the Raptor practicing and building up muscle memory. At 89 years of age, I'm glad that I have the basics so that I can take concentrate on Dave's lessons. Thanks to all who recommended Dave.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I had a session in training with Dave Rose at his range. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. The Raptor was also EXACTLY the right pick for me.
    Dave was excellent. The pointers that he gave me, plus lots of practice, will do the job for me.

I was very impressed with his 'real world' approach to defensive handgun. I'll leave all of the competition to you younger guys. I am going to run lots of round through the Raptor practicing and building up muscle memory. At 89 years of age, I'm glad that I have the basics so that I can take concentrate on Dave's lessons. Thanks to all who recommended Dave.

You are more than welcome! I thought Dave might be able to provide what you were looking for. So glad to hear it! He's a good guy and great instructor. I recommend him regularly...

Steve

Top Bottom