• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Anyone have a favorite stash of skills and drills they use while at the range? I like to make a plan before I go, otherwise I just burn ammo. For instance, I've been using pistol-training.com as my go to lately. It's got a lot of stuff. Just thought I'd shake the bushes and see what else is out there. Rifle or pistol. Either one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Going to print up this one. I also like P-F's FASTest, I have not been able to shoot it clean twice under 5 seconds yet. I also like shooting the FASTest in reverse order to make it more realistic or tactical.

I'll probably never hit sub 5 second on the FAST. My reload is not nearly to the standard of the guys running it that fast. I picked up Stoeger's book of dry fire drills and have been using it, but I'm much more concerned with draw and target transitions than reload speed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One round per mag. Shoot it, reload, shoot it, reload, shoot it, reload.

As basic as it gets.

I'm clear on how to practice reloads. I seldom bother during live fire, other than when the gun naturally goes empty, but do dedicate occasional dry work to it. I don't consider it a priority skill for what I do, so it gets very little of my practice time. That's why I'll never be as good at reloads as the competitors who drill it a ton, because it is a high reward skill in their arena.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Agreed. Reloading isn't a big deal for me either. I do it out of necessity and practice enough not to suck. Competitors will always make me look bad in that area.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Our "Henk" drill is a good one to run. When you feel you are "maxing" the drill, switch to a playing card and run it a 7m. 12 seconds is a good par time.

BBI's suggestion is a good one. Bill drills are good for tempo and trigger control.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    If you are looking to PT during drills, check out Pat McNamara.

He and real-world tactical's Tony Sentmanat

Yes, they are my role models in this endeavor. I take any drill and then put PT in it. Case in point, I watched a 22 madness shoot video from one of the INGO members. There were three steel targets. The center target is a different size than the outer two. You shoot left, center, right, center, left etc. Something of a change speed drill. This morning I did that but broke each string with 50 KB swings. The swings were easy but I couldn't concentrate on the shooting very well. That's where I wanted to be for training.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [video=youtube;DiCVUXQfLrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCVUXQfLrg[/video]Some work on transitions.

Top Bottom