• nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    AAR Tactical Rifle byDefensive Shooting Concepts
    Atlanta ConservationClub, Bay 8
    Sat 6-17-17 from 9amto 3 pm Instructor Jonathan Tindal

There was a very good class description on the DefensiveShooting Concepts web site but those are pulled down after the scheduled date.
    You can access upcoming class descriptions though and the site is regularly updated with the upcoming month’s options. Link here:
    Central Indiana Firearms Training - Defensive Shooting Concepts

After the initial paperwork and obligatory safety talk wechecked zero’s from around 20-25 yards. I think we shot three, maybe four, three
    round groups to confirm we were on paper. Noting our respective sight offsets we shot a few more groups concentrating on hitting the
    bullseye. This is always fun as inevitably someone forgets about their sight offset.
    In my opinion Jonathan puts more emphasis on precision/accuracy than similar classes of this type that I have taken. I think this is from his
    LEO background and it was something that I personally needed to refocus upon. My shooting had become a little‘loose’ and the added emphasis
    on improved accuracy was welcome. This class was not all about throwing lead down range but definitely about speed and accuracy. Round
    count was right at 300 rounds for the day. I believe the targets were VTAC torsotargets which showed human vital organs. They also had ‘boxes’
    illustrating the ocular triangle, thoracic cavity and pelvic girdle. We repeated numerous exercises at randomly selected head, chest and/or pelvic zones.
    Whether we were to fire a single shot, controlled pair, double tap, or other variation like a mag change was also incorporated into these drills.
    Jonathan broke out the shot timer and suddenly everything fell apart!
    The shot timer remained out the rest of the day for various activities and to set baselines and monitor any improvements we were making.
    Sure there were fumbles,which are always fun, but everyone improved significantly despite being under timer stress.
    These guys were VERY competitive but all in a FUN way.

We moved on to shooting while moving. Forwards, backwards, laterally, diagonally. Again different target area’s and round counts to mix it up.

We practiced mag changes and malfunction drills (type 1, 2& 3). While I have practiced these previously I had a SOB type 3 double feed, that we had created,
    and I couldn’t believe what it took to clear that. I was at the point where I thought I had seriously broken something since it took so much physical effort to
    force the charging handle back. Worth the price of the class just for that.

Onto obstacles/barricades. We had to shoot through two 9 hole obstacles. Left handed and right handed obstacles. I had shot these before but not having
    to use every single position consecutively plus left and right extremes. Each COF (course of fire) was 11 rounds in either the‘head, chest or pelvis’ boxes
    against the clock. Knee pads are a must on gravel/rock for this one and I’d recommend elbow pads also. This one wiped me out after a few runs and always
    looks easier when you are watching. One ‘miss’ and you wereout the running. I almost forget to mention that at every transition you had to put the safety on.
    This is another exercise, and yes it was an exercise alright a physical exercise, that I need to work on and practice.. This one got the heart rate pumping alright.

Serpentine drill. We moved on to a straight line of double stacked barrels spaced about six feet apart. I believe there were 6 or 7barrels, stacked two high.
    Two targets at the end of the line, one just to the lefthand side and one to the right hand side of the centerline of the barrels. There was a hostage
    and a bad guy on each of the targets.
    We had to serpentine down the line weaving in and out of the barrels while engaging only the bad guy.
    Minimal body exposure dictated off hand transitions were a good choice. We had to do this while moving forward to the target and the backwards to the
    start position while incorporating a mag change.
    Oh and don’t forget that safety between shots. For me this is where the earlier emphasis ontight groups
    and only hits count really paid dividends.

We rounded out the day with two more hostage type scenarios.

The first was simply a single shot drill at about 5-7 yards. A single shot to the hostage takers head against the shot timer. Several bouts of this drill were
    performed. Besides emphasizing speed and accuracy it was just fun going faster and faster until we reached our limit on both and started missing.

We wrapped up the day with another hostage style shoot situation. We were positioned about 7 yards away from two realistic heads.
    The realistic heads were spaced about a foot apart mounted in line atop a wooden post by means if a 2x4. The 2x4 acted like a mechanical turntable.
    We had to move sufficiently enough to get a line of sight/shot on the bad guy.
    As we were moving Jonathan moved the heads thwarting your chance at a shot.
    If youtook too long you lost your opportunity and had to keep working at it until you made the shot. It was very frustrating trying to get a shot off but
    this drill is far more realistic to what you would likely encounter.
    Once again this alone was worth the price of admission.

Wrap up:

The fundamentals in any of these type classes are somewhat similar. Point the gun at the threat,obey all safety rules, and neutralize the threat as necessary,
    rinse lather repeat.
    It’s the way the material is presented and the way the trainer engages the student that made this class stand out for me.
    Jonathan ‘Jon’ Tindal does a fantastic job and I wanted to share this local resource with everyone else.

Not sure of all their prices but the last two one day classes I took were $150 and you get a $25 discount after your initial course.
    Plus you also get the opportunity to win a coveted T shirt if you are the best of the best for that class!
    You also get a certificate of completion e-mailed post class.

Defensive Shooting Concepts post classes about a month in advance so it is worth checking out their offerings (new or updated offerings monthly).
    I stumbled onto them and they offer some great classes at very reasonable prices right here 45 mins or so from Indianapolis.
    I know I’ll be back and hope to see some of you there too.

Nigel

Last edited:

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Sounds like (as always) you got your moneys worth & more. I have never trained with Jonathan, that I didn't end up a better shooter, than I was that morning.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Nice AAR Nigel! Thanks for passing along the information, I appreciate it.

- Darrell

Thanks Darrell. You could probably even go home for lunch!

I have taken several classeswith him. Always a good time and good info. Priced very well imo. Nice reviewNigel

Grunt, you name did pop up a couple of times. I think you were used as an example of what we should aspire to achieve, or what we should never do... I just can't remember which one it was!

How many shooters were in theclass?

Slim, There were only three shooters on Saturday, and one left early (prearranged that way). I believe a few folks dropped out due to Fathers day weekend 'surprises' from their families. The shooters definitely benefitted from such a small class as we were able to run drills multiple times and mix it up a bit more.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    It appears I can't figure out this multi quote deal.
    Grunt, Sir you were used as a shining example of what we should all aspire to do, or was it what we should NEVER do, I just can't remember which it was.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Slim there were only three shooters this past Saturday and one left early. That was prearranged by the way. With it being Fathers day weekend I believe a few folks dropped out due to 'surprises' from their families. The shooters definitely benefitted from such a small class size though. We were able to run drills multiple times and mix it up a bit more than usual.
    How many shooters were in the class?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nigel is apparently a time traveler since he's able to report to us what he is going to do on July 17, 2017!

That was an excellent report and it sounds like a good class!

AAR Tactical Rifle byDefensive Shooting Concepts
    Atlanta ConservationClub, Bay 8
    Sat
    7-17-17 from 9amto 3 pm Instructor Jonathan Tindal

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Nigel is apparently a time traveler since he's able to report to us what he is going to do on July 17, 2017!

That was an excellent report and it sounds like a good class!

Thanks Rhino for pointing that out. Changed it in the thread itself but the main title is still wrong.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Crap, Rhino outed you Nigel, you'd better bounce to another timeline before they show up looking for you.

If I did have a time machine I'd go back and change that barricade course of fire from a miss into a hit.
    I'd also make a better choice in selecting "friends"! ...... Just Kidding.

It's a metric thing. Used to Day/Month/Year (logical ascending order) and Celsius (Freeze at 0 and boil at 100 yep way too easy) now it's MM/DD/YY and Fahrenheit. I suppose someone has to Keep Belize and Palau company.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Crap, Rhino outed you Nigel, you'd better bounce to another timeline before they show up looking for you.

Pretty sure he's going to warn me next week to keep my mouth shut two days ago.

If I did have a time machine I'd go back and change that barricade course of fire from a miss into a hit.
    I'd also make a better choice in selecting "friends"! ...... Just Kidding.

It's a metric thing. Used to Day/Month/Year (logical ascending order) and Celsius (Freeze at 0 and boil at 100 yep way too easy) now it's MM/DD/YY and Fahrenheit. I suppose someone has to Keep Belize and Palau company.

Ah! Is that why we call the system with slugs, lb-mass, lb-force, etc. the BRITISH engineering system of units? Hmm??

Top Bottom