• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    Airsoft is a major tool for our Stress Shooting defensive handgun course as well as ongoing defensive drills and scenarios. They are cost effective, easily attainable, easily replaced, and there is little risk of accidents or injuries if proper protect gear is used. they may not seem as 'cool' as the high end marking rounds and conversion kits but they serve their purpose well...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Have used them numerous times in training, and think them very useful. Those little plastic BBs do sting and leave welts and small abrasions. They especially smart when they hit knuckles, and shots to the hand happen fairly frequently since you generally have your hand out in front of your body holding a gun. Some people wear padding, but that sort of reduces the "motivation" factor. :) Don't skip eye AND face protection tho.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was into airsoft in middle school but only had spring guns,

I came across an article today on the WE Gas blow back G19 for $89.00

I can see some training application here at a relatively inexpensive cost.

Anyone doing this?

WE Glock 19 GBB Pistols at Airsoft Helper | Popular Airsoft

I do not use airsoft for shooting practice, but I've used airsoft for force on force training every time. It's an excellent tool for that application if you can keep them functional long enough to get through the class. The magazine especially are prone to leakage and failure (which can sometimes be remedied with lube). You can't beat the cost-to-benefit ratio with other options.

Some think gas powered airsoft is not painful enough to be a deterrent, but in my experience, those tend to be the people who wear heavy sweatshirts and gloves during their training. I have received plenty of welts that lasted for days and at least a dozen, probably closer to two dozen that broke the skin. The scar has faded now, but if you ever meet me in person I'll show you the spot on my forearm where Louis Awerbuck saw me exposing too much from behind cover and took a chunk out of my arm with a pellet. And I got lit up from behind by a Boone Co deputy from about five yards with 5-6 quick hits, all of which broke the skin through my t-shirt and were quite noticeable when it happened.

Eye and face protection is mandatory in my opinion. I prefer a mask with a metal mesh eye guard. They are cooler than plastic or polycarbonate windows and don't fog. Covering other body parts beyond normal clothing is counterproductive.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I have a really old one that I use for new shooters. Seems most of my students are women and I use the airsoft in the classroom so they can experience the recoil impulse prior to going in the range to shoot 22s. The way some of them jump the first time in the classroom I'm sure it's a benefit to get that out of the way before shooting the real thing.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I do not use airsoft for shooting practice, but I've used airsoft for force on force training every time. It's an excellent tool for that application if you can keep them functional long enough to get through the class. The magazine especially are prone to leakage and failure (which can sometimes be remedied with lube). You can't beat the cost-to-benefit ratio with other options.

Some think gas powered airsoft is not painful enough to be a deterrent, but in my experience, those tend to be the people who wear heavy sweatshirts and gloves during their training. I have received plenty of welts that lasted for days and at least a dozen, probably closer to two dozen that broke the skin. The scar has faded now, but if you ever meet me in person I'll show you the spot on my forearm where Louis Awerbuck saw me exposing too much from behind cover and took a chunk out of my arm with a pellet. And I got lit up from behind by a Boone Co deputy from about five yards with 5-6 quick hits, all of which broke the skin through my t-shirt and were quite noticeable when it happened.

Eye and face protection is mandatory in my opinion. I prefer a mask with a metal mesh eye guard. They are cooler than plastic or polycarbonate windows and don't fog. Covering other body parts beyond normal clothing is counterproductive.

Those were fun times. We need to get together and shoot you with some air soft. :) ;)

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    Airsoft no, but for my precision rifle stuff I do shoot .22 and .30 caliber air riles (pre-charged pneumatic). I've feel that I've really used them to get my technique sharper and more consistent...anything and everything is telegraphed and magnified by the design of the rifle. Once you get dialed in, not hard to group (respectably) at 100 yards. Really good for breathing and trigger control mechanics / training.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Used to use airsoft a lot for FOF training. Still use it occasionally. Unfortunately like rhino mentioned it can be tough to keep the gear working through a whole 2 day class. Even the better stuff has to be constantly maintained. The cold makes it even worse.

Top Bottom