• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, the "gun safety in school" comments in another thread got me thinking... again....

What would it take for me to get some sort of "official" certifications to be a fairly basic firearms instructor? I'm thinking along the lines of the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" safety for kids, and then NRA Basic-type training for kids and adults.

Where would I start?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Finding an NRA training counselor will get you through the bare bones of teaching the NRA material. In addition to that I recommend the following:

1) Attend classes. As many classes, and with as many different facilitators, as your resources will allow. See how other classes run, not just NRA classes. Pick the material and methods that make sense to you, use them.
    2) Study the pedagogy for the material and demographic you intend to teach. Adults and children learn differently. Learn all that you are able about how humans learn.
    3) See 1 and 2 above.

I don't normally chime in on threads like this one. Many misconceptions about instruction of any subject will be voiced. You seem to want to help the kiddos, so I'll help you.
    My last tip: Endeavor to become a TEACHER, not just an instructor. When you get there you will know the difference.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    While I have never taught a firearms course, I have taught courses at a couple colleges. I would suggest that whatever methods in which you choose to convey the material, you try to do a couple at the same time for each topic. For example, use both visual aids and verbal explanation before giving them a hands on experience with the technique/idea you're working on. Everyone learns differently, as obijohn pointed out, but, by using multiple methods at the same time, you will be able to ensure that as many of your students as possible will understand and retain the information that you are giving. Also, keep in mind that because one method works for you to learn won't necessarily mean your students will learn the same way.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If you're simply asking how to become certified, that's pretty easy. On NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA Certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training you can search for an I structure class. Take the class and it's pretty easy to become certified.

There are other certifying organizations, but NRA certification is obviously the biggest and most well known. I don't believe there is actually an Eddie Eagle instructor cert. There is a Basic Pistol instructor which also allows you to teach the First Steps. You might also consider the Range Safety Officer certification.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have the Eddie Eagle materials. I didn't take a class. I believe that active NRA instructors can request the materials. I would start with completing the RSO certification as well as Rifle, Shotgun or Pistol instructor.

If if you want to work with youth you might also consider Boy Scouts or 4H shooting sports.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    So, the "gun safety in school" comments in another thread got me thinking... again....

What would it take for me to get some sort of "official" certifications to be a fairly basic firearms instructor? I'm thinking along the lines of the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" safety for kids, and then NRA Basic-type training for kids and adults.

Where would I start?

You don't need a certification to teach the Eddie Eagle materials. You can purchase the DVD and other materials from the NRA and offer classes to kids in your community. You will find the free instructor guides here- https://eddieeagle.nra.org/program-resources/program-materials/

To get certified as an NRA instructor you need to attend a certification course under an NRA Counselor. There are counselors around the country that offer instructor courses pretty regularly.

If you happen to have interest in teaching courses specifically geared toward self-defense I would highly recommend getting a USCCA instructor certification. There are USCCA counselors around the country as well that offer instructor courses. There are quite a few people that are counselors in both the NRA and USCCA that can offer training and certification in both organizations.

Steve

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I'll follow up with a few items you've posted. Other folks have encouraged me to take the NRA Instructor course(s), so maybe I should just bite the bullet.

A bit of my background: I've been in the "educational technology" field for 20 years. Taught at the college level for 10 years (business tech and educational tech courses). I've developed and delivered training for teachers over the last 10 years. Don't do it as much today, but manage the people that do. I know enough to be dangerous. ;) And, enough to know kids will be totally different. Easier in some ways, as they don't have to un-learn much. Honestly, kids seem to have better attention spans than most adults today, too.

My daughter is still at the "Eddie Eagle" age and mindset. I'm betting most of the other kids her age are (just entering 2nd grade). So, I'll start there. I haven't seen any firearms safety offered at her school, so I'll mention it to her teacher this year and see what she says. Best case, it is already in the curriculum and they just haven't gotten to it. Worst case, they freak out and call the cops (kidding: they all know I carry outside of the school, and most know us pretty well personally). Most likely, they just haven't really considered it, and it can be a touchy subject with some parents.

Wish me luck.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Some good comments above. The worst classes I've had have been from real life bad asses with combat experience and all that but couldn't teach at all. I can shoot drills on my own. For free. If you want to be an instructor...Teach.
    Best of luck!

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Some good comments above. The worst classes I've had have been from real life bad asses with combat experience and all that but couldn't teach at all. I can shoot drills on my own. For free. If you want to be an instructor...Teach.
    Best of luck!

I would agree. However, if you want to be a good instructor, you have to be a good student first. Start taking classes-thats where you learn how to teach.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    Hello, I teach NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor Courses. I have had several requests lately for a pistol Instructor Class and will be posting one soon. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I live in Avon and am guessing you are in Danville or at least nearby. Is Jon Bowden still president of the Danville Conservation Club? I have been meaning to reach out to him about joining that club.

Here are a few more details on becoming an NRA Pistol Instructor. There are two courses you take. One is called BIT and is basic instructor training. I usually teach it on a Friday Night. This course only covers how to teach the NRA way. You will pick up a few things on handling firearms in a class. the teaching stull you will already know. Saturday all day is then pistol instructor at the end of the day there is a test and a shooting portion, assuming you pass and the NRA approves you. You are then an NRA Pistol Instructor. Let me know if you have office 365, I can send a link to more info. I give a discount to those that work with youth.

This training will set you up to teach an NRA course. It will not cover Eddie Eagle or other youth instruction programs. It will give you access to discounted insurance if you are sued from something that happens as a result of a course and you get the ability to post classes on the nra website. It gives you credibility, training and materials, but does not give you Eddie Eagle training. I beleive that is free. I dont have experience with Eddy Eagle. One other option is the Refuse to be a victim course. That may be a good fit for you. Sorry but I dont teach that one either. I would check into those two first. I hope this helps. Thanks for wanting to help youth.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks, bthomp9. I'll watch for your instructor class. I'm just up in Brownsburg, so practically a neighbor. I know Bowden is still active @ the conservation club, but not sure if he is still on the board. I don't get to their meetings very often. Just go out a few Sundays to fish with my daughter, or do a little plinking.

I downloaded the Eddie Eagle info from the NRA at: https://eddieeagle.nra.org/program-resources/program-materials/
    Pretty straight forward. All stuff I've taught my girl anyway: Stop, don't touch, leave (they say "Run Away"), and tell an adult.

I figure my focus is for kids (and adults) to be safe, respectful, and not afraid. There are other instructors much better at self-defense and marksmanship.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would agree. However, if you want to be a good instructor, you have to be a good student first. Start taking classes-thats where you learn how to teach.

Correct.

By the time you get a year or two of training regularly (and study of such) under your belt, you might well think differerently of those you trained with in the beginning.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom