• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0182WEMGA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

This is a pretty solid book that is well worth the read, particularly if you've not been punched in the face as an adult or if you have been punched in the face but weren't sure why. It's a stark and helpful look into the world of violence, the break down of different types (social status vs resource seeking, for example), and how to deal with each. It does touch on unarmed self defense as well as weapons, "command presence", etc.

Remember this is written for a national audience and is colored by the author's west coast experience. I think that, for Indiana, he vastly overstates the legal consequences of self defense without withdrawal and also incorrectly talks about minimal force (we use reasonable force). He also makes some minor mistakes on Miranda (he confuses arrested for detained). It does give you an idea of the mindset should you be forced to defend yourself in less friendly jurisdictions, though, and that broader exposure is not a bad thing.

It's also a good read for professionals who deal with violence often, soldiers, jailers, bouncers, cops, etc. You'll probably see something you've done that he explains why doing that is stupid. I sure had several "yeah, I've done that, and yeah, it was dumb" moments while reading it. He calls it your inner monkey. It's a combination of ego and what you believe social expectations are (especially powerful for younger guys in front of women they are attracted to...) and leads us to do lots of dumb things, violence related or not.

I also appreciate that several times in the book he refers you to someone else or simply says "I don't know". An example is dealing with identity issues as an aging fighter, as in coming to terms with the fact you aren't as fast, as strong, etc. as you used to be and how that fits with your image of who you are. He points out it exists and admits he has no good answers of how to cope.

"Meditations on Violence" by the same author is also a good read.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yes Rory Miller's books are very enlightening, have recommended them before here and elsewhere.

I find his blog useful as well: Chiron

ETA: Oh, and his Conflict Communication is a good read too. It came out of a series of seminars he gave on how things he learned about communicating with frequently/potentially violent inmates (he was a prison guard for years), and cops in his audience kept saying "that sounds like my boss!". He realized his communication model had broader application than just dealing with the felonious. Draws on his insights on the inner monkey the BBI references above.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom