• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Thursday, October 5th at the Lawrence County Sheriff's Department. 5pm-8pm. I pulled the description off their facebook event page.

Millions of People are Victims of Crime Annually - Don't be One of Them!

Experts agree that the single most important step towards ensuring your personal safety is making the decision to refuse to be a victim. That means you must have an overall personal safety strategy in place before you need it.

The seminar teaches easy-to-understand methods you can use to increase awareness and prevent criminal confrontaion. In just a few hours, you will get the tools you need to develop your own personal safety strategy, including:

• The psychology of the criminal mind
    • Home and Phone Security
    • Automobile & Travel Security
    • Personal and technological security
    • Self defense devices and training options
    • And more!

There is NO CHARGE for this class and it is open to adults 18 and older.

You MUST pre-register no later thanSeptember 28th, 2017.

To register, send an email to Chief Aaron T. Shoults (ashoults@lawrencecounty.in.gov) with your name, address, and telephone number. You will receive a confrimation email once your information has been received, or;

Pick up, fill out, and turn in a registration form in the upper lobby at the Sheriff's Department!

SPACE IS LIMITED TO 30 SO DON'T WAIT!!!!

For more information, contact Chief Shoults at 812-277-2030

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This looks interesting. Has anyone ever attended or taught one of these? Is it worth the 3+ hour time investment? Does anyone know Chief Shoults?

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Wife and I attended the "Refuse to be a victim" course in Lafayette, IN. It was two days, two hours each day at the county sheriff's office.

I knew and do a lot of what was covered, but there were some things I did not know or was not aware of. Since it was free it was worth it, I would have paid $60 for the two of us to go. It is an NRA course so they should have details of what is covered. I think it would be good for anyone to attend as they covered a lot of material.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the report. I think I'll wait and see if Monroe County does something similar. I have a couple cop friends. I'll check with them to see if anything is in the works.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Attended a similar course (same course?) when NRA was in Indy. I forget how long it was but I did not find myself checking my watch or looking to sneak out the back door. Decent handbook, picked up an extra copy for my son. While it was at the NRA convention, very little of the course had to do with guns. It was more situational awareness, security and simply being smart. Worth your time even if you already know everything.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    This looks interesting. Has anyone ever attended or taught one of these? Is it worth the 3+ hour time investment? Does anyone know Chief Shoults?

I am a certified RTBAV instructor. The lessons are well laid out but I have to say that this program is one of the most dry presentations that I offer. Unfortunately it's 100% powerpoint-based and as an instructor I am required to adhere to the lesson plan as provided. That said, if you don't mind a 3+ hour power-point presentation and you are looking to learn more about general crime prevention- home safety, travel safety, automobile security, etc. then it's worth the investment.

Steve

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I attended (rather my wife and her friend attended and I was just the transportation)the LCSD Refuse class.

I have been going to classes and taking training for several years now. The booklet and the PowerPoint have a lot of good info if you are just getting started in the realm of self defense, a refresher never hurt anyone. ;) Over all the class is worth the time, especially if you are just getting started.

My wife and her friend LOVED IT. They thought it was great. New info and ideas.
    The instructors were locked into the PowerPoint presentation, and did/could NOT really deviate from it.

There was no charge for this class. Free classes are good.
    For me, I would have not paid much more than $15-20. I am not claiming to know it all or be better than the instructors, it is just with the time I have already spent training the value for this class would not be there for me.
    It was explained that the LCSD is using this as a community outreach program. They have plans to offer it again, as well as other classes. Like their Facebook page for updates.

I saw no signs prohibiting firearms where the class was given. ;)

Top Bottom