• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I am a long time shooter (informal shooting, hunting and competition) but not a formally trained shooter. I am looking to take my first formal rifle class and am thinking hard about the Revere Riders 125 course in Bedford, IN. I need to make a decision quick but am interested in opinions or reviews.

My interest is in practical shooting, defensive shooting and competition (2 gun & 3 gun at a for fun level). I am not equipped for real long range shooting (more than 300 yards) and my interest is more in the contact to 200 yard range. Give me recommendations. Thanks in advance.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yes. Take the Revere's Riders course. I have taken the basic rifle and basic pistol and enjoyed them both and learned a lot.

I would be oit there for the Bedford shoot too if I didn't have prior commitments.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

/thread

Ive done Appleseed, (got my rifleman patch) and am going to Rifle 125 in December with Haven and a friend. Even though it is the same material, (same instructors, new org, long story) I feel I'll benefit from a refresher.

You wont regret the training. And the history lessons that are taught in between the shooting sessions are top notch. I recommend it ESPECIALLY for kids. But it is good for adults alike.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    they recommend a mag fed 22lr so you can concentrate on technique without worrying about flinch and other factors.

If you dont own one they can find you one to borrow typically, worst case.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Take a .22 or a .223?

It's best to start with a 22, but there is no reason not to bring both. Just bring enough ammo, and if possible, try to have a solid 25yd zero beforehand on both. That will save time, and you'll be able to focus more on the teaching points versus worrying about your zero. There are loaners available, but again, it's best to state that you need one upfront so we can make sure to have one ready to go. The Bedford range and cadre are spectacular, and you will have a great time.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Thanks all for the opinions and advice. I have my own guns so I won't need to borrow I just wasn't sure which to bring. I am going to take 308jakes advice and bring both a .22 and an AR.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have taken Appleseed, but not Reveres Riders so if there is a big difference, I apologize. These are great classes and a lot of fun, but just be forewarned, they are completely different from fighting rifle classes or 3 gun type competition. I mean like pretty much night and day different. This is not to say one is better than the other, just that they accomplish different objectives. I loved the history in Appleseed and there was very solid marksmanship training to include using a sling as a marksmanship aid. In a fighting rifle type class you will learn (hopefully) marksmanship, but much more about gunhandling, manipulations, tactics. There is some crossover of course, but IMHO they are worlds apart. Ideally take both.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have taken Appleseed, but not Reveres Riders so if there is a big difference, I apologize. These are great classes and a lot of fun, but just be forewarned, they are completely different from fighting rifle classes or 3 gun type competition. I mean like pretty much night and day different. This is not to say one is better than the other, just that they accomplish different objectives. I loved the history in Appleseed and there was very solid marksmanship training to include using a sling as a marksmanship aid. In a fighting rifle type class you will learn (hopefully) marksmanship, but much more about gunhandling, manipulations, tactics. There is some crossover of course, but IMHO they are worlds apart. Ideally take both.

THIS! Both are good and teach different subjects. AS/RR lay down a SOLID foundation of marksmanship. Their goal is to get your bullet exactly where you want it in a reliably repeatable manner. Once you understand that, then you can add the manipulations, etc. IMHO the latter is useless without the former... It doesnt matter how well you can manipulate that rifle and use tactics if you cant hit the target.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You will be in good hands with the class talked about above, but an additional class that you should also consider is this one.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-rifle-101-deer-creek-conservation-club.html

That is a really good suggestion! Thank you, sir!

This is a very good point that had to be addressed. The student is well advised to consider their goals and interests when selecting training courses. The Appleseed & Revere's Riders classes are excellent for the fundamentals of marksmanship, but are geared toward situations when the shooter has the luxury of time and options to select formal shooting positions with a supportive sling. That's part of a fantastic foundation to build. Classes like the most excellent option Coach mentioned deal with more emergent circumstances where time is very limited and you can't choose how you'll be standing (or if you can stand), you may have to move while you're doing it, you may have a moving threat, holdovers for close range, anatomy and placement of shots, etc. etc. Different objectives!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    You can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions.

I have taken, and continue taking classes from all the above.

I would agree that the basic rifle offering from Revere's Riders is similar to what is offered in the Appleseed program. You can take this 'basic' rifle course and learn something new every single time. Getting a 'patch' by hitting a certain score is one goal and measurable, but can you do it every time ? How about clearing the target? Perfect score. Every time. I find there's room for improvement or perfecting my technique at every 'basic' rifle event I attend.
    Some of the other Revere's Riders events like Carbine .223 couldn't be more different from the 'basic' rifle type class. This does involve shooting on the move, multiple threat engagement, moving targets, CQB to 200-300 yards, malfunction drills and more. This is not what some people associate with Appleseed but Revere's Riders do offer these classes and so much more.

ACT offer a set curriculum, and some great classes, having said that it is always somewhat fluid and tailored to the class participants. They also offer private or custom sessions tailored to your needs.

There are some GREAT opportunities here in our back yard. Great instructors and opportunities.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I strongly feel that a student is well served to take a class like "Revere's Riders Rifle 125", or an Appleseed Clinic and then take tactical/fighting/defensive rifle classes from other schools.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I think the RR125/Appleseed model provides a strong foundation for becoming a proficient marksman. That model also provides a nice introduction to concepts and procedures that are common in formal firearms training. I really do not know of anyone who does a better job of teaching the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship (granted, I do not know much to begin with). That is their specialty. Also, they are ridiculously inexpensive in both tuition and ammo.

After RR125, I would suggest the ACT class mentioned above. When I took it, the material nicely built on what I had learned from my fundamental marksmanship classes. They presented a very practical approach to rifle use (as opposed to the strictly theoretical approach from my fundamentals classes). After that, I went to Tactical Response and took FIghting Rifle. That class covered mostly what we discussed at ACT, but in a broader scope and in more depth. Again, I was grateful for my good grounding in fundamental marksmanship before heading to Camden and I was grateful that I had been introduced to many of the topics by my training at ACT. This previous training allowed me to focus on the things that were really unique to my training at Tactical Response. Of the two tactical/fighting/defensive rifle classes, ACT's class was a better value for the money, but Tactical Response covered more material in more depth.

If Revere's Riders, ACT and Tactical Response were hosting defensive carbine courses and I had to choose one as a first defensive rifle course, I would take ACT's. I think they are better at that type of topic than the RR's folks and they are a better value for an intro to the topic than Tactical Response. If They were all hosting fundamentals of rifle marksmanship courses, I would take the Revere's course because I think they are better at that. If I wanted to spend a bunch of money and get some really unique education on fighting with a rifle, I would go to Camden for Fighting Rifle, but not until I took RR's rifle 125 and then ACT's rifle 101, so I would be prepared to really focus on the unique stuff in Camden.

High round count move and shoot rifle classes are expensive. I really do think there can be value to high round count tactical classes, but the student needs to be ready. If the student is being introduced to the concepts of breath control, trigger reset, front sight focus and the rest of the fundamentals, I think it is unwise to pile on to that already full plate by adding "move, shoot, communicate".

I also figure there is inherent value in taking training from a variety of schools, as opposed to taking all (or nearly) all of your training from one school. Everyone has a different approach and everyone has something you can learn.

I advocate training at a variety of schools and cherry picking those schools for what each one is best at.

Fair?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Excellent response.

How can someone decide what schools are bad at teaching? Where do the Haley, Fisher, McNamara, Costa, Petty, Sharp, Aprill, Douglas, Chapman, Hendricks, McPhee, Reston, Gonzales, etc. etc. etc. fit into the pathway?

Your path of RR, ACT, TR seems like a very fluid one that makes a ton of sense.

Within 6 hours we Hoosiers have access to the best training in the world, what sends people their respective schools?

Interestingly, I looked at the OP again and saw what he wants to do. TR would be far down the line on recommendations for someone who wants to learn 2 of the 3 requirements in the OP (practical and competition). I've trained under a TR guy (Marr) and while he did teach defensive shooting well, the others not so much.

Maybe a pathway of RR, ACT, ACT, ACT, ACT, then McNamara would be better?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom